Sad Reminder

My friend lost her 19 yo daughter to a rare liver disease. 7 years later it’s still extremely difficult. We lost 3 friends between the ages of 59-67.

It is not only the big 'D' that concerned us when we decided to retire early. It was the ability to enjoy as many retirement years as possible in good health and with the physical ability to meet our retirement goals.

We were grounded for almost a year because of a serious health issue. Now resolved, we are able to get back to doing the things we enjoy and to our extended travel schedule..

We appreciate our good health now more than ever since it was prematurely threatened.

I worked with a small crew of 8 in a large company. When I left, the company hired two to replace me. (long overdue) Both were my friends and I counseled them to take the job. One died from a heart attack at 49 a year later, and the other friend another 6 months later at age 60, again heart attack. And then within a few months another worker in the same dept. died of a heart attack. All from a small crew.

At my retirement the personal dude said I should consider myself lucky to go at age 49 cause the average retirement in my company was 7 years.

When I was given a golden handshake at 59 I planned to take four-six months off and then return to work. I never did. Never even looked for work-consulting or otherwise. I just decided I had enough and possessed the financial resources to make it work.

Time is so much more valuable to me than money.

+1

Very similar to my story. I was 58, the "golden handshake" was more of an "aluminum handshake" and I thought I'd likely find another job to take me into my early 60's. But, like you, I liked the freedom way too much to give it up and DW and I found a way to trim expenses so that I've never needed or had a penny of earned income since. Absolutely no regrets.

My 63yo < educator neighbor is at home hospice, he has stopped treatment for his cancer in early December. He retired 3 years ago officially, but even last semester, he continued to teach part time at a local university. I'm going to miss him immensely. Please pray for his family.

Back
Top Bottom