Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-26-2012, 08:46 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

It's good you caught it early. Hope you recover quickly with a minimum amount of discomfort. Relax and get that rest and take care.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-26-2012, 09:29 PM   #22
Full time employment: Posting here.

My daughter recently had shingles involving scalp, forehead, and her eye. Horrible pain. Special very expensive meds for her eye in addition to anti-viral. She said it felt like a combination of cactus and glass shards sticking in her eye and a needle through her skull. During the second visit to the ophthalmologist I asked if he could prescribe some pain meds so she could get some relief and rest.

Bought an aloe vera plant, peeled strips, sliced it into thin "slabs" that she kept on her forehead. After three days her face looked great - only one scab.

Old 01-27-2012, 12:00 PM   #23

This was a good reminder, I'm heading to my pharmacy over the weekend and getting this shot out of the way.
Old 01-27-2012, 09:59 PM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Our daughter contracted it in her early 20's. She is high-strung and was under a lot of stress, which can trigger it we were told.

Anyone who has not got it yet, take the vaccine! (with your Dr's recommendation, etc. I am not a doctor, but I slept at a Holiday Inn and now think I can walk on water.)
And I don't care how big your truck is."
Ed_The_Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 10:50 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brdofpray View Post
Once my symptoms clear, the shot will help me from having shingles again.
Why will the shot do you any good after you have had the outbreak? The outbreak didn't give you lifetime immunity like having the measles or mumps?
Old 01-27-2012, 10:58 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Get plenty of rest, follow doctors' orders, and above all take good care of your eye. Sounds like the first branch of the trigeminal nerve is involved, so be prepared to see an ophthalmologist if required, and take the antiviral religiously. I hope you are not left with any residual pain.

Good luck!

Shingles | Doctor | Patient UK
Old 01-28-2012, 12:36 AM   #27

I got shingles right before I retired. I wanted out of there so bad and I was so anxious, it was enough to wake up the virus. I got a Tamilfu shot and it knocked it down. Good thing you caught it. I had it on the side of my head too. In some ways its a good place to get it. It stays withing the network of nerves it start in. When you get it on your torso, those networks are extensive. On your head, they are small. Mine got into my jaw and it hurt to chew for a couple of weeks. Got me out of a few meetings, but nothing like when I was exposed to H1N1 the year before. I was practically banished then.

flyfishnevada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 03:39 AM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

So if you have already had shingles, do you need the vaccine?
Old 01-28-2012, 07:54 AM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

I am no doctor, however mine did say you can get shingles twice, or even more times if you are unlucky. (That doesn't make sense to me either. Once you get something, I thought you had immunity. Perhaps this virus acts differently.) My doctor suggested that once my current flare up is over, I should consider the vaccine, to help prevent future out breaks. Perhaps you never really kill the virus, since after chicken pox it remains latent in your system. It waits to be triggered by stress, or some other trauma.

You would think being retired I would be stress free, however, all I have to do is remember back to the fall when my father passed away, and there you go. We all handle and process events differently.

Again, do not rely on this forum for the end all in medical advice. See your Doctor for expert opinions!

Oh and by the way, the anti virals I am taking for my current case, are really working well. My symptoms are diminishing each day, and I only started this past Thursday. Early detection is key.
Old 01-28-2012, 08:26 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brdofpray View Post
I am no doctor, however mine did say you can get shingles twice, or even more times if you are unlucky. (That doesn't make sense to me either. Once you get something, I thought you had immunity. Perhaps this virus acts differently.) My doctor suggested that once my current flare up is over, I should consider the vaccine, to help prevent future out breaks. Perhaps you never really kill the virus, since after chicken pox it remains latent in your system. It waits to be triggered by stress, or some other trauma.
So I wonder how/why the immunization works?
Old 01-28-2012, 09:11 AM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestLake View Post
My brother got shingles and was instructed by his doc to get the vaccine after the initial outbreak was treated.
Old 01-28-2012, 11:26 AM   #32
Moderator Emeritus

Spouse has her shingles vaccine paperwork now and will be surrendering to Tripler Hospital later this week...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 11:55 AM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestLake View Post
It's highly recommended by the vaccine manufacturer.

More seriously, shingles can recur, and the vaccine is said to mitigate the problems if it does.
Old 01-28-2012, 09:37 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
More seriously, shingles can recur, and the vaccine is said to mitigate the problems if it does.
But doesn't it seem strange that having the outbreak doesn't provide immunity? Wonder what the vaccine does to prevent a new outbreak versus actually having a shingles outbreak.

Can anyone think of another disease/outbreak that doesn't provide immunity and for which there is a vaccination that provides more protection than the real thing?
Old 01-28-2012, 10:02 PM   #35
Recycles dryer sheets

My brother, a friend and a co-worker all had shingles in their late 30's. Stress related, but it really makes me want to get the vaccine. I'll look into it, but I don't know how old you have to be.
Old 01-29-2012, 06:29 AM   #36

Some scary things we were learning when DD had shingles - some people end up with ongoing pain even after the episode is over. Some say that taking steroid pills/cortisone during the outbreak would minimize the chances of this.

Not sure if the following information "from the Internets" (Shingles.com) is accurate:

What is postherpetic neuralgia (PHN)?
PHN is the most common complication of shingles. It is a condition in which severe pain from shingles may last for months, and sometimes years, after the shingles rash has healed. PHN occurs from damage to the nerve fibers, caused by the varicella zoster virus. Nerve fibers send messages from the skin to the brain. When nerve fibers are damaged during an outbreak of shingles, they are not able to send messages as they normally do. The body may perceive these "mixed messages" as pain.

What is ophthalmic zoster?
Ophthalmic zoster is the involvement of any part of the fifth cranial nerve (trigeminal) with the varicella zoster virus. The symptoms include a zoster rash that extends from the eye to the vertex of the scalp. If left untreated, ophthalmic zoster can lead to inflammation, corneal ulcers/scarring, impaired vision, and even blindness.

What is the incidence of ophthalmic zoster?
Of the 1,000,000 herpes zoster outbreaks every year in the U.S., an estimated 10 percent are ophthalmic zoster patients.

There seems to be conflicting information about getting Shingles a second time (some articles say 4% get it again, some say a second outbreak is usually in a different place).

But then, you gotta do your own homework - as one Internet source also recommended additional reading by pointing to "this" article.... Architectural Shingles Vs. Regular Shingles | eHow.com
Old 01-29-2012, 07:12 AM   #37

anyone know the actual name of the vaccine or what you would ask the pharmacist for?
Old 01-29-2012, 07:39 AM   #38
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank View Post
anyone know the actual name of the vaccine or what you would ask the pharmacist for?
Zostavax

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 09:13 AM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye View Post
But doesn't it seem strange that having the outbreak doesn't provide immunity?
In most cases, I agree completely.
Bt this one is different. Remember that you only get shingles if you were infected with the virus from chicken pox earlier in your life (same virus).
So that didn't give you any immunity. The virus takes up permanent residence, and flares up when it wants to.
Old 01-29-2012, 10:02 AM   #40

Reminder - the shingles vaccine cannot be taken by anyone who has a compromised immune system.