Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-08-2013, 08:50 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
I had planned on getting one at 60, but may go ahead talk to the doc about it on my next visit. Not far from 60 anyway.
What was the reasoning behind the "Age 60" decision?

RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-08-2013, 09:35 AM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBoyd View Post
Age 60 is the medical protocol for administering the vaccine.

-- Rita

Old 02-08-2013, 10:13 AM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotadimple View Post
I am just askin... you can fight it out with Post #11
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 10:23 AM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotadimple View Post

-- Rita
I just about got into a fist fight with a pharmacist that did want to give me the vaccine at the tender age of 59 years, 9 months.
Old 02-08-2013, 10:46 AM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Thanks for this thread, I hope wife of the OP is doing better.

So this motivated me to make a note to contact my ins and doctor before my next appointment. I know the doc said I would need to call in advance, IIRC the vaccine needs refrigeration and/or has short shelf life, so they don't stock it.

I managed to talk my Mom into getting the shot. My MIL had it (shingles - not the shot) and it was very painful for almost a year (and she has high tolerance for pain - no Novocaine at the dentist!).

My son got it last year - mid 20's. Fortunately, since he is in pharmacy school, he was well aware of the issues, and got treated quickly (treatment has to occur within something like 72 hours of first symptoms to be effective?). So his case was fairly mild, but still significant pain for a month or so.

So while it is associated with older age, the association isn't all that strong. I'd have to look it up, but I think elders are only at 2x to 4x the risk factor, something like that - it's not like a night and day difference.

So I plan to get it at 58, I'm a baby when it comes to long duration pain like that. I'm a rip-the-band-aid-off-and-get-it-over-with kind of guy.

-ERD50
Old 02-08-2013, 11:17 AM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

My wife is doing better today. She still has the shock type pain that keeps coming but it is not as bad as it was. The rash is not spreading out any more and the blisters look like they are not as "bumpy." She had a fever over 100 this week but today it is down to normal.
Old 02-08-2013, 02:38 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Even though I had shingles in my 50s, I still got the immunization at 60 because my doc recommended it to reduce the severity of any recurrence.

For those around that age, there is also a pneumonia immunization that is recommended for geezers folks the same age, which I would also recommend, Might as well get them both together and save a trip.

If you haven't had shingles, you probably don't have any idea just how painful it can be, so any protection is well worth your time and money.
Old 02-08-2013, 02:49 PM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

At 65 I decided to go for the "holy trinity": flu, pneumonia and shingles shots. All that is left to get is the shingles and I should be set for a while. I've never had shingles, but I've seen what it can do and it is not pretty!!!!
Prof12
Old 02-08-2013, 09:40 PM   #29
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBoyd View Post
This was the original CDC recommendation. It was maybe around 6 years ago that they recommended that the entire population 60 years and over get the vaccine with a few listed exceptions. They felt there was finally enough medical data on the vaccine to justify this. As you get older, not only does the disease become more frequent, but *more* importantly, it becomes more severe (on average) and thus more important to prevent.

After that, several important studies came in showing the efficacy of the vaccine in large populations and among younger people. So a couple of years ago or so the CDC recommended the vaccine for all those over 50, with a few exceptions. However, this has not gone totally into effect yet, solely because there has been a shortage of the vaccine and they didn't want the 60 and ups deprived by all the 50s folks getting the vaccine who need it less than those 60 and over. When the shortage is gone, it will be 50+. This is all from memory, the latest may have changed slightly.