Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-11-2011, 11:21 AM   #81
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyd View Post
I got this a few years ago along with a pneumonia shot.

Both are once in a lifetime deals.

I did have to go to the local Army med center to get mine as it was not available at the Army health clinic. The Dr did have to perscribe it.
Is the pneumonia one really lifetime? I got one last year and thought the nurse said to get it every few years, but I could be wrong on that.
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-11-2011, 11:34 AM   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
Is the pneumonia one really lifetime? I got one last year and thought the nurse said to get it every few years, but I could be wrong on that.
Here's the section from Medline Plus:
Quote:
You need at least one shot of the vaccine. One dose works for most people. You may need a second dose if:
  • You had the first shot more than 5 years ago and you are now over age 65
  • Your immune system is weakened
  • You have chronic kidney failure or nephritic syndrome
  • You have sickle cell disease
  • Your spleen has been removed
Old 08-11-2011, 11:49 AM   #83
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I got my shot recently. about $240!! My insurance paid for about $200 of it, thankfully, but I would have got it anyway. My friend had shingles and he suffered for months with pain and discomfort. He would have paid $1000 for a cure.

My doctor told me the vaccine is very hard to get. They got their second shipment of the year in July - 10 doses. I got dose number 6. He expected the supply to last less than a week.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 06:34 AM   #84
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Here's the section from Medline Plus:
Thanks, I am diabetic, but do not believe I have any of the listed conditions, unless the kidney thing would somehow apply to a diabetic.
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 10:14 AM   #85
Give me a forum ...

The news that the shingles vaccine is covered for those age 50 to 59 lit a fire under me and I decided to see what hoops I have to jump though to get it.

In my case, in Michigan with BCBS, the shot is covered but only for age 60+ and only if given in a doctor's office. On the other hand, I can just drive to the local Walgreens and they will stick me for $220, no prescription, no age limit. I just turned 59, so I think I'll just go with Walgreens both for the extra year of protection and the reduced hassle.

UPDATE
When I went to Walgreens today, the pharmacist wouldn't give me the vaccine because I was under 60. I stood my ground, explaining the recent FDA decision. he eventually backed down, but not before my blood pressure took a hike. My advice, lie about your age. They don't card you.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 09:04 PM   #86
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by mystang52;1086657[COLOR=darkred
]The shingles vaccine has live virus in it.[/COLOR] That is no problem for healthy people, but the vaccine cannot be taken by anyone with a compromised immunity system.
Now that got my attention and makes me a little nervous.

That being said my mother had shingles around her eye and forehead. It was very painful and left her with a bad habit of constantly rubbing her eye red until she died about 15 years later.

Don't remember if I had chicken pox when I was little but probably did if it was popular in the 50's (now I'm 63). I guess I should ask about it when I see the doctor next week. I've endured enough pain the last few years. Don't need any more for awhile/ever.
Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 11:32 PM   #87
Moderator Emeritus

For those on Oahu, Long's has the vaccine in stock. $224 (no general excise tax!).

Tricare doesn't cover the vaccine but Tripler Army Medical Center's Immunology clinic will happily vaccinate military & families at certain days/times of the week. PM me if you want details & phone numbers. I'm planning to get it done next week.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 12:57 AM   #88
Full time employment: Posting here.

I went to a HMO for a check up and they gave me the shingles vaccine. I didn't even know they had one but it was free so I took it. They did it on my underarm and it turn red and hard for a couple of weeks. I was pleased with the HMO it only cost a copay for each visit and covered everything. They did two mammograms and a needle biopsy, pap test , 2 diabetes tests, and shots for a total cost of about $90. Nothing wrong with me so a waste of money except the vaccinations.
old woman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 02:28 AM   #89
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by old woman View Post
They did two mammograms and a needle biopsy, pap test , 2 diabetes tests, and shots for a total cost of about $90. Nothing wrong with me so a waste of money except the vaccinations.
What value do you place on peace of mind? $90 sounds like good value.
Old 08-19-2011, 07:12 AM   #90

Quote:
I went to a HMO for a check up and they gave me the shingles vaccine. I didn't even know they had one but it was free so I took it. They did it on my underarm and it turn red and hard for a couple of weeks. I was pleased with the HMO it only cost a copay for each visit and covered everything. They did two mammograms and a needle biopsy, pap test , 2 diabetes tests, and shots for a total cost of about $90. Nothing wrong with me so a waste of money except the vaccinations.
Underarm? Owwww...is that the normal place for this vaccine?
happy2bretired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 07:17 AM   #91

Mine was in the back of my upper arm and just barely under the skin.
Old 08-19-2011, 01:50 PM   #92

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Mine was in the back of my upper arm and just barely under the skin.

That is the normal place, subcutaneous around the triceps muscle.

I found a place that administers them for $187 cash price. The name of the place sounds like "Kostco"

The vaccine is a live attenuated virus, which means while the virus is live, it has been modified so it cannot replicate. This is why you might get a slight immune response. But that is the whole reasoning/response around getting a vaccination, your body/immune system has been primed by this antigen to put up a fight for when the real disease shows up.
Old 08-19-2011, 02:59 PM   #93
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I went to a HMO for a check up and they gave me the shingles vaccine. I didn't even know they had one but it was free so I took it. They did it on my underarm
That was a good idea. Now you can be sure you'll never get shingles in you underarm.
Old 08-19-2011, 07:35 PM   #94

I meant the back of my arm on the underside not my arm pit.
old woman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 08:38 AM   #95

I'm so glad to hear that. Waiting for my shot...I'm on the LIST at my doctor's office.
happy2bretired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 08:31 PM   #96

I got mine last week. I was at the Dr. for a regular appointment in Sept. and got the flu and pneumonia vaccines. I mentioned that my insurance plan covers the shingles vaccine at 100% only if given at the doctor's office. My Dr. said she'd look into it and let me know.

A month or so later I got a call that my vaccine was in and that I should call for an appointment. They have vaccination clinic days so I got in a few weeks later and got my injection.

I haven't seen the claim on the insurance site yet, but our plan info said it's paid at 100% and you have to be 50 years old.
Old 11-27-2011, 09:34 PM   #97
Recycles dryer sheets

I was in Colorado a couple of years ago for an extended camping trip. I picked up a local paper and saw an article about health for seniors. It noted that on Saturday morning, they were having a health program for seniors at the local hospital and were giving free shingles vaccinations. DH and I attended, not knowing if we qualified since we were not Colorado residents, but they said it was a federal grant and residency was not an issue. We both got the vaccination. It was at the end of summer and they cautioned us not to get the flu shot for at least 3 months.
Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 03:33 PM   #98
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
I gather there is no official policy anywhere?
Old 11-28-2011, 04:43 PM   #99
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
I gather there is no official policy anywhere?
There is no single "official policy". It varies by State, and by your insurance provider. Why not call your local county health dept and insurance provider?

A Shingles Vaccine is Available - Shingles Prevention Advocate

Quote:
However, some insurance plans don't provide benefits when Zostavax is administered by a pharmacist. Some states require a prescription from a physician before a pharmacist can provide vaccination.
-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 11:24 AM   #100
Moderator Emeritus

Just to follow up on my earlier posts in this thread, I got the vaccine yesterday at Tripler. No fuss, in & out in 15 minutes. No detectable side effects.

If you're a veteran then I'd highly recommend checking with the VA. If you're a military retiree then you should talk to a military treatment facility. They may argue about the new age 50 limit, but your persistence could save you a couple hundred bucks...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote