Join Early Retirement Today

Scrubbing your hands clean: how long do you scrub?
Old 03-02-2009, 06:29 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Scrubbing your hands clean: how long do you scrub?

I have no idea where to find this answer, so someone on this board from the medical field will know: How long a time is it for a Dr., for example, to wash his hands to really clean them before surgery? I was told to sing "Happy Birthday" to each hand is about the right amount of scrubbing. Right? Wrong?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-02-2009, 06:39 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Here's a quote from a paper that seems to quantify it the best:

Kramer A, Hübner N, Below H, Heidecke CD, Assadian O.
Improving adherence to surgical hand preparation.
J Hosp Infect. 2008 Oct;70 Suppl 1:35-43.

"1) The immediate efficacy of an alcohol-based hand disinfectant is impaired by a preceding hand wash for up to 10 minutes. Therefore hands should not be routinely washed before the disinfection period unless there is a good reason for it such as visible soiling. 2) A shortened application time (1.5 minutes) is equal to 3 min in terms of efficacy. 3) Hands should be air dried before gloves are put on, otherwise the perforation rate of gloves will increase. 4) The efficacy of alcohol-based disinfectants is significantly higher when hands are allowed to dry for 1 minute after the washing phase and before the disinfection phase."

Old 03-02-2009, 06:45 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

I use about 2-3 minutes plus an alcohol wipe-down of the stethoscope. You sort of develop this finger-by-finger technique. Periodically I use the alcohol-based disinfectant lotion. Surgeons often use disposable brushes, etc.

I'm curious why you asked.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 06:57 PM   #4

Because, finally, I am making it a habit of washing my hands first thing when I hit the house after being at the gym (cause of many colds, flu, conjunctavitis, etc.), grocery stores, restaurants, WalMart, etc. etc. Trying not to get the colds, flu and other cooties out there anymore. This is my new health care plan, anyway, and it's working so far as I haven't had a bad cold in awhile. And, yes, no touching the eyes and nose, too, while the hands are dirty.

2-3 minutes of washing seems like alot. How do you know when the time is up? Is there some ditty you sing to yourself or do you count numbers or what?
Old 03-02-2009, 07:01 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Good plan!
I tend to watch a clock with a second hand (easy at work). At airport washroomss, etc I just guess how long I've been washing. I always carry a minicontainer of Purell when travelling.
Old 03-02-2009, 07:26 PM   #6

I put a bottle of Purell in my cup container in the car, too. I'm serious as a heart attack about not getting a cold or the flu anymore (as you can see).
My mother always washed her hands when she first came home, and she never ever has a cold or the flu. And she's 90 now, too.
Soap is cheaper than meds.
Old 03-02-2009, 07:45 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

The Flu.jpg

Wash Hands.jpg
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 08:22 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orchidflower View Post
Because, finally, I am making it a habit of washing my hands first thing when I hit the house after being at the gym (cause of many colds, flu, conjunctavitis, etc.), grocery stores, restaurants, WalMart, etc. etc. what?
Seems to me if you touch your eyelids, mouth etc before getting home and washing hands, you already got whatever bugs float around in those places.
Old 03-02-2009, 08:25 PM   #9

I heard somewhere 'the length of time it takes to sing Yankee Doodle all the way through.
Old 03-02-2009, 08:40 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orchidflower View Post
2-3 minutes of washing seems like alot. How do you know when the time is up? Is there some ditty you sing to yourself or do you count numbers or what?
I recomend three verses of The Battle Hymn of the Confederate States: (Sing to a stately martial beat)

We will bury all the Yankees in the Mississippi Mud
And the South shall reign supreme!

Glory,glory, hallelujah!
Glory,glory, hallelujah!
Glory,glory, hallelujah!
And the South shall reign supreme!

This should give you about 2 1/2 minutes, and entertain whoever is in the bathroom with you also.

Feel free to substitute the Battle Hymn of the Republic. But then you would have to remember more verses.

Ha
Old 03-02-2009, 08:51 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

LOL!

I just wash my hands often. I also keep pumps of Purell at my desk and travel with Purell or wipes in my pocket. I try not to touch my eyes, too. Also get flu shots every year.

I once asked several airline attendants how they stay healthy exposed to so many people in close confines all day. They said, drink lots of water and take multivitamins. Now, I do those, too. Is it scientific? Dunno. I have had one (very mild) cold in 5 years.

Ed
And I don't care how big your truck is."
Ed_The_Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 09:21 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
This sounds good to me. Mississippi Mud is my favorite beer.
Old 03-02-2009, 10:49 PM   #13

Soap, hot water, one round of Happy Birthday for two hands. Change the name of the birthday person each time to keep the concept fresh and interesting .

Now the fluff:
* Centrum Cardio multi vitamin
* Two Land Shark per day
* Wine twice per week
* Hypnotic sleep tape nightly

No colds for as long as I can remember...Probably 10 years at least, but can't be sure..that regimen kills the memory
Old 03-02-2009, 11:08 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPatrick View Post
Soap, hot water, one round of Happy Birthday for two hands. Change the name of the birthday person each time to keep the concept fresh and interesting .

Now the fluff:
* Centrum Cardio multi vitamin
* Two Land Shark per day
* Wine twice per week
* Hypnotic sleep tape nightly

No colds for as long as I can remember...Probably 10 years at least, but can't be sure..that regimen kills the memory
What is a Land Shark?
Old 03-03-2009, 06:30 AM   #15

Okay, I confess: I've been singing the Happy Birthday song to each hand when I wash (as in: Happy Birthday, dear right hand). Naturally, I do this silently or I'd sound nuts in a public bathroom.
But I'll try that Mississippi Mud song, HaHa. That should be good for a few laughs here in the VERY city that was THE Northern Outpost for the Civil War AND has a huge Civil War cemetery filled with Southern Rebels in it....well, the people here would chuckle alot more about it than the Southerners I know down South, anyway.
In fact, I didn't even know it was THE Northern Outpost for the Civil War--and I grew up here--until I read "Gone With the Wind" at 17! That's how little Yankees still think of the Civil War...unlike my Southern relatives who are STILL fighting it. Yup, they sure are, too...can't quite get over that they lost yet, I guess. Talk about sore losers....
Old 03-03-2009, 06:56 AM   #16
Administrator

When I was a kid, mothers would tell their children to wash up for supper. It was customary to wash one's hands before eating. What ever happened to that? It seems like a good thing to do, but I don't think I've seen anybody actually doing that for the past fifty years.

My mother always said to wash for 2 minutes, but then my mother wasn't always there when I was washing my hands....

After the anthrax scare, hand sanitizer became very popular in my (federal) office. It was available in the bathrooms and even left by the mailboxes so that we could sanitize our hands after touching our mail. That eased some minds, but I always wondered if it would be of any help at all if we really encountered anthrax powder, and a cupful of it fell out of a package all over someone.

I think that as a retiree, I will probably get fewer colds because I will be exposed to fewer people when gardening or reading at home than I would be at work. Sounds plausible! I guess I will find out later on this year.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 08:28 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
What is a Land Shark?
Similar to, but one step above Corona--IMO

Land Shark Lager : Margaritaville - Online State Of Mind
Old 03-03-2009, 09:09 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Similar to, but one step above Corona--IMO
IMO, a poor excuse for beer, and two steps lower than Corona. I think Jimmy is like Bob Dylan--trying to figure out how bad he can make stuff before people stop buying it.
And I don't care how big your truck is."
Ed_The_Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 09:14 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_The_Gypsy View Post
IMO, a poor excuse for beer, and two steps lower than Corona.
Lower than Corona? Double yuck. I'll take a Negro Modelo or a Pacifico. Dos Equis will do in a pinch.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 09:40 AM   #20
Full time employment: Posting here.

Anybody ever try this stuff?

La tavola e il letto non hanno restrizioni.