Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 01-01-2010, 10:25 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Never met a politician I really liked.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-01-2010, 10:35 AM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicente solano View Post
Never met a politician I really liked.
Me neither. I usually vote for one I dislike the least.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
Unfortunately, even if this is true their family may NOT have "impervious" skin, and yet they get dragged through the mud as well.

I recall the speech Colin Powell made when he declined a presidential bid, citing desire to protect his family's privacy and to protect them from getting slimed in the process.

So in reality, to be a career politician, maybe you have to be willing to throw your family under the bus. It's another reason why I've often said that the kind of people I'd like to have in office tend to have the character traits that make them not want it, unfortunately.
Yes, I agree 100% with you. I myself find name calling and smear campaigns distasteful. But sadly, there is no good alternative to have an open system. I still prefer our society to the ones where the "eminent" leader has his statue in every town square, and his picture in 100ft tall posters. People kowtow to him, and those who even doubt his superior God-like intellect and "benevolence", leave alone calling him names, would be taken away, sometimes in broad daylight and not even in the middle of the night. Just look at the thread on North Korea currency to see an example of a current on-going regime.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 01-01-2010, 10:46 AM   #23

And I never could stand their Christmas/New Year messages to the public in general....
I won´t go on on this subject of the politicians as a class. Give me the modern military any day.
Old 01-01-2010, 11:01 AM   #24
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by metabasalt View Post
I was just hoping for something better.
Me, too.
Old 01-01-2010, 11:02 AM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Two signs of a healthy democracy:
-- Folks openly grouse about and distrust the government and politicians
-- They elect leaders with a self-deprecating sense of humor. I don't trust leaders who aren't self-aware enough to recognize their faults and aren't secure enough to laugh about them.
Old 01-01-2010, 11:05 AM   #26

Samclem: I TOTALLY agree with you.
Old 01-01-2010, 11:15 AM   #27
Give me a forum ...

I happened to see some old newspaper cartoons from the 1800s making fun of Abraham Lincoln. But then Lincoln was of course controversial. I wonder if Washington and Jefferson were spared.

PS. By the way, I read that Lincoln had a real good sense of humor, and liked to tell jokes. Washington on the other hand was high-strung and had thin skin.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 01-01-2010, 12:23 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Jeesh, I don't know how you discuss a topic like health care without having some political influence. So if I say I'm in favor of the public option, that is OK, but if I say I'm in favor of the Democrat position it's not? Or is even the idea of a "public option" too politicized?

Can we talk about the legislative process that is crafting a bill that will impact all retirees and indeed citizens? Is it fair game to talk about how the different sides, or individuals involved, are helping or hindering the process?

As long as political discussions don't degenerate into name calling rants, I don't see what the problem is.
Old 01-01-2010, 03:09 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by . . . Yrs to Go View Post
....As long as political discussions don't degenerate into name calling rants, I don't see what the problem is.
Agreed! Unfortunately however, past experience here shows that it usually does degenerate into name calling rants.....sad, but nonetheless true. So, I determined sometime back that I wouldn't even get started on any political subject posted anywhere on here....only because I know it will devolve into ear-biting and shin-kicking and snide remarks. I have resigned myself to only have political discussions in a 'face to face' environment.....so I can reach across the table an' smack the stupid outta any idiot that would dare disagree with my correct view of the matter being discussed!!!

Although much of the above was said with some levity thrown in, in all seriousness, I now really do only have political discussions 'face to face'.

(and that ends my contribution to this thread....due to the possible political subject matter. )
Old 01-01-2010, 03:22 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Hmmm - Andy Jackson, hero, polititian, President - they put up a statue in the square down amonst the toursts et al.

In the thirty years I lived in New Orleans - I often pondered how many generations of pigeons pooped on his head. Poor guy.

AND the battle of New Orleans was really fought in Chalmette.

heh heh heh -
Old 01-03-2010, 09:58 PM   #31
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
I am in favor of the political discussions... yes, some are pointed and can get a little heated.... but if you do not like them, then you can stay out of them...

To me, politics is a major part of our lives... because of the debt and spending etc... how they take from someone to give to another... the rules they make that tell you how you have to live... I am surprised how many people ignore it...
What he said.
Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
Thanks for posting, but I very much disagree with you.
- Why would you be glad that the Health Bill Thread was closed? There was a lot of good information presented there, and probably more would have been added if it had remained open. There was discussion of the bill's contents (pro's and con's), its particular relevance to early retirees with HSAs, the prospects for final passage, etc.
- You think this forum has a lot of political junk? I'd like to know what else you are reading. There's more polite, respectful, and well-reasoned discussion here than anywhere else I've found. And, if even this is too much rough-and-tumble for a sensitive reader, the politics is generally segregated to a particular sub-forum.

Being an informed citizen takes work. Like it or not, the machinations of public policy have a very big impact on the wealth of Americans, including early retirees. I welcome the opportunity to exchange views with others, and I think sometimes we go too far here to stop the discussions early.

Again, thanks for the note. Maybe just read what you want. It's not hard to ignore posters or threads. I recommend you start right now by adding me to your "ignore" list if I'm not there already, because that will make everyone a little happier.
Yeah. That.
Old 01-04-2010, 09:02 AM   #32
gone traveling

Sam, A+ on your response. It is sometimes difficult to discuss FIRE related matters like health care, taxes, government spending , etc without the topic taking a turn into the politics involved since our elected officials control the legislative processes involved in creating and funding federal, state and local programs. After watching what unfolded here last fall with the professional bloggers during the elections, I understand the mods decision to limit political discussion on this board (although I disagree on where to set the bar)

Here is the only fail-safe way to avoid the limited political commentary allowed on FIRE: Ignore everyone and everything!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ostrich.jpg (21.9 KB, 0 views)
Old 01-04-2010, 11:25 AM   #33
Recycles dryer sheets

Since I'm the one who started this thread I thought I'd go back and read the health bill thread again. For those who said they thought it was useful I agree, through response 5 or 6. After that I saw more and more opinion, e.g. congressman who didn't get pork were chumps. Since the thread was closed I can't very well go quoting it without reopening it in a sense. So I stand by my stance that I'm happy to see it was closed and will leave it at that. For those who think I'm advocating burying my head in the sand maybe you should re-read what I said. I said I thought all Americans should be interested in what happens with the health care bill. That's why I decided to read it, even though I feared there would be a lot of opinion masquerading as fact. And I did find a lot of opinion masquerading as fact, as least that's how it struck me. The other forum I mentioned is Bogleheads. I really don't mean to compare the two or criticize one over the other. I enjoy both though I have spent far more time at Bogleheads. I was just surprised at some of what I read in that thread and thought some readers of this forum might be interested in my opinion on it. Thanks to all who have responded thoughtfully to my original post.
Old 01-04-2010, 11:32 AM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Yes, the typical person is quite sensitive; that's why we are no politician.

It took me a while to realize that politicians, of any ideology, have VERY tough, thick, impervious skin. I do not think that I have to feel pain for any of them, because they themselves don't.

Not really... IMO... some are very good at not showing how much they dislike something.... but then go back to their office and put the other person on their black list... or start to figure out how to get them back...
Old 01-04-2010, 01:15 PM   #35
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by metabasalt View Post
For those who said they thought it was useful I agree, through response 5 or 6. After that I saw more and more opinion...

Thanks to all who have responded thoughtfully to my original post.

Aren't all discussions based upon opinions? How can you have a considered dialogue without different points of view?

You're welcome!
Closed Thread