Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-14-2010, 11:47 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Dr. said to get the vaccine as soon as this passes. I’m 56, so the “wait ‘til 60” rule isn’t hard and fast. I browsed a bit and there doesn’t seem to be a reason not to, it may be just a general population cost / benefit analysis.
That's what I wonder about. I'm worried that one of us may encounter this before we reach the FDA "legal" age for the vaccine.

Audrey

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-14-2010, 11:57 AM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Rich can weigh in here but when I got my vacinnation I believe if you had a history of severe chicken pox, it was doubly important that you got the Shingles vacine regardless of age. Wife and I had to pay for ours and got it from the local pharmarcy-cost about $200 a couple years ago.
Nwsteve

Old 09-14-2010, 12:51 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Here is the older thread where this was discussed:
Just got my zoster vaccine

Seems like Rich was saying that there has not been a lot (any?) clinical testing below the age of 60. If I absorbed it correctly, there doesn't seem to be any problem with getting it early (though you may pay out-of-pocket), we just don't have data on it. And I guess we don't know how long it is effective, but maybe a booster shot later will be needed. We will probably have more data by that time.

I nagged my Mother enough that she finally got the shot. My MIL went through an episode - you want to avoid it if possible. I'm thinking of getting it before 60.

-ERD50
Old 09-14-2010, 12:56 PM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwsteve View Post
Rich can weigh in here
This should answer most of the questions above.

Getting it before age 60 is not advised due to lack of data on safety and efficacy. Shingles is more common over age 60, and when it does occur, post-herpetic neuralgia is most common in those over age 60. So, it is not a mortal sin to get the shot earlier but it is not standard practice.

While you're at it, with all this vaccine frenzy, why not get yourself updated on tetanus-diphtheria-acellular pertussis (combined in 1 shot). The latter is particularly common we have learned, causing prolonged intense cough and occasionally worse (adult whooping cough).

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 12:58 PM   #25

Rich what is the thought on the need for a tetanus booster? Reason I ask is last time in Australia I asked about getting my 10 year booster they said not to bother. I know my last tetanus shot was in 1998.

Re the chicken pox, my mother swears I never had them, even though my 3 siblings did. When I was going to have the vaccine 10 yrs ago they tested first to see if I had previously had the chicken pox and the test said I had. Must say the stories of the effects of Shingles makes me want to have the vaccine now even though I am only 48.

I be a girl, he's a boy. Think I maybe FIRED since July 08. Mid 40s, no kidlets. Actually am totally clueless as to what is going on with DH.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 01:08 PM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerMouse View Post
Rich what is the thought on the need for a tetanus booster? Reason I ask is last time in Australia I asked about getting my 10 year booster they said not to bother. I know my last tetanus shot was in 1998.

Re the chicken pox, my mother swears I never had them, even though my 3 siblings did. When I was going to have the vaccine 10 yrs ago they tested first to see if I had previously had the chicken pox and the test said I had. Must say the stories of the effects of Shingles makes me want to have the vaccine now even though I am only 48.
AFAIK, tetanus is still every 10 years thru age 70. If nothing else you avoid having to go to the emergency room for otherwise routine puncture wounds since they only occur on weekends, holidays, and in remote places.

I have seen just one case of tetanus in my 35+ year career. It was hideous.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Old 09-14-2010, 02:15 PM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
At the conclusion of the studies, researchers found that overall (in persons age 60 years and older) the vaccine reduced the occurrence of herpes zoster (shingles) by about 50%. The vaccine effect was highest at 64% in people between the ages 60-69, but its effectiveness declined with increasing age; to 41% for the 70-79 age group, and 18% for those 80 years of age and older.
Thanks, Rich, that's an interesting study. I was under the impression that the vaccine was a magic bullet but these statistics wouldn't exactly have me pounding on the door of our local clinic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerMouse View Post
Geez, I don't think I've ever gone longer than three years without hearing "Well, we won't have to stitch that up, but better get a tetanus booster just in case"...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 02:31 PM   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Thanks, Rich, that's an interesting study. I was under the impression that the vaccine was a magic bullet but these statistics wouldn't exactly have me pounding on the door of our local clinic...
True, but those numbers are pretty good in the world of general screening and prevention - especially when the risk is lowo.

It is likely but not proven that in people who get shingles despite getting the shot, the symptoms may be briefer and milder.

Old 09-14-2010, 02:57 PM   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_in_Tampa View Post
This should answer most of the questions above.

Getting it before age 60 is not advised due to lack of data on safety and efficacy. Shingles is more common over age 60, and when it does occur, post-herpetic neuralgia is most common in those over age 60. So, it is not a mortal sin to get the shot earlier but it is not standard practice.

While you're at it, with all this vaccine frenzy, why not get yourself updated on tetanus-diphtheria-acellular pertussis (combined in 1 shot). The latter is particularly common we have learned, causing prolonged intense cough and occasionally worse (adult whooping cough).
I have been getting TD booster every 10 years. Asked for Pertussis booster last time and was told there was none. Next booster 2013 will be TD & P (whatever the nomenclature)
Old 09-14-2010, 02:59 PM   #30
Moderator Emeritus

And while we're at it:
Any medical opinions on Hep A & B for a 60 y o?
Old 09-14-2010, 03:32 PM   #31
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
And while we're at it:
Any medical opinions on Hep A & B for a 60 y o?
Hep A is for travel to high risk settings and other special considerations.

Pneumonia is still recommended for older adults but its overall efficacy is controversial.

Influenza is annual for just about all adults, but certainly those who are older, other risks, etc.

Hep B is for adults with body fluid exposures or other risks, but may beroutine in kids. Paging Meadbh?

Old 09-14-2010, 03:54 PM   #32
Full time employment: Posting here.

I had shingles in May. I got the doctor within 24 hours of the rash appearing. The drugs stopped it short, but still it was in my jaw and chewing was very painful. it could have been much worse. I also had on my temple, but the doctor apparently wasn't concerned about my optic nerves. I talked with folks that had it much worse. Thankfully I did not. Hope your case is mild.

flyfishnevada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 03:56 PM   #33
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Hep A is for travel to high risk settings and other special considerations.

Pneumonia is still recommended for older adults but its overall efficacy is controversial.

Influenza is annual for just about all adults, but certainly those who are older, other risks, etc.

Hep B is for adults with body fluid exposures or other risks, but may be routine in kids. Paging Meadbh?
I do get flu shots every year (2 this past season).

Pneumonia shot is age 65? Will probably get.
Old 09-14-2010, 04:24 PM   #34
Recycles dryer sheets

Had shingles and believe it was stress related. Hope it's not this market doing it to you. ;-D Get well.
Old 09-14-2010, 05:19 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Hep B is for adults with body fluid exposures or other risks, but may beroutine in kids. Paging Meadbh?
You paged?
Actually, yes.
Hepatitis B Vaccine - Canadian Immunization Guide - Seventh Edition - 2006 - Public Health Agency of Canada
Old 09-14-2010, 06:31 PM   #36

Quote:
AFAIK, tetanus is still every 10 years thru age 70. If nothing else you avoid having to go to the emergency room for otherwise routine puncture wounds since they only occur on weekends, holidays, and in remote places.

I have seen just one case of tetanus in my 35+ year career. It was hideous.
I too was under the impression that it was 10 yrs. However I recently had the good fortune of being pinched by a crab at the beach. When I got home
hours later, the doctor wanted me to come in that day for a booster even though it had been < 10 yrs since the last one (7 yrs). I've since found at least several articles on the internet suggesting the same. This quote is from ehow.com:

The Mayo Clinic recommends that you obtain a booster if you have a deep wound and haven't had the shot in the past five years or if you're not sure if you've been vaccinated against tetanus.

Read more: How Often Do You Need a Tetanus Shot? | eHow.com How Often Do You Need a Tetanus Shot? | eHow.com
Old 09-14-2010, 06:44 PM   #37
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaneohe View Post
I too was under the impression that it was 10 yrs. However I recently had the good fortune of being pinched by a crab at the beach. When I got home
hours later, the doctor wanted me to come in that day for a booster even though it had been < 10 yrs since the last one (7 yrs). I've since found at least several articles on the internet suggesting the same. This quote is from ehow.com:

The Mayo Clinic recommends that you obtain a booster if you have a deep wound and haven't had the shot in the past five years or if you're not sure if you've been vaccinated against tetanus.

Read more: How Often Do You Need a Tetanus Shot? | eHow.com How Often Do You Need a Tetanus Shot? | eHow.com
Right. We were referring to prevention for the 10 year interval bit you are quite for wound prophylaxis.

Old 09-14-2010, 06:49 PM   #38
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Right. We were referring to prevention for the 10 year interval bit you are quite for wound prophylaxis.
When the cat bite gave me 'blood poisoning' they gave me a tetanus shot along with an antibiotic IV.
Old 09-14-2010, 07:18 PM   #39
Give me a forum ...

I am sensitive to Acyclovir and had the bad luck to have Shingles on Christmas Eve. There is an alternate anti-viral but I just about had to pound on a pharmacy door to fill the perscription.

Husband was in the shingles vaccine study, he got the placebo. We learned that when he got shingles (any sign of any thing that might be shingles required that he present his body ASAP). They treated him and gave him the vaccine after the illness had run it's course. As soon as it was available to the public I got it too.

Michael, I really hope your case has no long term consequences.
Old 09-14-2010, 10:27 PM   #40
Full time employment: Posting here.

Interesting. About a month ago I had two what looked like bug/mosquito/spider bites next to each other on my rib cage. They were extremely itchy and eventually formed what looked like a white head. I dabbed them with hydrogen peroxide and covered them with bandages. They eventually went away but two small scars remain. Now I'm rethinking the "bug bites." Maybe shingles?