Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-02-2016, 11:31 AM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Just back, and blurry eyed, from a very good and comprehensive visit with the eye doctor/surgeon.......have a follow up scheduled for this Thursday......seems the retina is unscathed, but there is a very small scratch on the cornea which he feels will very likely heal itself.

Gel drops and a soon to be picked up prescription for a cream to (hopefully) prevent the shingles on the eyelid from encroaching on the eye itself.

Extremely happy with the service/treatment.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-02-2016, 11:41 AM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo2 View Post
Told DW that I'm beginning to feel like one of those cars that's run 'forever' simply with standard maintenance......then, suddenly, the muffler falls off, the shocks pack it in, and the springs collapse.............sheesh.
I keep telling my friends that my "best before date" passed 2 years ago!
Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
That's exactly how I felt in 2015. My knee problems and my cataracts both progressed rapidly during my move in the summer of 2015. I had cataract surgery in October 2015, but wanted at least a year between surgeries just for my own peace of mind. Now I'm seeing an orthopedic surgeon for possible knee surgery. I am just hoping nothing else comes up before I can get that done with.
Yes, lower leg problems for 2 years, HBP. Orthonecrosis. Damaged right retina by my opthamologist. COPD. I feel like all hell has broken loose. Plus son with testicular cancer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post
I think 60 is the magic age, doc told me I was eligible and it was free so I got it.
I would say 70 is the magic year then watch out!
Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
Better than "Cracklin' Rosie"...
I like to think of of it as Crackling Rosee. Gotta love those good Rosee wines...

Old 10-02-2016, 11:46 AM   #43

The younger you are, the less severe the shingles is, on average. This is why the vaccine is more important when you are older and why it is recommended primarily for older people.

I got it at age 47 or 48, it was pretty minor (back area around kidney). It is commonly believed that the acicolovir (and the other similar meds listed) is helpful only if you start taking it in the first 72 hours after onset. My case was mild enough that I am pretty sure I didn't meet this threshold. After self-diagnosis I had aciclovir in my body within the hour, bought at the local pharmacy, but once I knew I had shingles I realized that the symptoms had started more than 72 hours earlier. I only experienced mild pain and only during vigorous exercise.

At age 51 I still have not gotten the vaccine. There is a new vaccine in trials that is almost 100% effective. I am waiting to see what happens with that. If I were 5 years older, I would go ahead and get the current Zostavax vaccine now.
Old 10-02-2016, 03:35 PM   #44

My DH got it at 55. It was on his face and spread to his eye. His vision is fine but his nose has scars. He was told that the vaccine would not do him any good since he has had it. I looked into it but if you are allergic to neomycin they tell you not to get it.
Old 10-02-2016, 03:48 PM   #45
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo2 View Post
Just back, and blurry eyed, from a very good and comprehensive visit with the eye doctor/surgeon.......have a follow up scheduled for this Thursday......seems the retina is unscathed, but there is a very small scratch on the cornea which he feels will very likely heal itself.

Gel drops and a soon to be picked up prescription for a cream to (hopefully) prevent the shingles on the eyelid from encroaching on the eye itself.

Extremely happy with the service/treatment.
That's good news, Nemo2. It's also good to know that our healthcare system can respond in a timely manner when it counts. Your tax dollars at work!
Old 10-02-2016, 04:08 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
That's good news, Nemo2. It's also good to know that our healthcare system can respond in a timely manner when it counts. Your tax dollars at work!
As I've noted before, I have never once faulted the personnel, all of whom have done a sterling job.....and I'm also very impressed with pharmacists, who without exception have asked what any particular prescription is intended for, (today, for example, the eye doctor prescribed Ciloxan 0,3% to be applied to my eyelid in an attempt to stop further encroachment, and the pharmacist, (a lady from India in this particular instance), wanted to make sure that I knew why I was getting it*)

(* Even if this is primarily a CYA practice on their behalf I appreciate the thoroughness.)

Old 10-02-2016, 04:22 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
His vision is fine but his nose has scars.
Oh, Oh...this could mean the end of my lifetime, (and thus far completely unfulfilled), dream of having a modeling career.

Old 10-03-2016, 06:36 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcowan View Post
I would say 70 is the magic year then watch out!
Not 70 yet, but based on progressing thru my 60s, I think you are right.
Old 10-03-2016, 11:03 AM   #49
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcowan View Post
I would say 70 is the magic year then watch out! ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
Not 70 yet, but based on progressing thru my 60s, I think you are right.
There is no magic age for shingles. Risk increases with age, but there isn't some sharp knee. Here's some data.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4636742/

Quote:
The overall annual incidence rates (IR) of HZ across all ages was 4.47 per 1000 person-years (95 % confidence interval [CI]: 4.444.50) which monotonically increased with age from 0.86 (95 % CI: 0.840.88) for those aged ≤19 to 12.78 (95 % CI: 12.4913.07) for patients ≥80 years. The IR was 8.46 (95 % CI: 8.398.52) among adults ≥50 years and 10.46 (95 % CI: 10.3510.56) among those aged ≥60 years.
To break that down, annually -

0.86 for those aged ≤19
4.47 per 1000 person overall
8.46 among adults ≥50 years
10.46 among those aged ≥60 years
12.78 for patients ≥80 years

A link there gives more detail:

Quote:
Age ------ IR per 1000

<50 ----------- 2.40
 5059 ------- 6.33
 6064 ------- 8.01
 6569 ------- 9.84
 7079 ------ 11.57
 80+ -------- 12.00
combined: ---- 4.12
So 50's is ~ 2.6x more likely than those under 50.
In your 60's ~ 3.3x ~ 4.1x ( they broke that down into 5 year groups) more likely than those under 50.
In your 70's ~ 4.8x more likely than those under 50.

It certainly increases with age, but it's not like it would be rare for those under 50 to get it compared to someone in their 60's 70's.

-ERD50
Old 10-03-2016, 02:01 PM   #50
Full time employment: Posting here.

The CDC no longer recommends waiting for 6-12 months after a shingles outbreak to vaccinate. Their latest recommendation is to wait only until the rash has cleared.
Old 10-03-2016, 03:47 PM   #51

Well you folks have given me a talking point with my PCP. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 10-03-2016, 04:06 PM   #52
Recycles dryer sheets

My mom got shingles in February 2015 when she was 85. She'd been planning to get the vaccine, but put if off too long. The rash spread from the middle of her back around to under her breast. The attack included flu-like symptoms that left her with a dangerously low sodium level. She ended up in the hospital for a week while the doctor carefully brought the level up again. She's still suffering from nerve pain.

I'm getting the vaccine soon as I hit 60.
Old 10-03-2016, 04:13 PM   #53

DW called our doctor this morning...they're faxing a prescription for her to the pharmacy....as soon as the pharmacy calls to say it's in she'll pick it up and go to the docs, (no appointment required), to have it administered.

Upon our return from our next trip it'll be 'rinse & repeat' for me.

Thanks everyone for the input.

Old 10-03-2016, 04:41 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by O2Bfree View Post
My mom got shingles in February 2015 when she was 85. She'd been planning to get the vaccine, but put if off too long. The rash spread from the middle of her back around to under her breast. The attack included flu-like symptoms that left her with a dangerously low sodium level. She ended up in the hospital for a week while the doctor carefully brought the level up again. She's still suffering from nerve pain.

So at 85 even if she got a vaccine at 60 or 65 it would not be as effective, I'm reading that for the vaccines out right now the window of good effectiveness is about 10 years. I'm planning on a booster in my early 70's.
Old 10-03-2016, 04:45 PM   #55

When I was 50 my Dr wanted to give me the Shingle vaccine but insurance co said they don't pay for it until 55 so when I turned 55 I got it plus the pneumonia vaccine.
Old 10-03-2016, 04:47 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
There is no magic age for shingles. Risk increases with age, but there isn't some sharp knee. Here's some data.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4636742/

To break that down, annually -

0.86 for those aged ≤19
4.47 per 1000 person overall
8.46 among adults ≥50 years
10.46 among those aged ≥60 years
12.78 for patients ≥80 years

A link there gives more detail:

So 50's is ~ 2.6x more likely than those under 50.
In your 60's ~ 3.3x ~ 4.1x ( they broke that down into 5 year groups) more likely than those under 50.
In your 70's ~ 4.8x more likely than those under 50.

It certainly increases with age, but it's not like it would be rare for those under 50 to get it compared to someone in their 60's 70's.

-ERD50
My comment was not shingles specific, but more responding to what kcowan was implying that our bodies start to break down with various ailments at 70.
Old 10-03-2016, 04:52 PM   #57
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Why wait? -ERD50
Old 10-03-2016, 05:08 PM   #58
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivinsfan View Post
So at 85 even if she got a vaccine at 60 or 65 it would not be as effective, I'm reading that for the vaccines out right now the window of good effectiveness is about 10 years. I'm planning on a booster in my early 70's.
But it has only been FDA approved for 10 years, so that would likely be the earliest she would have got it (I guess unless she was in a study group?).

from wiki:
Quote:
The zoster vaccine was approved and licensed by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) in May 2006.[3][4][5]
Boosters may be required, but it looks like CDC has no specific recommendations right now?

-ERD50
Old 10-03-2016, 05:21 PM   #59
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
Why wait? -ERD50
I don't want to pay for it.
Old 10-03-2016, 05:29 PM   #60
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I don't want to pay for it.
I get it. But everyone I know who has had it, would pay multiples of that price to have avoided it, or even just to have had a milder case.

-ERD50