Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-15-2010, 12:21 AM   #41
Moderator Emeritus

One thing I could count on from the submarine force was regular checks for tuberculosis and vaccinations for Hep A/B, typhoid, & tetanus. ("Oh, you're going back to sea duty?!? Well, never mind what I just said, here's some things you need to take care of.") But I wish the corpsmen could've done more about rotavirus & pneumonia.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountaintosea View Post
Interesting. About a month ago I had two what looked like bug/mosquito/spider bites next to each other on my rib cage. They were extremely itchy and eventually formed what looked like a white head. I dabbed them with hydrogen peroxide and covered them with bandages. They eventually went away but two small scars remain. Now I'm rethinking the "bug bites." Maybe shingles?
We're going to have to refer you to the bedbug thread...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-15-2010, 08:45 AM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
When the cat bite gave me 'blood poisoning' they gave me a tetanus shot along with an antibiotic IV.
Why did you bite the cat?

Thread is a good reminder to get a t-shot and a TDP booster. And a flu shot. And a shigles vaccination.

Glad I own some drug company stocks!

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 08:49 AM   #43
Full time employment: Posting here.

Are there any side effects to the shingles vaccination? When I was in my twenties, I took a german measles vaccination (as one of my colleagues had german measles) and was told 1 out of 10 people will get a mild form of german measles and guess what, I was that one person who had it. That was how low my resistence level was.
Old 09-15-2010, 10:47 AM   #44
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moscyn View Post
Are there any side effects to the shingles vaccination?
The link I posted above addresses this. Here it is again.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 10:55 AM   #45
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Swam with an older man in his 90's whose back was all scar tissue from having shingles. Take care of it pronto like you are doing, MichaelB. Don't want anything to happen to you now..
Old 09-15-2010, 12:22 PM   #46
Give me a forum ...

Was in the docs office yesterday and mentioned the shingles vaccine...

He said... get the vaccine if you want.. there is no reason to wait until 50 as people younger than 50 get shingles...

My sister got them when she was 55... also in her eye... she said she would pay the money for the vaccine... was not out when she got it...

SOOO, I got a prescription if I want to get to some place that has it....
Old 09-15-2010, 06:30 PM   #47

I long ago sent mail to all my older friends (55+) about this. My mom had shingles (mild) about age 56, she is now 64.

At my urging, she asked on one of her regular doctor's appointment last year about the vaccine and the doc gave it to her right there(!), and it was fully covered by her Kaiser insurance. But she was the one who had to bring the subject up.

Michael, hope you get better soon!
Old 09-15-2010, 07:35 PM   #48
Give me a forum ...

Just to day I saw a sign outside a drug store that read "Shingle vaccine shots here". Now I see plenty of flu shot ads, but that is the first time I have ever seen one of those. Didn't get one, going to wait until I'm 60.
Old 09-15-2010, 07:59 PM   #49

I used to know someone who used to get shingles off and on over the years... is that normal? He wasn't immune depressed or anything like that...
Old 09-15-2010, 08:10 PM   #50
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_in_Tampa View Post
The link I posted above addresses this. Here it is again.

Thanks. Sorry, I missed it the first time.
Old 09-15-2010, 09:13 PM   #51

One thing to check for before you get the shingles shot, you have to know that in the past you had chicken pox. I didn't know, couldn't remember, so my doctor made me get a blood test. It showed that I had had chicken pox so he gave me the shingles shot. Shingles (as I understand it) is the chicken pox virus lying dormant in your body and something triggers that virus into activity. If you never had chicken pox as a child, you would be doing more harm than good by getting the shot. Maybe Rich in Tampa can shed some more light on the subject. It's important to know as much as possible about shingles prior to getting the shot.
Old 09-16-2010, 09:02 AM   #52
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNNIE36 View Post
One thing to check for before you get the shingles shot, you have to know that in the past you had chicken pox. I didn't know, couldn't remember, so my doctor made me get a blood test. It showed that I had had chicken pox so he gave me the shingles shot. Shingles (as I understand it) is the chicken pox virus lying dormant in your body and something triggers that virus into activity. If you never had chicken pox as a child, you would be doing more harm than good by getting the shot. Maybe Rich in Tampa can shed some more light on the subject. It's important to know as much as possible about shingles prior to getting the shot.
Had the mumps and chicken pox in rapid succession in the second grade. Still have a small scar/bump on my tummy to show for it.

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 11:05 AM   #53
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNNIE36 View Post
With no disrespect to your doctor, CDC and other recommendations clearly state that blood testing for prior chicken pox in people born before 1980 is unnecessary and not helpful in determining who should get zoster vaccine. Almost everyone that age has had chicken pox and there is no surplus harm to those rare cases who did not have chicken pox but get the vaccine (except unnecessary cost).

Perhaps your doc had other reasons to recoommend testing?

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Old 09-16-2010, 11:11 AM   #54
Give me a forum ...

When I was small mothers used to take their kids to visit other kids with chickenpox as well as many other infections, I can't remember why-perhaps so all the kids in the family would be sick at once and Mom could then put it behind her.

Parent's were much tougher about dealing with "childhood diseases" back then.

Ha
Old 09-16-2010, 12:38 PM   #55
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
When I was small mothers used to take their kids to visit other kids with chickenpox as well as many other infections, I can't remember why-perhaps so all the kids in the family would be sick at once and Mom could then put it behind her.

Parent's were much tougher about dealing with "childhood diseases" back then.
It was good to listen to Mother. Chicken soup pox is generally very mild in young children. Expose them early, take the consequences of a mild disease as a trade-off against much more severe disease if acquired in the older teen years or beyond. Sometimes it would backfire, but basically this is a rudimentary vaccination policy.

Mother really does know best!
Old 09-16-2010, 03:45 PM   #56
Give me a forum ...

Mother really does know best!

I had chickenpox during my final year in medical school. All day I attended classes and lectures and in the afternoon I a bit itchy, but didn't notice anything else. At the time I lived at home with my parents. I walked in the door and Mom said: "You've got chickenpox!" All those profs and med students totally missed it!

I spent the next week at home pampering myself with calamine lotion. It really wasn't bad. I got a lot of studying done.....
Old 09-16-2010, 05:41 PM   #57
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
I had chickenpox during my final year in medical school. All day I attended classes and lectures and in the afternoon I a bit itchy, but didn't notice anything else. At the time I lived at home with my parents. I walked in the door and Mom said: "You've got chickenpox!" All those profs and med students totally missed it!

I spent the next week at home pampering myself with calamine lotion. It really wasn't bad. I got a lot of studying done.....
Doesn't it sometimes cause a nasty pneumonia in adults?

Ha
Old 09-16-2010, 05:48 PM   #58
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post

Same thing happened to me except with shingles . I had several physicians & nurses look at my arm and the all said bug bite . That night when more bug bites showed up and my arm felt like I had placed it in the gas grill I knew what was up . The scary part was it went into my chest and it really felt like a heart attack .
Old 09-16-2010, 10:31 PM   #59
Recycles dryer sheets

Now after reading here I am wondering if I had shingles. About three years ago I noticed a red place on the side of my face close to my ear. The next day it got bigger and spread all inside my ear. There was pain and I decided I needed to make a trip to the doctor. He really did not know what it was. He put me on antibiotics for two weeks. I thought I may have been bitten by a spider but still not sure. I still have scars in my ear and a small one on my face. It took about two months to heal. Shingles?? well I am 63 and off to get the shot as quick as I can. oldtrig
Old 09-17-2010, 08:36 AM   #60
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrig View Post
Now after reading here I am wondering if I had shingles. About three years ago I noticed a red place on the side of my face close to my ear. The next day it got bigger and spread all inside my ear. There was pain and I decided I needed to make a trip to the doctor.

The pain of shingles is like this Pain !