Join Early Retirement Today

Sepsis
Old 03-14-2019, 06:58 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Sepsis

Whoopie Goldberg recently revealed she nearly died from pneumonia and sepsis. I battled an infection and sepsis just a month before her. Whoopie and I are both 63. I spent 4 days in the ICU in January and was closer to death than I've ever been.

I’m glad to hear she’s recovering and telling her story. In the United States, 270,000 people die of sepsis each year – more than from prostate cancer, breast cancer and AIDS combined. Despite its prevalence, less than 1% of Americans can correctly identify the most common symptoms of sepsis. I'm thankful she's sharing her story to increase sepsis awareness.

https://www.sepsis.org/sepsis-in-the...xOan0rGyz7JEpI
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-14-2019, 08:35 PM   #2
Give me a forum ...

Wow - so glad you made it through! I hope you have completely recovered. Thanks for sharing.
Old 03-14-2019, 08:48 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Sepsis is terribad. About two years ago DM, now 80, didn't respond quickly to abdominal symptoms and ended up with a ruptured colon. In the hospital she developed sepsis and the family was advised to prepare for the worst. She pulled through but it was close.

Scary stuff.

"All models are wrong, some are useful." - George Box
There is always a well-known solution to every human problem: neat, plausible, and wrong.” - H.L. Mencken
USGrant1962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 12:53 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purron View Post
Whoopie Goldberg recently revealed she nearly died from pneumonia and sepsis. I battled an infection and sepsis just a month before her. Whoopie and I are both 63. I spent 4 days in the ICU in January and was closer to death than I've ever been.

I’m glad to hear she’s recovering and telling her story. In the United States, 270,000 people die of sepsis each year – more than from prostate cancer, breast cancer and AIDS combined. Despite its prevalence, less than 1% of Americans can correctly identify the most common symptoms of sepsis. I'm thankful she's sharing her story to increase sepsis awareness.

https://www.sepsis.org/sepsis-in-the...xOan0rGyz7JEpI
Nice to see you again.

I'm very sorry to hear that you went through such a traumatic health ordeal, but relieved to know that you pulled through. Here's to a healthy year ahead for you.
Old 03-15-2019, 04:32 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

I had Sepsis after a prostate biopsy.

Biopsy was negative but I almost didn't live long enough to find out.

Scariest few days of my life. Each time a doctor came into my hospital room I was expecting them to tell me there was nothing they could do. Was on horse-pill antibiotics for another month afterwards. Now I'm a complete germaphobe.
Old 03-15-2019, 07:12 AM   #6

I had sepsis in 09/18. I had emergency surgery and was in the hospital for 3 days. I called my doctor and told him that I had decided not to take the antibiotics that he had prescribed for me, due to possible side effects. He told me that I did not realize how very sick I was and he would admit me back into the hospital for 2 weeks, if I did not take them. Needless to say, I took them.
Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 07:28 AM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Glad you all recovered! My cousin (a nurse) thinks our grandmother died of sepsis - osh so long ago, though that was not on her death certificate (I forget what was, maybe pneumonia).
Crewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 08:57 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
I had Sepsis after a prostate biopsy.
Ten years ago my brother had sepsis after his prostate biopsy also. He was in the hospital for 7 days.

His biopsy was positive and ended up with a radical prostate surgery but he said the recovery from the surgery was easier than the week he spent battling sepsis.
Corporateburnout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 09:04 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Purron, I'd noticed you haven't been posting much at lately and thought maybe you had stepped away from posting here. I don't remember seeing anything from you for a long time.

I'm sorry you had such a rough time, how are you feeling now?
ivinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 09:21 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Oh goodness, I am so glad to hear you are well again. That must have been terrifying. I’ve known of a few people who died from it, and patients can go downhill really fast.
Welcome back!

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 09:25 AM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

Oct. 8th 2018 : Hospitalized for 6 days with Sepsis. Faded out on Day 2 and heard the Nurse calling "STAT !" over her radio as I coded and lost consciousness. I got half-way to the Other Side ( Near Death Experience ).

A "Presence", during my ride into the Darkness, asked me if I "wanted to stay" and I accepted the offer. Along with provisions and conditions from that Presence.

Spent another 2 weeks at home administering my own IV Antibiotics with Nurse supervision every other day.

I am a different Person now.

So far...In spite of the initial pain, it has undoubtedly been one of the best things I have ever experienced and/or had happen to me.

Do not fear Death. It is Gentle and Welcoming.

I never did before.

I certainly do not now.

EarlyBirdly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 09:28 AM   #12

My DM died of Sepsis. I posted this thread.
http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...nds-92510.html

Ralph Waldo Emerson
Rianne is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 09:28 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

As an RN, hearing the diagnosis of sepsis is a heart stopper. Sometimes, no matter how much antibiotics you give, the body just can't fight the bugs off and patients go downhill so quickly.
To all of you who have suffered and recovered, continued well wishes to you. Very frightening thing to go through. Glad you are all here and doing well.
Old 03-15-2019, 10:02 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Is sepsis blood poisoning?
Old 03-15-2019, 11:05 AM   #15

The life-saving protocol you won't get

If you or someone you know is having surgery, knowing this could save a life: Hydrocortisone, Vitamin C, and Thiamine IV is much more effective than the "standard protocol" for sepsis.

I've been criticized on this board for being overly skeptical, but there are some facts that you may wish to consider: hospitals and pharma companies make a lot of money with the standard protocol. Nobody makes much money with the alternative protocol. You may think those facts could have something to do with the reason that the uptake of the new protocol has been slow. Or maybe not. Maybe it's simply the way medicine operates. After all, from 1845 to 1885, doctors ignored Semmelweis' hand washing advice, instead walking from autopsies to perform child birth, killing untold thousands of babies.

This study was far from perfect, but indicates that "The Merik Protocol", as it is sometimes called, had 4 of 47 sepsis patients die, whereas the standard protocol had 19 of 47 patients die. The 4 that died in the Merik group didn't die of sepsis, but rather the condition that landed them in the hospital in the first place.

Do what you want, but if I or anyone I know is going into the hospital, I'd ask if there is any chance of sepsis (of course, the answer will be "yes"). The next question is "Do I have a say in the protocol for treating sepsis?" If the answer is "no", I'd not go in (given the choice). If it's me that gets sepsis, I'd have prepped my healthcare advocate to scream from the highest tower that I wanted the Merik protocol.
sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 12:30 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by EarlyBirdly View Post
Oct. 8th 2018 : Hospitalized for 6 days with Sepsis. Faded out on Day 2 and heard the Nurse calling "STAT !" over her radio as I coded and lost consciousness. I got half-way to the Other Side ( Near Death Experience ).

A "Presence", during my ride into the Darkness, asked me if I "wanted to stay" and I accepted the offer. Along with provisions and conditions from that Presence.

Spent another 2 weeks at home administering my own IV Antibiotics with Nurse supervision every other day.

I am a different Person now.

So far...In spite of the initial pain, it has undoubtedly been one of the best things I have ever experienced and/or had happen to me.

Do not fear Death. It is Gentle and Welcoming.

I never did before.

I certainly do not now.

Are you able or willing to share the conditions surrounding your return ?
Ok if you're not able to but sincerely interested
Old 03-15-2019, 01:16 PM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

The Conditions were mostly related to the fact that I have been given so much in this Life and that, even while aware of that fact, I had not taken care of many things as well as I should have.

The Provisions were that when I went back, if I truly tried, I would be given the
strength to do so.

In other words, if I were to return, I would be provided with the path and the strength to correct some conditions I had created.

I Have...and, I AM.

One Example -

> Oct. 8th = 275 lbs.

> March 15th = 220 lbs.

EarlyBirdly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 01:48 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by EarlyBirdly View Post
The Conditions were mostly related to the fact that I have been given so much in this Life and that, even while aware of that fact, I had not taken care of many things as well as I should have.

The Provisions were that when I went back, if I truly tried, I would be given the
strength to do so.

In other words, if I were to return, I would be provided with the path and the strength to correct some conditions I had created.

I Have...and, I AM.

One Example -

> Oct. 8th = 275 lbs.

> March 15th = 220 lbs.

Thank you. God Bless
Sepsis
Old 03-15-2019, 03:20 PM   #19

Sepsis

Member of a club I’d just as soon not have joined.

Sepsis (Gram Negative Rods to be specific) after emergency gallbladder surgery. Luckily the antibiotics squashed the infection quickly. Though I had the pleasure of a six day stay in the hospital. Ugh.
LARS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 05:51 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Is sepsis blood poisoning?

It can be. The definition is really an extreme immune/inflammatory response by the body to an infection which causes organ damage and may cause low BP - septic shock and death. When the bacteria is in the blood it is called septicemia but the bacteria could be in the lungs or urinary tract most commonly but also from other sources. Some healthcare providers use the terms sepsis and septicemia interchangeably.
6miths is offline   Reply With Quote