Join Early Retirement Today

Shingles
Old 10-01-2016, 04:26 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Shingles

As the posters for Jaws2 said: "Just when you thought it was safe to go back in the water..."

For a few days (beyond, as I found out, the 'critical' 72 hour period for treatment) I had a bump on my forehead, (which I mistakenly attributed to forcing a sweatband, which had shrunk in the wash, over my head), the now bumps scabbed over, which I thought was a good thing....but they also began to encroach on other areas of my face.....then I started to feel discomfort in my left eye.

First to a walk in clinic....Shingles!....(I'd never even heard of facial shingles before), received a prescription for Valacyclovir, then down to the hospital.....preliminary eye test......"There's a teeny teeny teeny spot".....but apparently big enough that I have an appointment with an ophthalmologist tomorrow morning....Sunday! (Don't forget this is in Ontario!)

Told DW that I'm beginning to feel like one of those cars that's run 'forever' simply with standard maintenance......then, suddenly, the muffler falls off, the shocks pack it in, and the springs collapse.............sheesh.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-01-2016, 04:28 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Have you been vaccinated for shingles?

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 04:33 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Have you been vaccinated for shingles?
No......is it of any benefit after an attack, i.e. does it (at least partially) prevent future episodes?

Old 10-01-2016, 04:34 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Oh dear. Good luck with your eye.
Old 10-01-2016, 04:39 PM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo2 View Post
No......is it of any benefit after an attack, i.e. does it (at least partially) prevent future episodes?
Yes, shingles can recur and yes, a vaccine will make sense (after this episode is over - it's not going to do any good for the current infection).

BTW, sorry you have this happen, especially in the face/eye area must be extremely unpleasant - I had an episode on my chest/side and it was exquisitely painful for a week or two.
Old 10-01-2016, 04:39 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
Thanks...I'll post updates.

Old 10-01-2016, 04:54 PM   #7
Administrator

Oh no, as if this year hadn't already presented enough health challenges to you. How utterly awful, and I hope you recover without any eye damage.

My brother had shingles and said the experience was very painful. I must admit that I have not asked for the shingles shot, even though I believe it would be free for me on my insurance. I need to get that done.
Quote:
Told DW that I'm beginning to feel like one of those cars that's run 'forever' simply with standard maintenance......then, suddenly, the muffler falls off, the shocks pack it in, and the springs collapse.............sheesh.
That's exactly how I felt in 2015. My knee problems and my cataracts both progressed rapidly during my move in the summer of 2015. I had cataract surgery in October 2015, but wanted at least a year between surgeries just for my own peace of mind. Now I'm seeing an orthopedic surgeon for possible knee surgery. I am just hoping nothing else comes up before I can get that done with.

― N. Gaiman (2002)

W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 04:56 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
+1

I had shingles in the face near the eye. No fun at all. Wishing you a mild case and speedy recovery.
Old 10-01-2016, 05:03 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
I had shingles in the face near the eye. No fun at all. Wishing you a mild case and speedy recovery.
How long ago? Any recurrences? Did you get the shot?

Old 10-01-2016, 05:16 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Sorry for your case of shingles but glad you brought this up. I will get the vaccination next month at my annual physical.
Old 10-01-2016, 05:16 PM   #11

Quote:
How long ago? Any recurrences? Did you get the shot?
Sept of 2010. No recurrences, no damage to the eye. Haven't taken the vaccine yet, mostly because I forgot about it.
Old 10-01-2016, 05:18 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Sept of 2010. No recurrences, no damage to the eye. Haven't taken the vaccine yet, mostly because I forgot about it.
Works for me!

Old 10-01-2016, 05:26 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

I seemed to remember that stress is associated with shingles. One source says:
Quote:
Shingles is most common in older adults and people who have weak immune systems because of stress, injury, certain medicines, or other reasons.
I seem to recall that if one gets the shot right after symptoms occur it can be beneficial. I would check on that. Good luck Nemo!
Old 10-01-2016, 05:26 PM   #14

I think 60 is the magic age, doc told me I was eligible and it was free so I got it.

Only supposed to work for 50%, but hey why not? No complications, didn't even make my arm hurt like a flu shot does.
Old 10-01-2016, 05:31 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post
I think 60 is the magic age, doc told me I was eligible and it was free so I got it.

Only supposed to work for 50%, but hey why not? No complications, didn't even make my arm hurt like a flu shot does.
You can get it at 50 if you want.

I got the shot at 55 - didn't want to take any more chances.
Old 10-01-2016, 05:31 PM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

My young (50 ish) Doc got shingles 3 times! He told me he was gonna go ahead and pay for the shot!! About time, I would say! Geeeesh
Old 10-01-2016, 05:38 PM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

FYI, I have been researching water filters lately and have seen several accounts of drinking alkaline water curing shingles, no personal experience with that however.
Old 10-01-2016, 05:41 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post

While it is more prevalent at 60+, it isn't any big threshold or anything. I forget the specifics, but it might be something like 2x more likely in your 60's as it is much younger. That's not a huge difference, especially when the sample size of one is all you really care about.

My son got it in his late 20's. Luckily, he was in pharmacy school at the time, so people around him were able to tell him what to do. I forget the details again, but there are shots you can get within something like 72 hours that will reduce the effects (I don't think it is the shingles vaccine itself, but some anti-inflammatory or something). Google knows

And while you can still get shingles after being vaccinated, they say that in most cases it will be a far milder case. I got my shingles shot last year, DW has been procrastinating, which is crazy because her Mother had shingles, and was really suffering, and she has a high tolerance for pain (no Novocaine for dental fillings!).

-ERD50
Old 10-01-2016, 05:46 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by homestead View Post
FYI, I have been researching water filters lately and have seen several accounts of drinking alkaline water curing shingles, no personal experience with that however.
Yeah, if you believe testimonials from a company that produces the product. Of course, they also claim it cures everything else, too.

Kangen Alkaline Water MN: Testimonials

I did a quick search on PubMed for scientific studies. Result: nada.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/...aline+water%22
Old 10-01-2016, 05:46 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by homestead View Post
And what happens when alkaline water hits the highly acid stomach acid? Hard to reason it could have any effect at all, it would be neutralized unless it was so alkaline that it burned out all the tissue in your throat on the way down (wanna drink lye anyone?)!

I bet those same sites claim alkaline water cures psoriasis, hep C, all forms of cancer, chronic fatigue syndrome, migraines, etc. That seems pretty typical of those sorts of claims.

edit - oooops, cross posted with Meadbh, who actually has significant credentials in this area!

-ERD50