Join Early Retirement Today

Sheesh. . .C-diff!!
Old 01-29-2013, 07:30 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Sheesh. . .C-diff!!

After several weeks of suffering from what I thought was the "stomach flu," I was just diagnosed with C-diff. I'm a normally very healthy and fit 56 yr. old who had the misfortune of being placed on antibiotics after a dental surgery last December. Evidently it depleted all the "good" bacteria in my gut and along comes the C-diff toxins and move right in. I started taking Flagyl three days ago and am feeling all the lousy side-effects it is known for. Am also taking probiotics.

Until 4 days ago I was blissfully ignorant of C-diff. Now I am scaring myself by reading all the websites/forums devoted to it and how hard it is to rid the body of it. If anyone has experience with this terrible stuff, I'd appreciate hearing from you. Please send healing thoughts and prayers my way.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-29-2013, 08:00 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marita40 View Post
After several weeks of suffering from what I thought was the "stomach flu," I was just diagnosed with C-diff. I'm a normally very healthy and fit 56 yr. old who had the misfortune of being placed on antibiotics after a dental surgery last December. Evidently it depleted all the "good" bacteria in my gut and along comes the C-diff toxins and move right in. I started taking Flagyl three days ago and am feeling all the lousy side-effects it is known for. Am also taking probiotics.

Until 4 days ago I was blissfully ignorant of C-diff. Now I am scaring myself by reading all the websites/forums devoted to it and how hard it is to rid the body of it. If anyone has experience with this terrible stuff, I'd appreciate hearing from you. Please send healing thoughts and prayers my way.
Been there, done that, and have the empty Flagyl prescription bottles to prove it.

I developed mine from taking antibiotics for a sinus infection. Two weeks of Flagyl seemed to do the job but three days after the prescription ran out, I was back where I started. My doc then put me on Flagyl again for six (6) weeks and explained the difficulty of treating c.diff and the possibility of dire consequences if treatments failed.

The six week regimen worked. Hope you have equally good results.

I now worry about the possibility of another antibiotic causing a repeat bout with c.diff. A scary thought.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 08:15 AM   #3

Thanks rewahoo for your response! It is good to know that the flagyl worked for you, but also a very depressing thought that I may need a second round of it. It gives me a constant feeling of nausea (slight, but always there), dizziness, and terrible taste in my mouth.
Old 01-29-2013, 08:26 AM   #4

Hopefully the side-effects of the med will lessen over time, but I'd trade them any day for the opportunity to rid my system of c.diff!

Old 01-29-2013, 09:35 AM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Marita, sorry to hear you have this nasty bug. If the Flagyl and probiotics don't work, ask your doctor about the other option:

Fecal transplants cure most cases of C. difficile - Health - CBC News
Old 01-30-2013, 02:44 PM   #6
Full time employment: Posting here.

How about letting us know specifically which antibiotics caused this? Thanks.
Old 01-30-2013, 03:04 PM   #7

Tyro, many types of antibiotics can be the culprit. From the MayoClnic website:
Quote:
The antibiotics that most often lead to C. difficile infections include fluoroquinolones, cephalosporins, clindamycin and penicillins.
C. difficile - MayoClinic.com

Old 01-30-2013, 03:09 PM   #8

ok... as an old school c programmer here I thought this thread was going to be about the tool output from a file compare tool called c-diff.
Old 01-30-2013, 03:11 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
I thought this thread was going to be about the tool output...
Close. Add the letter s and you've got it...

Old 01-30-2013, 03:14 PM   #10

That has me chuckling. (But it's not me producing the "output")
Old 01-30-2013, 04:16 PM   #11

Yes, "output" is the problem

The antibiotic that did me in was Clindamycin. Terrible. And the dentist didn't say a word about taking probiotics with it.

On the 4th day of flagyl and soldiering through it. Remaining hopeful.
Old 01-30-2013, 04:21 PM   #12

Hope you are feeling better real soon. This one sounds like a difficult thing to get rid of.
Old 01-30-2013, 04:36 PM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

It never happened to me but I know of folks that can no longer tolerate milk products after going through an antibiotic treatment. It makes me think twice before taking any antibiotics.
Old 01-30-2013, 04:54 PM   #14
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

This is nothing to fool with - it did in my late MIL. I hope you will consider the fecal transplant therapy mentioned above.
Old 01-30-2013, 05:28 PM   #15

Take care, Marita. I hope you recover soon.
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 09:51 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
Marita, sorry to hear you have this nasty bug. If the Flagyl and probiotics don't work, ask your doctor about the other option:

Fecal transplants cure most cases of C. difficile - Health - CBC News
Please forgive me, but perhaps we need to revise the old phrase to
"Eat sh&t & LIVE"
Old 02-01-2013, 12:58 PM   #17
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Tyro, many types of antibiotics can be the culprit. From the MayoClnic website:
C. difficile - MayoClinic.com
Thanks. I was curious about the specific ones because many are also the cause of peripheral neuropathy. From MedLink:

Chloramphenicol
Chloroquine
Clioquinol
Dapsone
Ethambutol
Fluoroquinolones
Griseofulvin
Isoniazid
Linezolid
Mefloquine
Metronidazole
Nitrofurantoin
Podophyllin resin
Suramin

There seem to be some commonalities.

Tyro
Old 02-05-2013, 08:48 PM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

Well Marita, we can suffer through this together. I was just diagnosed with this today. This really blows. Hope you are feeling better.
And whatever your labors and aspirations in the noisy confusion of life, keep peace in your soul. With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be cheerful. Strive to be happy.- Desiderata by Max Ehrmann
MissMolly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 04:43 AM   #19

MissMolly, so sorry. It is a terrible thing. Please keep us updated if you want. A week off flagyl--which made me equally as sick as the infection--I relapsed and am now on a second round. Have been dealing with this now since Jan 4 and have had pretty much no life during this whole time.
Old 02-15-2013, 07:02 AM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marita40 View Post
MissMolly, so sorry. It is a terrible thing. Please keep us updated if you want. A week off flagyl--which made me equally as sick as the infection--I relapsed and am now on a second round. Have been dealing with this now since Jan 4 and have had pretty much no life during this whole time.
Marita - I am on my second week of Flagyl and feeling much better. I am fortunate that I have not had the bad effects from the Flagyl that so many others, like you, have reported. I go back to the doc next week and am keeping my fingers crosssed that all is well now. However, I've read that many people appear to be cured and after a couple days off the Flagyl, it all comes roaring back. I am so sorry you are having to deal with this again. This is a horrible bug. I hope you are feeling better soon.

And whatever your labors and aspirations in the noisy confusion of life, keep peace in your soul. With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be cheerful. Strive to be happy.- Desiderata by Max Ehrmann
MissMolly is online now   Reply With Quote