Join Early Retirement Today

self-massage
Old 04-05-2009, 12:07 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

self-massage

Original Backnobber II - Massage Tools

What did you think I was talking about?

Really, I just posted this b/c I've had one of these things for some time, but I didn't really need to use it until lately. This thing has really helped me deal with some muscular neck and shoulder blade pain over the last few days. Aaaahhhh...relief!

P.S. No, I do not sell nor endorse these things for all conditions - YMMV.

(49, married; DH 53. I am fully retired as of 2015 (well ok, I still work part-time but only because I love the job and have complete freedom to call off if I want to travel with hubby for work), DH hopes to fully retire 2018 when he turns 55 to access 401K penalty-free...although he may decide to do part-time consulting)
simple girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-05-2009, 12:27 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Oh you naughty PT.

Check out the gadgets on that web site. "Jacknobber," indeed.

Old 04-05-2009, 12:33 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
Oh you naughty PT.

(49, married; DH 53. I am fully retired as of 2015 (well ok, I still work part-time but only because I love the job and have complete freedom to call off if I want to travel with hubby for work), DH hopes to fully retire 2018 when he turns 55 to access 401K penalty-free...although he may decide to do part-time consulting)
Old 04-05-2009, 12:58 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Who says, "I can't get no satisfaction"......?

Do I call it Mr. Nobber, or Jack?
Old 04-05-2009, 01:05 PM   #5

Hey whats goin on in here?
Old 04-05-2009, 03:19 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Oh, just being silly, NML. Go back to sleep!

Now that I've got the innuendo out of my system...Simplegirl, thanks for posting this site. I suffer from shoulder and neck pain, caused by working at a computer all day. Although I make myself take breaks, sit up straight at the workstation, use a footrest, etc., I still get aches and pains.

I was advised to buy a hard rubber raquetball and press it into the "trigger points" (places where muscles attach to bones and get the most stress, thus, hurt the most) until they "switch off" and stop hurting. The Knobble II looks like it is designed to do the same thing, better, and it is very reasonably priced. Plus, I notice that it comes in Amethyst Purple, so I am almost obliged to buy one.
Old 04-05-2009, 03:30 PM   #7
Full time employment: Posting here.

"When used as intended..." :snicker:
Old 04-05-2009, 03:37 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Oh you naughty PT.

You may be too young to have encountered this, but when I was a boy girls played "jacks" with a little rubber ball and a bunch of metal things that look like miniature versions of the JackKnobber.

Ha
Old 04-05-2009, 03:44 PM   #9

Quote:

Now that I've got the innuendo out of my system...Simplegirl, thanks for posting this site. I suffer from shoulder and neck pain, caused by working at a computer all day. Although I make myself take breaks, sit up straight at the workstation, use a footrest, etc., I still get aches and pains.

I was advised to buy a hard rubber raquetball and press it into the "trigger points" (places where muscles attach to bones and get the most stress, thus, hurt the most) until they "switch off" and stop hurting. The Knobble II looks like it is designed to do the same thing, better, and it is very reasonably priced. Plus, I notice that it comes in Amethyst Purple, so I am almost obliged to buy one.
Yes, I've used a tennis/raquet ball, too, but you are right - this little contraption is much more efficient at getting to the tough spots - like under the edge of the shoulder blade and also the top of the shoulder, which you just can't get with a tennis ball. If you've sufferred from neck/shld pain, you know what I'm talking about! Also, you can use it while sitting and surfing the net, whereas you have to lie down on the floor or go up against the wall with the tennis/raquetball technique.

The other reason I like this particular style is the fact that it has a little button you can push, and it breaks into two pieces. Makes it much easier to travel with, if needed.

And yes, the purple color is very cool!

Old 04-05-2009, 03:55 PM   #10

Quote:

Hey now Im paying attention! I got a sore spot in my left side around the rib area from doing push ups. Im just browsing looking for some good advice
Old 04-05-2009, 04:02 PM   #11

One word of caution...don't leave these things laying out in the open when you host a wild party....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg oh my.JPG (224.5 KB, 4 views)

Old 04-05-2009, 04:42 PM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

I've been reading this forum for three years and one thing I've learned is that if a subject has the teeny teeny tiniest hint of innuendo, you can count on it quickly spinning into total depravity. It's why I've stayed; I need the laughs!
Old 04-05-2009, 05:12 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by simple girl View Post
One word of caution...don't leave these things laying out in the open when you host a wild party....
Old 04-05-2009, 05:16 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Looks like he's trying for "in you endo."
Old 04-05-2009, 05:36 PM   #15

An artificial wedgie. Never confuse for a genuine with own shorts.
Old 04-05-2009, 05:50 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Looks like he's trying for "in you endo."
ROFLMAO!

Old 04-06-2009, 10:29 PM   #17

I have a similar massage cane but made by another manufacturer. It works great for massaging the neck (which is hard to do yourself).

What I got last Xmas, to me, is awsome (not for the neck but my shoulders and back). It is Homedics Therapist Select SP-10H Shiatsu Pillow.
Amazon.com: Homedics Therapist Select SP-10H Shiatsu Pillow, Beige: Health & Personal Care
There are two round rotating thingies that move as if a massage therapist is doing deep tissue massage on your back/shoulders. It has greatly reduced my trips to massage therapists.
Old 04-06-2009, 10:33 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notmuchlonger View Post
Hey whats goin on in here?
What's going on is that you're being replaced.
Old 04-07-2009, 08:23 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
... I suffer from shoulder and neck pain, caused by working at a computer all day. Although I make myself take breaks, sit up straight at the workstation, use a footrest, etc., I still get aches and pains.
I hear you loud and clear - former desk jockey also.
The muscle knots that developed in the scapular region (near shoulder blades) of my back were deep and extremely painful. It took over a year of FIRE for them to go away completely.
The posterior stretch shown here was recommended by my PT. It really worked for the scapular region, when done several times per day.
Shoulder and Chest Stretches - Simple Stretches for Your Golf Warmup
or #8 here
http://ergonomics.about.com/od/treat...tretches_8.htm

Neck stretches are very important. See here #7 here
Best Stretches for Office Workers

A swimming type stretch did me a lot of good also. Go slowly and do the "crawl" stroke in the air, reaching forward as far as is comfy. Neck position is whatever doesn't hurt, nice and relaxed.
My chiropractor was able to use deep heat and deep tissue massage to help me overcome the constant pain while still w*rking.
Old 04-07-2009, 08:31 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by simple girl View Post
One word came to mind with that photo...GIDDYAP <slaps thigh>