Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-03-2016, 05:35 PM   #61
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by O2Bfree View Post
My mom got shingles in February 2015 when she was 85. She'd been planning to get the vaccine, but put if off too long. The rash spread from the middle of her back around to under her breast. The attack included flu-like symptoms that left her with a dangerously low sodium level. She ended up in the hospital for a week while the doctor carefully brought the level up again. She's still suffering from nerve pain.

I'm getting the vaccine soon as I hit 60.

Why wait... I got mine when I was 55.... maybe a year or so sooner, cannot remember exact year...

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-03-2016, 05:36 PM   #62
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
Why wait? -ERD50

Man... I need to read the responses before I post...

But... I will not!!

Oh.... and I did pay for it out of pocket... one of my sisters had it and said she would have paid thousands not to have had it...

Old 10-03-2016, 05:46 PM   #63
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by O2Bfree View Post
I don't want to pay for it.
I didn't pay for it at 55. I expected to, but Costco called my insurance company and they covered it.
Old 10-03-2016, 05:55 PM   #64
Full time employment: Posting here.

Very painful and leaves scars. If it would have been worse in husband's eye he could have lost his vision so I think it is worth paying for.
Old 10-03-2016, 06:10 PM   #65
Give me a forum ...

The probability of getting shingles if you don't get the vaccine is not 100%, and the probability of not getting shingles if you do get the vaccine is not zero. This is decision making under uncertainty. I actually took a course on this while doing my MBA. It depends on how you assign weight to the outcomes.

I asked my doctor for the shingles vaccine, and he said it was recommended for people 60 and over where I live. So I will wait till then. I have definitely had chickenpox. I had it at age 22, while in medical school, and my Mom was the one who made the diagnosis. Dr. Mom!

Shingles | Immunize BC
Old 10-03-2016, 07:00 PM   #66
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
I get it. But everyone I know who has had it, would pay multiples of that price to have avoided it, or even just to have had a milder case.

-ERD50
+1

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 07:21 PM   #67
Recycles dryer sheets

Just last month our county health department ran a 2-day event and administered the vaccine free of charge. I'm 58 and took advantage of the event.
Old 10-03-2016, 07:29 PM   #68
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
The probability of getting shingles if you don't get the vaccine is not 100%, and the probability of not getting shingles if you do get the vaccine is not zero. This is decision making under uncertainty. I actually took a course on this while doing my MBA. It depends on how you assign weight to the outcomes.

I asked my doctor for the shingles vaccine, and he said it was recommended for people 60 and over where I live. So I will wait till then. I have definitely had chickenpox. I had it at age 22, while in medical school, and my Mom was the one who made the diagnosis. Dr. Mom!

Shingles | Immunize BC

I have only known 2 people that got shingles (assume others have gotten it but did not know).... the first was a guy in his 20s and then my sister in her mid 50s...

I decided not to wait...
Old 10-03-2016, 07:37 PM   #69
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
The probability of getting shingles if you don't get the vaccine is not 100%, and the probability of not getting shingles if you do get the vaccine is not zero. This is decision making under uncertainty. I actually took a course on this while doing my MBA. It depends on how you assign weight to the outcomes. ...
Yes, different people will look at that uncertainty different ways.

The way I looked at it - if I got a bad case of it, a lot of pain, and especially if it threatened my eyesight, I know I would be just kicking myself for not finding out if I could get the shot (don't assume you can't get it until 60) or for not shelling out the $200 or whatever to pay OOP. $200 will not change my life measurably, weeks/months of pain and threatened eyesight sure would.

I didn't want to risk wishing I had done it 6 months earlier. DW still hasn't got hers, I don't understand.

-ERD50
Old 10-03-2016, 08:21 PM   #70
Give me a forum ...

I didn't get the shot to avoid shingles- I might still get it. I got the shot to avoid a 6 month debilitating outcome from shingles.
Old 10-03-2016, 08:29 PM   #71

Dw and I got the shot 3 years ago after seeing my brother suffer through a bad case of shingles.
Old 10-03-2016, 08:51 PM   #72
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
I get it. But everyone I know who has had it, would pay multiples of that price to have avoided it, or even just to have had a milder case.

-ERD50
Been reading more about getting the shot before age 60.

FDA: Shingles Vaccine OK at Age 50 and Up

"Why get vaccinated at age 50? That's when shingles risk shoots up. Before age 50, about two people in a thousand get shingles. After age 50, about six people in a thousand get shingles. A person's lifetime risk of shingles is about 30%.
The biggest drawback to Zostavax is its cost. The catalog price is about $161.50, about 10 to 20 times the cost of flu vaccine."

That's not very expensive.

But then there are articles such as these:

Shingles vaccine not cost effective before age 60 | Reuters

Shingles vaccine not cost effective before age 60

"For the new study, reported in Annals of Internal Medicine, the researchers used a computer to estimate the effectiveness of the vaccine in people 50 to 59 years.

Overall, they calculated, for every 1,000 people receiving the vaccine at age 50, just 25 shingles cases and one case of shingle-related pain would be prevented.

Typically, preventive treatments are considered cost-effective when they cost at most $100,000 per quality-adjusted life-year (QALY), that is, per year of healthy life gained. The new analysis found the vaccine cost over $300,000 per QALY."

Ask the Experts about Shingles (Zoster) Vaccines - CDC experts answer Q&As

" ACIP declined to vote to expand the recommendations for the use of zoster vaccine to include people age 50 through 59 years for the following reasons: (1) though the burden of HZ disease increases after age 50, disease rates are lower in this age group than they are in persons age 60 years and older; (2) there is insufficient evidence for long term protection provided by the vaccine; and (3) persons vaccinated at younger than age 60 years may not be protected when the incidence of zoster and its complications are highest. However, zoster vaccine is approved by the FDA for persons age 50 through 59 years and clinicians may vaccinate persons in this age group without an ACIP recommendation.
A long-term care resident age 80 years who received zoster vaccine (Zostavax; Merck) several years ago recently had a mild case of shingles. Is there any recommendation for administering a second dose of vaccine in such a circumstance? Are booster doses ever recommended?

The answer to both questions is no. Zoster vaccine is not 100% effective. In the key clinical trial, overall effectiveness among people age 60 years and older was 51% and decreased with increasing age. However, the vaccine was 67% effective in preventing post-herpetic neuralgia; this effectiveness did not decrease with increasing age. The duration of protection from shingles after a dose of zoster vaccine is not known at this time. However, ACIP has not recommended a second dose for anyone. ACIP recommendations for the use of zoster vaccine are available at www.cdc.gov/mmwr/PDF/rr/rr5705.pdf."

I may change my mind and get the shot sooner...or not...
Old 10-04-2016, 07:40 AM   #73
Give me a forum ...

9 years from now I figure they will know whether I should get another in my 60s or 70s.
Old 10-04-2016, 07:54 AM   #74

And just because they tell you have you don't "have" to get a booster doesn't mean you can't just pay for a second round yourself, if you think it's warranted.
Old 10-04-2016, 08:13 AM   #75
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivinsfan View Post
And just because they tell you have you don't "have" to get a booster doesn't mean you can't just pay for a second round yourself, if you think it's warranted.
I figure in 9 or 10 years guidelines on boosters will be much clearer. That's the only way I will know whether one is warranted.
Old 10-04-2016, 08:17 AM   #76

My doc was on the ball; I have an annual physical, where we go over vaccinations and preventive stuff, and as soon as the guidance changed to allow 50 and older to get the shingles shot, I got it. That was about 5 years ago.

As to eye proximity, my aunt got it in her scalp, forehead, and eye. This was back in April. There was a problem with pressure build-up and talk of needing a laser. But after a month of various drops and pills, she didn't need that. She's a trooper when it comes to pain (she's got more stainless joints than the 6 million dollar man), but this one was a tough one, apparently. So a month ago she reported that the virus was attacking her cornea and got Zirgan (ganciclovir) and Valacyclovir. Apparently been on steroid drops 4x a day since onset. Not a pretty picture, but she's probably got 20 years on you. Still can see/read fine, just a little blurry.
Old 10-04-2016, 10:14 AM   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
I figure in 9 or 10 years guidelines on boosters will be much clearer. That's the only way I will know whether one is warranted.
True, I got mine right at 60 but I saw earlier in this thread there is a vaccine in the pipeline with 100% effectiveness if that's around when I turn 70, I'm going to spring for it,except for the cost, I don't see a downside.
Old 10-04-2016, 10:17 AM   #78
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivinsfan View Post
True, I got mine right at 60 but I saw earlier in this thread there is a vaccine in the pipeline with 100% effectiveness if that's around when I turn 70, I'm going to spring for it,except for the cost, I don't see a downside.
Right - by the time I turn 65, I should be able to get good advice from my doctor about what are my best options. That's 9 years away.

And who knows - Medicare may cover even boosters by then?
Old 10-04-2016, 10:23 AM   #79
Recycles dryer sheets

I had it in 2012. It has not recurred. I wish the same for you.
Old 10-04-2016, 05:59 PM   #80
Full time employment: Posting here.

So I posted earlier on this string that I had shingles(the scalp and forehead version dangerously close to the cornea) about 3 years ago and I also posted that my PCP subsequently recommended that I not get the shingles vaccine as having shingles itself was the best innoculation against a future shingles outbreak. What I did not also post was that I also had shingles(on my torso ) back in the mid '80's. The reason that I did not have the shingles shot when it became available was my PCP recommended against it as I had shingles in the 80's and therefore did not need a shot. In fact that conversation occured in 1/13. I had my second case in 2/13. So........ Long story short, I will have the shingles shot despite my PCP's rec. thanks to the OP for starting this string. I love my PCP but he appears to be behind the 8 ball on this issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum