Shingles Vaccine

DW had it a couple of years ago, very painful. Key, we found, was early treatment. If you even think you might maybe possibly have it SPRINT to your Dr.'s office and camp there until he/she sees you.

If stress was the trigger it was her dad getting an artificial hip because it was right about that time.

Shingles vaccine

Hello Group,
Do you have to be 60 years old? A man I worked with just got over a severe case of shingles. After seeing him suffer I know I don't want it. Can a 55 years old get the dose?
Thanks for info,
Steve

Odds are the health care system is focusing the vaccine on the population most at risk.

My DH was a part of the research study, the VA was the group who tested it in our area. He got shingles during the study (mild case). It turned out that he got the placebo and at the end of the study received the vaccine. As a result of his participation he will receive treatment for shingles for the rest of his life (likely follow-up to the study).

Strange that it's only FDA approved for people over 60. I've seen many people suffer (some in their 20s and 30s), and I'd definitely get the vaccine if it significantly reduced my chances of getting it. But I doubt my HMO would give it off-label.

Last summer my mom had shingles in and around her eyes. She said she was hoping she would die so the pain would stop. It was the most painful thing she's ever been through and she has been through a lot. I'm going to suggest she have this vaccine. I wouldn't wish what she went through on my worst enemy.

You only need to observe one family member or friend with shingles to make you willing to pay for the vaccine. I got mine at the Public Health department, paid $196 for it (Medicare doesn't cover it, go figure, considering what Medicare is probably having to shell out for cases of shingles.....our gov.....pennywise and pound foolish).

I had no side effects, even the shot site wasn't tender. I'd definitely recommend getting it. The CDC recommends it for everyone over 60. I don't know why it isn't more publicized.

LooseChickens

LooseChickens is spot on. Having watched FIL suffer for 3+ years with the after-effects of a bad bout of shingles, my PCP absolutely agreed that I should get the vaccine as soon as I turned 60. Our health care plan covered the cost (~$180), but it would have been worth every penny even if they hadn't covered it. A lot of plans are getting wise to this preventative measure and starting to cover it.

In my area I have seen that Medicare Part D prescription plans have paid
for the vaccine with about a thirty dollar copay. Most other Rx insurance
plans have not paid for and retail cost is about $200-$220.

Update

When I started this thread last June, my brother was just recovering from his initial bout with shingles. It left him with a droopy eyelid and he recently had that fixed for $22K, covered by his insurance. His vision is still not 100% in the one eye most affected.

The one mistake that he made was not getting immediate medical attention - he waited a day or so. A hard lesson to learn - we are all older and less bullet proof now, so we need to seek medical attention more readily.

I got my shingles shot just this last Friday. My doc had been recommending it for about a year. This thread convinced me. This thread is a lot scarier than my doc. My shot cost $250. I'm sure that's on the high end. I'll see if my insurance company will kick in. But, in any case, I believe (hope) it was well worth the money. So, if you folks are looking for a deal, you will easily beat my cost and maybe that will be incentive enough to get the shot.

Back
Top Bottom