Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-07-2011, 02:22 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramer View Post
Yes, it really sucks. I wanted to get the standard Typhoid Vaccine (oral) last year in the USA (California) because my 5 years was up since I took it the last time -- this is recommended by the CDC for virtually all travelers. I priced it at the pharmacy (about $80), but they said I had to get a doctor's prescription. I called a local doctor and he said that will be $85 for the prescription. Can I also have permission to go to the bathroom, sir? Screw that. I just got it done when I traveled to Colombia, no prescription, and at a lower price.
But if you were a doctor, these laws would look pretty good.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-07-2011, 03:26 PM   #42
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
But if you were a doctor, these laws would look pretty good.
Not really: time and staff to take the call, message to doctor; quick chart scan by doctor for allergies, dose check, etc. OK the shot, take liability for same, write and deliver prescription to patient, perhaps a quick discussion re: side effects.

Net doctor time: say 10 min
Charge: $0
Cost (time, staff): -$10
Totals: 10 minutes of doctor time, $10 staff and phone/rx paid by doctor

I guess you could make it up on volume .

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 06:02 PM   #43
Give me a forum ...

Here's what I've found.

According to the pharmacist at Rite Aid (California), no prescription is necessary.

If you walk in and get it at Rite Aid, the cost is $200.

CVS will not give it to you if you are under 60 years old.

Blue cross covers it. We're below our deductible, and I can't find out how much it would be with the "negotiated rate." The pharmacist was relatively clueless about the insurance issue.

Our doc recommends it.
Old 07-07-2011, 11:17 PM   #44
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
The pharmacist was relatively clueless about the insurance issue.
Hey now, do you know how many phone calls we get from people who want to know how much something will be on their insurance?

Hate to break it to people, but we are not insurance agents for the 500,000 different plans that are out there.
No big book to look at either

A prescription has to be processed and sent to the insurance to get a price.
Old 07-08-2011, 09:28 AM   #45
Give me a forum ...

Well how do I find out about the "negotiated rate" if any? BC didn't know what it would be.

I think it will be: get shot, have Ritraid bill BC, find out what happens.
Old 07-08-2011, 10:02 AM   #46

Quote:
Well how do I find out about the "negotiated rate" if any? BC didn't know what it would be.

I think it will be: get shot, have Ritraid bill BC, find out what happens.

In "theory" BC should know the rate, they are the ones who set the contract price. The other way is to have the pharmacy fill it (process through the insurance), then they will tell you the price before the vaccination (they will want you to pay before injection). If it is more than you want to pay or are expecting, say, 'no thanks' and leave.

Off topic rant....

You'd be surprised how many people think they have to pick up their meds at the checkout. I don't understand people who pay $xxx.xx for a prescription then call 1/2 hour later and say, "I didn't realize it was so much (you didn't realize when you were paying??), I don't want it."
Well guess what? It can't be re-dispensed after it has left the pharmacy (and would you really want a med after it has gone home with someone else and come back??) it just gets destroyed.

If you find a pharmacy who will take it back and refund your money, they will have to cover the loss in higher prices just like everyone else in business.

So bottom line, when you get to the cash register and your rx is more than you thought, don't pick it up, ask questions or call you insurance and find out why.
Old 07-08-2011, 10:35 AM   #47
Give me a forum ...

This is, IMHO, the biggest single problem with health care in the USA.
There is no transparency on the cost of nearly everything, so the consumer can't shop around.
Old 07-08-2011, 11:19 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
This is, IMHO, the biggest single problem with health care in the USA.
There is no transparency on the cost of nearly everything, so the consumer can't shop around.
Well you do have to realize what you can shop around for...as for prescriptions if you pay cash, you can call any and each pharmacy and find out what their price is. If you have insurance you have to know what your plan pays.

In general...

If you have a flat copay i.e. $40 for brand name meds, you are going to pay $40 for your Lipitor no matter where you go b/c the cash price is going to be over that everywhere. If Walgreens says their Lipitor is $110 and CVS says $95 you still pay $40. You might say, well if I go to Walgreens, my insurance gets charged $15 extra. That isn't the case b/c your insurance company has a contracted price they are going to pay for Lipitor no matter what the cash price is, let's say it is $98. Walgreens gets paid $58 ($98-40 copay) and CVS gets paid $55 ($95-40 copay)because the insurance takes the lower of the two (cash price vs. contract price).

Now where you can save money is shopping on the generics. If you have a $10 generic copay and your Lisinopril is $4 at Wal-Mart or $15 at Walgreens, you can get it for $4 at Wal-Mart, then you *should* pay the $4 even if you run it through insurance (99% of insurance companies will charge you the lower of your copay or the cash price).
Or you will pay $10 at Walgreens b/c their cash price is higher than your copay (unless the insurance price is contracted for lower, which doesn't happen very often on generics, this is how chains make up for what they feel like they are being screwed on brand name drugs). For a savings to you of $6 by going to Wal-Mart.

Having said that, it is my opinion that you find the one pharmacy that has the best overall prices (and service) and go there. You want to keep all your prescriptions at one pharmacy so they can continually check for drug interactions.

So to swing back on topic, Trombone Al should pay his contracted price through BC if he gets his shingles vaccine through Rite Aid ($200 cash price) or Walgreens ($220 cash price).
Old 07-08-2011, 12:10 PM   #49
Give me a forum ...

Thanks, Ronnieboy.

Mayohealth.org says: "But if you're younger than age 60, hold off on the shingles vaccine until you reach that age."

WebMD says: "The CDC recommends a single dose of the shingles vaccine for people aged 50 and older..."
Old 07-08-2011, 01:40 PM   #50
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Thanks, Ronnieboy.

Mayohealth.org says: "But if you're younger than age 60, hold off on the shingles vaccine until you reach that age."

WebMD says: "The CDC recommends a single dose of the shingles vaccine for people aged 50 and older..."

The few people that I know who got shingles got it between 50 and 60... only one that I know over 60....
Old 07-08-2011, 02:02 PM   #51
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
The few people that I know who got shingles got it between 50 and 60... only one that I know over 60....
My brother got a terrible case of shingles at age 64, so it can happen.

I got shingles at age 7, after a (believe it or not) severe case of chicken pox closely following an even more severe case of measles at age 6. Age 6 was the pits. Shingles was no picnic but I think symptoms in children are more bearable than in adults (or so I was told at the time).

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 04:31 PM   #53
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
My brother got a terrible case of shingles at age 64, so it can happen.

I got shingles at age 7, after a (believe it or not) severe case of chicken pox closely following an even more severe case of measles at age 6. Age 6 was the pits. Shingles was no picnic but I think symptoms in children are more bearable than in adults (or so I was told at the time).
Oh, I think that most people get shingle after age 60.... but enough get it earlier that I was willing to pay the $200 even though I am 53.... I do not want to go through it if that is all it costs...

However, there is no guarantee I will not... just playing the odds...
Old 07-08-2011, 08:05 PM   #54
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
Oh, I think that most people get shingle after age 60.... but enough get it earlier that I was willing to pay the $200 even though I am 53.... I do not want to go through it if that is all it costs...

However, there is no guarantee I will not... just playing the odds...

Good choice ! I got it at 49 and shingles was the most painful thing I ever had .
Old 07-08-2011, 08:55 PM   #55
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
Good choice ! I got it at 49 and shingles was the most painful thing I ever had .
Think I will ask my doc about it later this summer when I have my annual physical. Might as well knock it out.
Old 07-09-2011, 01:06 AM   #56
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I was at the doctor today for routine check up and we discussed this again. Her option for me was since I'm healthy and my immune system is not comprised is that I should not worry. I'm not sure if I had chicken pox but most of us did as kids so I assume i did too. If I worked around people in a nursing home or hospital then she suggested I get the shot as Shingles can be caught from someone that has it. Since I'm healthy and avoid people and seldom are around them and never go to hospitals or nursing homes I'm probably safe. I could get the shot as a precaution but it doesn't sound like I'm at risk. I also live a very stress free life being retired and avoiding people so that's another factor I don't have to worry about.

I should call BC/BS and see what they cover. I hate taking any medications (not on anything) so if I can avoid this I will.
Old 07-09-2011, 10:10 AM   #57
Give me a forum ...

I would feel the same way, except:

1. I'm not stressed now, but perhaps something could happen that would cause stress.

2. Shingles sounds so awful.

3. The vaccine seems safe.

4. We can afford $400.
Old 07-09-2011, 04:38 PM   #58
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
Here's what I've found.

According to the pharmacist at Rite Aid (California), no prescription is necessary.

Blue cross covers it. We're below our deductible, and I can't find out how much it would be with the "negotiated rate." The pharmacist was relatively clueless about the insurance issue.

Our doc recommends it.
I can prove I am 60.

I talked to the pharmacist ~3 months ago & he never mentioned prescription.
I see people here saying they didn't need a prescription.
I see doctors saying people have always needed a prescription.

What will a doctor test me for to see if I am worthy of a shingles vaccine?

How messed up is our health system?
Old 07-09-2011, 05:54 PM   #59
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Here's what I've found.

Our doc recommends it.
In January 2010, I tried to obtain insurance/contract prices for blood tests because I was attempting to determine whether the cash price at one lab was better than the contract price at another lab (Quest) which I would have to pay out of pocket using my new "off brand" high deductible policy (which I no longer have).

I went around and around with my insurance company and Quest before I finally learned I needed to provide the code (can't recall the same but I think it is seven digits) to the insurance company and they would give me the percentage discount. To determine my cost, I obtained the code and the "rack rate" test price from Quest and applied the insurance discount provided by the one helpful human at my insurance company.

When I first contacted the insurance company, I asked if they could give me a price for each test to which they responded "no." It took me several phone calls to learn I was asking the wrong question as the insurance company didn't provide prices but they did provide the discount percentage.

Apparently these codes are the secret decoder ring required to speak insurance-ese. What a convoluted system.
Old 07-09-2011, 08:30 PM   #60

Quote:
I would feel the same way, except:

1. I'm not stressed now, but perhaps something could happen that would cause stress.

2. Shingles sounds so awful.

3. The vaccine seems safe.

4. We can afford $400.
+1

I'm getting it when I hit the big 5-0

As RiT already mentioned until the chicken pox vaccine came out(1995), most people have been exposed to/had chicken pox by 18 y.o. whether it be mild, never officially diagnosed or forgotten about.
You can't get shingles itself from someone who has shingles, but you can get the chicken pox from them which could lead to shingles.