Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-23-2011, 04:11 AM   #101
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
One man's toxin is another man's...
My understanding is that the form of THC which is stored in fat is not the one which gets you high. I also don't know of any evidence that it's toxic, let alone "a toxin" (which in any case is a term which is probably being abused by whoever is selling the miracle cure).

Generally speaking, the human body evolved to get rid of substances which are bad for it, not to retain them. But let's suppose for a moment that taking "toxins" out of circulation into fat was a good idea. Surely then, releasing those toxins by eliminating the fat would be a bad idea ? It sounds like asbestos in old buildings: no danger to anybody until you start to knock down the walls.
BigNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-23-2011, 08:08 AM   #102
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
IIRC it's complicated because unhealthy people die sooner.
I was thinking of this study, looking at the costs of smoking for society:
However, smokers die some 10 years earlier than nonsmokers, according to the CDC, and those premature deaths provide a savings to Medicare, Social Security, private pensions and other programs.

A Dutch study published last year in the Public Library of Science Medicine journal said that health care costs for smokers were about $326,000 from age 20 on, compared to about $417,000 for thin and healthy people.

The reason: The thin, healthy people lived much longer.

Old 08-23-2011, 08:14 AM   #103
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Sad, but we could probably solve a large portion of our future Medicare problems by encouraging everyone over the age of 50 to overeat and start smoking...
Old 08-23-2011, 08:22 AM   #104
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Ah, to be 32 again. I was famous for how much I could eat, and once ate 24 little steaks.
That's what I was thinking.

With age comes wisdom (and a bit of weight )...

Reminds me of the statement "youth is wasted on the young"...
rescueme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 08:26 AM   #105
Moderator Emeritus

If some unhealthy or obese people die younger and save medical dollars, SS, etc., and some live longer and do the opposite, and neither directly affects us, it's probably a wash.

So no one really needs to become the health police in terms of any one else's choices, do we?
Old 08-23-2011, 08:30 AM   #106
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
So no one really needs to become the health police in terms of any one else's choices, do we?
Sure we do; what else would we talk about all day? ...
Old 08-23-2011, 08:36 AM   #107
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Sad, but we could probably solve a large portion of our future Medicare problems by encouraging everyone over the age of 50 to overeat and start smoking...
How much encouragement have we had to supply so far?

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 09:04 AM   #108
Give me a forum ...

My late sister the food scientist explained it to me this way: "Human are genetically predispositioned to hunger for two things, fats and sweets". So, all the food industry is doing is giving people the things their brain tells them they crave, pretty simple, huh?"

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 09:08 AM   #109
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfishnevada View Post
Even those terms [overweight and obese] are bogus. Bodybuilders are obese if you only use the BMI charts.
And what percentage of the population are professional bodybuilders?

So if a metric is invalid for 0.0001% of the population, but perfectly valid for the other 99.9999%, that makes it "bogus?"

I think BMI is a useful rule of thumb, but not a precise medical diagnostic tool. If your BMI says you're "obese," but you're a professional bodybuilder, then disregard it. Otherwise, maybe it's worth talking to your doctor, hmm?
kombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 11:43 AM   #110
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by rescueme View Post
Sure we do; what else would we talk about all day? ...

Okay, I'll fill in as the health officer of the day, then: I have a heavy sister-in-law whose mother did a great job creating weight issues for her starting in her teens when she was maybe 5 lbs. overweight but her mother couldn't overlook it. I wonder how many obese people can trace their psychological weight issues back to parents who weren't happy with them.
Old 08-23-2011, 12:13 PM   #111
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm seriously obese - and I'm also the healthiest person I know. I can easily walk a mile (slowly), and probably more (if I liked it enough to try). I can easily swim 2 miles a day and don't even breathe hard. I teach Hawaiian dance and tap dancing. I do geocaching for hours at a time. I rarely get sick.

My heart, blood pressure, blood sugar and cholesterol are all normal.

If weight was as easy to lose as motivation, I'd be skinny. I can last about 2 days, and then I go for simplicity (in the form of take-out). I like to think that, once I retire, I'll suddenly feel the need to lose weight and make sweeping lifestyle changes, but the reality is that I probably won't.

What is far more likely is that I will start a movement to have plane seats, theatre seats and restaurant booths fixed so that people who are a molecule larger than the average anorexic fashion model will be able to fit into them.
Old 08-23-2011, 12:45 PM   #112
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfishnevada View Post
My body loves my current weight. I've been up to 20 lbs lighter on several occasions, but no matter what I do, once I stop dieting, my weight jumps back up. I'm talking days, not weeks or months. If a pound is 3500 calories, there is no way I take in an additional 35000 to 70000 calories in the course of a week or so.
Sounds like the set-point idea. Do you think there's any way a person could permanently lower their set point?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeromelen
I've been overweight for years, dieted for years, lost and regained weight for years and now I've found the answer.......don't diet
Do you believe in the idea that going down and back up in weight increases your set point permanently? That is, each trip up and down the yo-yo makes one stabilize at an even higher weight than before?

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyp
The 4 cal pill may make you hungry but we still have free will to eat more or less.
Once I realized that the way I feel when I've been on a daily caloric deficit for four weeks, is the way obese people feel when they've been on their own deficit for X many weeks, I lost the ability to blame them for not being able to break past a certain barrier. The remnant parts of our brain that control appetite, sex drive, hormones, and all that sort of thing outside the realm of conscious free will, is stupendously strong.
a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 12:53 PM   #113
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
I wonder how many obese people can trace their psychological weight issues back to parents who weren't happy with them.
I can link other problems I have back to my parents (just ask DW for a list), but weight was not one of them ...
Old 08-23-2011, 12:56 PM   #114
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by a View Post
Sounds like the set-point idea. Do you think there's any way a person could permanently lower their set point?
I have no personal experience, but this has worked in some studies. Permanent is a big word, but it seems that it might be low risk to try this liquid diet.

Whole Health Source: Food Palatability and Body Fatness: Clues from Alliesthesia

Ha
Old 08-23-2011, 01:32 PM   #115
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rescueme View Post
I can link other problems I have back to my parents (just ask DW for a list), but weight was not one of them ...
If I had an in-depth discussion of my parents on here, it would easily take up 2000+ posts.............

Old 08-23-2011, 01:38 PM   #116
Give me a forum ...

All of my stellar traits are the result of my own brilliance and hard work, all my bad ones are of course my parents' fault. See, it can be done with less than 2000 posts!

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 01:47 PM   #117
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
All of my stellar traits are the result of my own brilliance and hard work, all my bad ones are of course my parents' fault. See, it can be done with less than 2000 posts!
You met the REASONABLE side of my family in SC.........

Old 08-23-2011, 02:34 PM   #118
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
I have no personal experience, but this has worked in some studies. Permanent is a big word, but it seems that it might be low risk to try this liquid diet.

Whole Health Source: Food Palatability and Body Fatness: Clues from Alliesthesia

Ha
Thanks for the tip. The alliesthesia concept is one I hadn't come across though I read avidly on set point the past few days. That blog post also has many responses below it with good links.
a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 02:49 PM   #119
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by a View Post
Thanks for the tip. The alliesthesia concept is one I hadn't come across though I read avidly on set point the past few days. That blog post also has many responses below it with good links.

So, in other words, if it tastes good, don't eat it.
Old 08-23-2011, 03:45 PM   #120
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
On Comedy Central a few years ago, there was a guy picking on obese people. He commented that: "Not all obses people should think they have to lose weight, on the fat ones"..........he got pretty good crowd response on that........

The only issue I have with people that are very overweight is at times their choice of dress. Shoehorning yourself into tight Spandex pants WILL get you noticed, but often NOT in the right way........
This is a particular pet peeve of mine. A few extra pounds means you need larger clothing. Hellooooooo
I myself am a size 18 at 5'6", 183 pounds. Sounds like a lot for a woman, but my body frame is large and I have a lot of large muscle mass and dense bones from years of playing sports.
However, I carry my extra "out of shape" pounds around the middle, so the LAST thing I would wear is a bikini, a cropped midriff shirt, or low slung jeans. Apple body types do not look good in these clothing styles.