Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Seborrheic Dermatitis on Scalp!
Old 07-03-2018, 01:02 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Seborrheic Dermatitis on Scalp!

I have noticed that as I get older I seem to be suffering from this more and more. I have tried most of the Anti-Dandruff Shampoos and none seem to work, I have one more to try "Nizoral". They come in patches and can be quite painful as the natural instinct is to scratch them, leaving red patches. The scales are quite large (1/4") and a patch can be as large as ~3/4".

I figured, that I cannot be the only one with these as one gets older, and with all the "Doctors" here on ER willing to offer advice on just about everything, I thought I may as well offer it up for discussion.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-03-2018, 01:46 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Babies get seborrhea at about 3weeks of age to 3 months and pediatricians are often asked for advice about this. It can occur at any age though. It responds to anti-inflammatories (OTC hydrocortisone-use 1%). Sometimes it also responds to the same treatment as is used for tinea versicolor. Ketoconazole or selenium sulfide (found in dandruff shampoos). The trick with dandruff shampoo is to leave it on for awhile. If it is in limited areas, one can apply the shampoo like a lotion, leave it on for a few minutes, then shower it away.

Nizoral is ketoconazole. Maybe adding 1% hydrocortisone will help. It’s ok to apply both at once. I recommend ointment for broken skin. It doesn’t sting. Apply 2-3x/day. If that doesn’t work, consider the shampoo.
EastWest Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 01:51 PM   #3

I have a mild touch of it in and around my nose and ears.

Best ointment I have found is the 1% stuff from Target (their in house brand. Name escapes me).

If I remember to apply it every day, it keeps it under control. Miss a few days though and it flares up.

Ain't life grand.
Old 07-03-2018, 01:54 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShokWaveRider View Post
I have noticed that as I get older I seem to be suffering from this more and more.
Us old people dry out and get flaky...
Old 07-03-2018, 02:26 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

I tried Scalpacin That has OTC hydrocortisone-use 1%. Other than it stings like hell, it does not seem to do anything. I also tried Mometasone Furoate 0.1% on the non hairy parts that get scaly and that seems to work a little.

It is the ones in the hair that are most difficult to treat.
Old 07-03-2018, 02:36 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShokWaveRider View Post
I also tried Mometasone Furoate 0.1% on the non hairy parts that get scaly and that seems to work a little.
Be careful to use that sparingly.
I had a prescription for it a couple of years ago and my doc spent several minutes cautioning me about using the tiniest amount possible and stopping when I saw improvement.

The reason, he said, was that it's a fairly potent steroid, and it has the effect of thinning your skin where applied, which can lead to new problems.
Old 07-03-2018, 02:42 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm happy to see this topic. I have a terrible problem. It seems I have tried everything. I have tried hydrocortisone but I think the scale is so thick it doesn't reach the skin. What will dissolve the buildup, safely?
Old 07-03-2018, 06:51 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koogie View Post
Best ointment I have found is the 1% stuff from Target (their in house brand. Name escapes me).
The brand is called Up&Up from Target (there is a green arrow on the tube).
"Maximum Strength hydrocortisone 1% ointment"

It's the only thing I've tried that works. Tried other OTC ointments from all the major makers.
Old 07-04-2018, 10:20 PM   #9
Full time employment: Posting here.

Nizoral shampoo works for me. In the uk they sell the 2% version which you are supposed to use only one every three days. In the us they sell the 1% version otc which can be used every other day. I use it as a face wash if the patches spread. Leave it in the hair for five minutes and wash out. I alternate Nizoral with T/gel. Everyone’s skin is different so you may need to experiment a bit to get the right mix for you
Dd852 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 06:01 AM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

I used to get dandruff all the time, and get a little of the flaky stuff still around my mustache, nose and forehead. I made two changes at once when I recently changed my haircut and since then have not seen any dandruff on my scalp. 1) stopped using hair 'gel', this has alcohol in it so it dries out on your hair, it also dries out your skin. I now use a water soluble pomade and a cream. I also never used conditioner which often also has alcohol in it. 2) I now only shampoo my hair once or twice at most a week. I shower regularly but just rinse my hair most days. I think those two combined have solved it for me. I still use dandruff shampoo, the heavy duty head and shoulders, and when I shower the first thing I do is put the shampoo in, then leave it there while I do the rest of the shower stuff, then the last thing I do is wash it out, gives it more time to do it's work. I also started using cetaphil which is a more gentle cleanser on my face and that has helped with the flaky stuff there, but it still shows up some.
mrWinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 08:02 AM   #11
Full time employment: Posting here.

OK, I've dealt with this all my life. Many years ago a dr prescribed Ketoconazole orally, and I was amazed that it cured it (temporarily). So my version was being caused by a yeast or fungus that responded to Ketoconazole. I used Nizoral for many years. Then I found that my yeast/fungus infection also responds to vinegar, which makes sense. I feel a bit more comfortable with long term use of vinegar vs Ketoconazole. Simply rinse with it a few times a week. This is anecdotal, but might be worth trying.
tfudtuckerpucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 08:49 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

I Actually think mine may be a kind of Psoriasis. The scales are quite thick in places.