Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-07-2012, 11:50 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
There's probably a good middle ground strategy here without going overboard as I have. If you try a salt substitute and find it indistinguishable from real salt, it's a slam dunk to use it.
Sure...but I don't ever actually use any salt at home. Any salt I get is from what is in food I buy at the grocery store or at restaurants.

I am not heedless of salt consumption, I do pay attention to it and try to reduce it. DH and I were at the grocery store yesterday and he was wanting to buy turkey for sandwiches and noticed that most of them had over 800mg of sodium per serving. We went through the products until we found one that was 200mg per serving.

Still...when I was recording all the food that I ate I made it my goal to eat 1500mg per day and usually it ended up closer to 2000 to 3000mg particular on days that I ate out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor View Post
I hope you guys are talking about mg (milligram) of sodium, as 3000g of sodium is over 6lbs!
Umm yes that was a typo.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-07-2012, 12:25 PM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

If I were going to cut out salt (my worst culinary nightmare!), I would much rather wean myself away from the taste of salt, rather than adding a salt look-a-like (sort of like if I were to become a vegetarian, the last thing i would want would be meat-flavored soy patties).

Old 06-07-2012, 03:04 PM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
rather than adding a salt look-a-like
Just make sure you taste the salt substitutes. KCl is salt, it's just a different salt. I just tried the two and if there's a difference, it is slight.

And, a cautionary tale: Last year I wanted daughter Jenny to try a salt substitute. I put down two pinches of regular salt (both exactly the same), and told her one was a salt substitute.

She tasted them both, then pointed to one and said "Oh, yuck, that's the substitute -- it tastes terrible." They were the same.

It shows you how strongly our taste is subject to our mind.
Old 06-07-2012, 03:15 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl

Just make sure you taste the salt substitutes. KCl is salt, it's just a different salt. I just tried the two and if there's a difference, it is slight.

And, a cautionary tale: Last year I wanted daughter Jenny to try a salt substitute. I put down two pinches of regular salt (both exactly the same), and told her one was a salt substitute.

She tasted them both, then pointed to one and said "Oh, yuck, that's the substitute -- it tastes terrible." They were the same.

You are just plain evil, Al.
Old 06-07-2012, 06:49 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsmeow

Yes, it is when you eat out or eat frozen foods or other prepared foods that you get hit with the sodium. I remember I went to a restaurant meal awhile back that was fine in terms of calories and was relatively "healthy" food...but when I looked up the nutritional info later I was stunned to see it had over 3000g of sodium!

When tracking my food I find that I tend to eat between about 2000g and 3000g of sodium a day -- more on days I eat out. But, my blood pressure is usually about 118/80 or lower so I don't worry too much about it.
I couldn't resist so I kept track of sodium intake for the day. Im in your range, certainly not any less. I am under the impression that 1500 mg is what you should strive to stay under. I wouldn't be surprised if there hasn't been a day in my life since kindergarden I have been under that. Heck, 2 cans of chunky soup is over that. If my caloric intake was anywhere near the proportion of my salt intake, I would look like a twin brother to my avatar.
Old 06-07-2012, 08:44 PM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:

If I had to quit eating "regular" salt, I would skip the salt substitutes too no matter how identical their taste is to "regular" salt--i.e., I'd get over the salt addiction completely. If I had to .
Old 06-07-2012, 08:50 PM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

I would rather have a root canal than give up salt.
Old 06-07-2012, 09:00 PM   #28
Administrator

If I had to give up salt, I would probably increase my consumption of other spices. If my food is (spicy) hot enough, I doubt I could even tell if it was salted or not. It is so hard to imagine living on a low salt diet, though. It is seems ubiquitous.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 11:42 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever

If I had to quit eating "regular" salt, I would skip the salt substitutes too no matter how identical their taste is to "regular" salt--i.e., I'd get over the salt addiction completely. If I had to .
Here's the thing: the potassium is good for you. The more you eat the better. If you were convinced of that, what would be the logic of giving it up?
Old 06-08-2012, 12:39 AM   #30
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Here's the thing: the potassium is good for you. The more you eat the better. If you were convinced of that, what would be the logic of giving it up?
Potassium within reasonable limits is good for you. Overdo it too much and it can be VERY dangerous.
Old 06-08-2012, 06:30 AM   #31
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
DH gets his potassium in a supplement--he doesn't tie it to a salt shaker. Could that work?
Old 06-08-2012, 09:35 AM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever

DH gets his potassium in a supplement--he doesn't tie it to a salt shaker. Could that work?
Unfortunately, no. Here's why. Potassium is indeed dangerous to some people with certain medical conditions. As a result, supplements are limited by law to 99 mg of potassium. That's a small fraction of the RDA of 4700 mg.
Old 06-08-2012, 10:49 AM   #33
Moderator Emeritus

Now you've confused me. Never mind.
Old 06-08-2012, 06:02 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

People rarely eat salt alone. Maybe the first taste was a shock, or the second taste was just too much.

I just don't take much stock in your little experiment. Prepare two salty dishes with each type, and give the sampler three samples - two of which are identical. Then see if they can pick out the difference and a preference.

edit/add: And what if the two samples you used were KCl? What would that result tell us?

-ERD50
Old 06-08-2012, 11:37 PM   #35
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Unfortunately, no. Here's why. Potassium is indeed dangerous to some people with certain medical conditions. As a result, supplements are limited by law to 99 mg of potassium. That's a small fraction of the RDA of 4700 mg.

My Morton salt substitute has 610 mg of potassium per 1.2 gram serving. If I was already getting lots of potassium in my diet and believed you when you wrote.

Quote:
Here's the thing: the potassium is good for you. The more you eat the better.
I might think it would be a good idea to consume 10 servings and could overdo it to the point of it being dangerous. I hope you realize that it is potassium that is the killer in lethal injection death sentences.
Old 06-09-2012, 10:04 AM   #36
Give me a forum ...

I agree with you, J, although water is probably in the lethal injections also, and that doesn't indicate that it's dangerous.

Is Potassium Dangerous? | LIVESTRONG.COM

Why Your Sodium-Potassium Ratio Is So Important
Old 06-10-2012, 02:44 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

I took my BP yesterday morning, and it was 121/73. Conclusion? - I'm not going to worry about the salt in my diet for now.
Old 06-10-2012, 05:12 PM   #38

The last time I checked, Japan's consumption of salt is the highest in the world (all the miso soup and noodle soups they eat, not to mention the various pickled vegetables they eat??) and coincidentally (or not), they have one of the highest stomach cancer incidents, especially in men. Some people say smoking is the problem, some say salt. Maybe combination compounds the probability (more males smoke.) But they still enjoy longevity, although numbers for the males aren't as impressive as for the females.

What does it all mean in regards to salt??

I have no idea.
Old 06-11-2012, 01:55 AM   #39

I have not read the rest of this thread but I agree with jclarksnakes. Please do not over consume potassium. All you need to do is to google "potassium" and "arrhythmia". Keep safe everyone.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jclarksnakes View Post
Potassium within reasonable limits is good for you. Overdo it too much and it can be VERY dangerous.
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 06:57 AM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I agree with you, J, although water is probably in the lethal injections also, and that doesn't indicate that it's dangerous.

Is Potassium Dangerous? | LIVESTRONG.COM

Why Your Sodium-Potassium Ratio Is So Important
Darn. I'm probably one of the people with too much salt and not enough potassium. I get plenty of salt but don't eat the potassium rich veggies and fruits mentioned in the second article.