Join Early Retirement Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-04-2016, 07:49 PM   #81
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
audreyh1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Rio Grande Valley
Posts: 14,092
Interesting.

I had never read anything that indicted getting shingles protected you from future outbreaks or lessened them, even though the vaccine would seem to work the same way.
__________________

__________________
Well, I thought I was retired. But it seems that now I'm working as a travel agent instead!
audreyh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-04-2016, 07:51 PM   #82
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 397
Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
I get it. But everyone I know who has had it, would pay multiples of that price to have avoided it, or even just to have had a milder case.

-ERD50
+1, speaking from my own experience
__________________

__________________
euro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 08:01 PM   #83
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Nemo2's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Belleville, ONT
Posts: 3,123
Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Interesting.

I had never read anything that indicted getting shingles protected you from future outbreaks or lessened them, even though the vaccine would seem to work the same way.
I don't know, (I have absolutely zero background in this), but I'd presume that the body would/will generate antibodies (or somesuch) to combat the initial attack, and that the 'formula' for said 'antibodies' would remain in the system to be activated when necessary?
__________________
"Exit, pursued by a bear."

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 08:11 PM   #84
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 397
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo2 View Post
I don't know, (I have absolutely zero background in this), but I'd presume that the body would/will generate antibodies (or somesuch) to combat the initial attack, and that the 'formula' for said 'antibodies' would remain in the system to be activated when necessary?
That's right but in the case of VZV, the resulting protection is less than perfect for a good portion of the population. In those cases, the vaccination has additional benefits.
__________________
euro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 08:15 PM   #85
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 10,109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo2 View Post
I don't know, (I have absolutely zero background in this), but I'd presume that the body would/will generate antibodies (or somesuch) to combat the initial attack, and that the 'formula' for said 'antibodies' would remain in the system to be activated when necessary?
The thing is, first, you get chickenpox. It's the same virus (varicella zoster, or VSV). In some people, the chickenpox virus takes up residence in nerve cells near the spinal cord, and then goes dormant. Meanwhile, your immune system gets busy making antibodies to VSV, which, for the most part, protect you against another outbreak of chickenpox. However, they do not eliminate the dormant virus hiding in your spinal nerve roots. Many years later, when your defenses are down for whatever reason, the dormant VSV wake up and start to party in your nerve cells. Result: shooting pain in the distribution of that nerve, which is very typical for shingles. The map of the nerve distribution is called a dermatome. The distribution of the shingles rash is almost always confined to one dermatome, although it is occasionally bilateral.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dermatome_(anatomy)

My point is that shingles does not represent a new infection with VSV. It's a reactivation of an old infection. Your antibodies can't prevent the infection because the viruses were already there.
__________________
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 08:23 PM   #86
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Nemo2's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Belleville, ONT
Posts: 3,123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
My point is that shingles does not represent a new infection with HSV. It's a reactivation of an old infection. Your antibodies can't prevent the infection because the viruses were already there.
It's my intention to get the vaccine, even if it only provides minimal extra protection, I don't want to experience this again.....if I can help it.
__________________
"Exit, pursued by a bear."

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 09:49 PM   #87
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 12,053
Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Interesting.

I had never read anything that indicted getting shingles protected you from future outbreaks or lessened them, even though the vaccine would seem to work the same way.

I would have thought so myself.... most of the illnesses like those you get once and done... your body now has the anti-bodies to fight it off....


But, I guess that is wrong thinking... so I will have to get booster shots in the future...



Edit... well, Nemo beat me to this answer...
__________________
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 09:59 PM   #88
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,126
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
The thing is, first, you get chickenpox. It's the same virus (herpes zoster, or HSV). In some people, the chickenpox virus takes up residence in nerve cells near the spinal cord, and then goes dormant. Meanwhile, your immune system gets busy making antibodies to HSV, which, for the most part, protect you against another outbreak of chickenpox. However, they do not eliminate the dormant virus hiding in your spinal nerve roots. Many years later, when your defenses are down for whatever reason, the dormant HSV wake up and start to party in your nerve cells. Result: shooting pain in the distribution of that nerve, which is very typical for shingles. The map of the nerve distribution is called a dermatome. The distribution of the shingles rash is almost always confined to one dermatome, although it is occasionally bilateral.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dermatome_(anatomy)

My point is that shingles does not represent a new infection with HSV. It's a reactivation of an old infection. Your antibodies can't prevent the infection because the viruses were already there.
Actually chicken pox and shingles are caused by varicella zoster virus (VZV) which is a virus that is in same family as HSV-1 and HSV-2, the viruses that cause herpes. Occasionally VZV is referred to as human herpes virus 3 (HHV-3). As Meadbh describes, they all behave in a similar way in that they take up residence in sensory nerve cells and lie dormant. They can then re-emerge in some as herpetic lesions which are blisters that are preceded by burning, pain, itching or tingling sensation. Shingles can also be followed by pain or burning sensation in the nerve distribution for a period after the outbreak is over. Outbreaks (recurrences) of both herpes and shingles are often occur following stressors or in otherwise immunosuppressed individuals. Epstein-Barr virus (EBV) which causes infectious mononucleosis is also in the herpes virus family.

While it is true that an outbreak of shingles would boost antibody levels, the fact that the person actually had the outbreak would indicate that they are likely more susceptible to a future recurrence than someone who has never had shingles. DW and I got the vaccine a few years ago at 52 and 57. If I were to have had shingles, I definitely would get the vaccine afterwards and would likely also get a booster every 10 years or so.
__________________
6miths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 10:17 PM   #89
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 10,109
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6miths View Post
Actually chicken pox and shingles are caused by varicella zoster virus (VZV) which is a virus that is in same family as HSV-1 and HSV-2, the viruses that cause herpes. Occasionally VZV is referred to as human herpes virus 3 (HHV-3).
Oops, I goofed! Apologies for my error in nomenclature and thanks for correcting me. I have edited my post accordingly.

__________________
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 12:05 PM   #90
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Nemo2's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Belleville, ONT
Posts: 3,123
DW had her shot today, Dr.'s office said I should wait a couple months; (also that current vaccine has an estimated effectiveness of ~ 10 years).
__________________
"Exit, pursued by a bear."

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 05:54 PM   #91
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Chapel Hill
Posts: 96
I had shingles in my early 50s, had not had the vaccine. Had a terrible rash around half of my waist. Terrible pain I THOUGHT I WAS GOING TO DIE!!! Had pain for 2 years, could not drive for months, ran a temperature for months, sick on my stomach, etc, etc. COULD NOT PLAY GOLF FOR TWO YEARS!!!

If you have not had the vaccine, PLEASE GET THE VACCINE!!! I am serious.

I got the vaccine as soon as I was allowed. I still got the shingles again a couple of years ago (in a different place). But it was nearly as bad this time.

I think there is a genetic component to shingles, everyone in my family has had it.

Shingles is a seriously bad disease.

Jo Ann
__________________
golftrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 06:35 PM   #92
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
audreyh1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Rio Grande Valley
Posts: 14,092
Quote:
Originally Posted by golftrek View Post
I had shingles in my early 50s, had not had the vaccine. Had a terrible rash around half of my waist. Terrible pain I THOUGHT I WAS GOING TO DIE!!! Had pain for 2 years, could not drive for months, ran a temperature for months, sick on my stomach, etc, etc. COULD NOT PLAY GOLF FOR TWO YEARS!!!

If you have not had the vaccine, PLEASE GET THE VACCINE!!! I am serious.

I got the vaccine as soon as I was allowed. I still got the shingles again a couple of years ago (in a different place). But it was nearly as bad this time.

I think there is a genetic component to shingles, everyone in my family has had it.

Shingles is a seriously bad disease.

Jo Ann
Was it as bad? Or not nearly as bad?
__________________
Well, I thought I was retired. But it seems that now I'm working as a travel agent instead!
audreyh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 06:57 PM   #93
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Nemo2's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Belleville, ONT
Posts: 3,123
Quote:
Originally Posted by golftrek View Post
. COULD NOT PLAY GOLF FOR TWO YEARS!!!
So, it wasn't all bad then?

Kidding....sounds like an awful experience.
__________________
"Exit, pursued by a bear."

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 07:02 PM   #94
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Chapel Hill
Posts: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Was it as bad? Or not nearly as bad?
Sorry I meant that after the vaccine, the second time I had shingles was not as bad as the first time. In my case, the shingles vaccine did help.

And I really missed not being able to play golf for 2 years because of the shingles pain, it broke my heart. Even today, 10 years later I still have some pain.

Jo Ann
__________________
golftrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 07:51 PM   #95
Recycles dryer sheets
ownyourfuture's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 371
I also had shingles this year. While it was very painful at times, thankfully I got through it fine. But I also got to experience firsthand, what I believe to be part of the national healthcare problem.
In my case, I believe that problem was over prescribing. The treatment I received was fine, & I definitely respect all those that supplied it, but I believe cases like mine are indeed, part of the escalating health care costs in America.

I started feeling bad the last week in April. By Monday, May 2nd, I knew what I had. BTW: I'm in my mid-50s
I called my doctor & set up an appointment for Wednesday, May 4. The doctor confirmed what I had, gave me a prescription for 21 pills, (a one-week supply) of Valacyclovir & set up an appointment for one week later Wednesday, May 11.

By the time of my 2nd appointment on May 11th, I was already feeling 100% better, but he went ahead & renewed the prescription.
Not a 1 week supply of 21 pills, not a 2 week supply of 42, not a 3 week supply of 63, & not a 4 week supple of 84, he prescribed another 90 pills.

Price: $989.89

I had another follow-up appointment on Wednesday, May 18th. Everything was fine, except he wanted an eye specialist to examine my right eye two days later, on Friday May 20th.

After a quick look at my eye on Friday, the first thing the specialist said, was “stop taking the pills immediately”
I was prescribed a total of 111 pills at a cost $11 per pill, or $1,221.00
I used 51 of the pills, & threw away 60, $660.00 worth.

I'm guessing that maybe the pills prescribed, work faster for some, & slower for others ?
In my case they worked faster, & I believe that the doctor should have continued with one week prescriptions instead of prescribing another 90.

I do not like questioning the medical industry, or any doctors nurses etc. working in that field.
But I stand by my conclusion.

Would love to hear your opinion
__________________
ownyourfuture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 08:47 PM   #96
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Midwest
Posts: 1,344
Why did the eye doc want you to stop taking the pills?
__________________
razztazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 10:16 PM   #97
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,126
Why did the original doctor want you to take more pills?
__________________
6miths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 11:41 PM   #98
Full time employment: Posting here.
Ronnieboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 613
Quote:
Originally Posted by ownyourfuture View Post
I also had shingles this year. While it was very painful at times, thankfully I got through it fine. But I also got to experience firsthand, what I believe to be part of the national healthcare problem.
In my case, I believe that problem was over prescribing. The treatment I received was fine, & I definitely respect all those that supplied it, but I believe cases like mine are indeed, part of the escalating health care costs in America.

I started feeling bad the last week in April. By Monday, May 2nd, I knew what I had. BTW: I'm in my mid-50s
I called my doctor & set up an appointment for Wednesday, May 4. The doctor confirmed what I had, gave me a prescription for 21 pills, (a one-week supply) of Valacyclovir & set up an appointment for one week later Wednesday, May 11.

By the time of my 2nd appointment on May 11th, I was already feeling 100% better, but he went ahead & renewed the prescription.
Not a 1 week supply of 21 pills, not a 2 week supply of 42, not a 3 week supply of 63, & not a 4 week supple of 84, he prescribed another 90 pills.

Price: $989.89

I had another follow-up appointment on Wednesday, May 18th. Everything was fine, except he wanted an eye specialist to examine my right eye two days later, on Friday May 20th.

After a quick look at my eye on Friday, the first thing the specialist said, was “stop taking the pills immediately”
I was prescribed a total of 111 pills at a cost $11 per pill, or $1,221.00
I used 51 of the pills, & threw away 60, $660.00 worth.

I'm guessing that maybe the pills prescribed, work faster for some, & slower for others ?
In my case they worked faster, & I believe that the doctor should have continued with one week prescriptions instead of prescribing another 90.

I do not like questioning the medical industry, or any doctors nurses etc. working in that field.
But I stand by my conclusion.

Would love to hear your opinion
There are definite problems with the health care industry, high costs of prescription drugs are just the tip of the iceberg.

Two comments, 1) Always shop around for prescription prices. Just call two or three pharmacies in the area to get the price of the rx, you would be surprised at the price differences. You didn't mention if you got the 1gm or 500mg tablets of Valacyclovir but 90 of the 1gm at Costco is $104, cash price. https://www.costco.com/pharmacy/drug...lphaDrugSearch

Walgreens, CVS, and Rite Aid are about the most expensive places you can purchase your medications. Don't think that just because you have a $10 copay, it doesn't matter if 'I go to the more convenient Walgreen's drive thru', your insurance is getting over charged too. Granted it is not the $989 but it is probably in the $150-$200 range and if they pay more then your premiums go up at next open enrollment.

2) You don't have to get the full amount that the presciber wrote for, if you feel that you are on the mend you could get a weeks worth till you saw the eye doc and then not gotten the rest or picked up the rest if s/he said to keep taking them. Granted it will have probably cost a few bucks more buying 30 once and 60 the second time if you were to continue, but much less that if you didn't pick up the remaining because the doc said to stop.
__________________
I don't want to spend my entire life at work. I deserve more. - Want2retire aka W2R
Ronnieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 10:44 AM   #99
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 1,137
You can also take generic Aciclovir instead of Valacyclovir. You just have to take it more often (like 5x daily instead of 3x) because your body doesn't absorb it as well (otherwise same thing as Valacyclovir as Valacyclovir turns into Aciclovir after absorbtion). Here in the Philippines where I live, Aciclovir is a cheap over the counter medicine, so I was able to buy it and use it within the hour of my shingles self-diagnosis at 11 PM one evening after a quick trip to the drugstore.
__________________
kramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 11:04 AM   #100
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Nemo2's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Belleville, ONT
Posts: 3,123
Quote:
Originally Posted by kramer View Post
Here in the Philippines where I live, Aciclovir is a cheap over the counter medicine.
Not that I'm about to go there, but out of curiosity how well regulated are medications in the Philippines, are there fakes/knockoffs that you have to watch out for?
__________________

__________________
"Exit, pursued by a bear."

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Shingles vaccine Khan Health and Early Retirement 107 12-13-2011 09:46 PM
Shingles MichaelB Health and Early Retirement 61 09-17-2010 05:23 PM
Replace eavestroughs at same time as shingles accountingsucks Other topics 9 01-18-2010 06:27 PM
Shingles Vaccine travelover Health and Early Retirement 34 03-30-2008 11:02 PM
Shingles Vaccine mickeyd Other topics 18 01-18-2008 08:38 PM

 

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:13 AM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.