Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-23-2011, 04:45 PM   #121
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Sad, but we could probably solve a large portion of our future Medicare problems by encouraging everyone over the age of 50 to overeat and start smoking...
Can I start drinking more too?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
If some unhealthy or obese people die younger and save medical dollars, SS, etc., and some live longer and do the opposite, and neither directly affects us, it's probably a wash.

So no one really needs to become the health police in terms of any one else's choices, do we?
Makes you wonder why he nanny state even exists, doesn't it? They all claim the risky stuff we all do costs society money. Apparently it saves society money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kombat View Post
And what percentage of the population are professional bodybuilders?

So if a metric is invalid for 0.0001% of the population, but perfectly valid for the other 99.9999%, that makes it "bogus?"

I think BMI is a useful rule of thumb, but not a precise medical diagnostic tool. If your BMI says you're "obese," but you're a professional bodybuilder, then disregard it. Otherwise, maybe it's worth talking to your doctor, hmm?
The BMI is not valid for me, but I'm not a body builder, just used to lift a lot of weights and have a big build. It's not valid for some very thin people I know. When my doctor insists I need to weigh 185 max even though a simple body fat calculation indicates I should weigh about 220, it is no longer worth talking about. I would have to lose a lot of muscle to get to 185. Maybe I could cut off a leg.

Quote:
Originally Posted by a View Post
Sounds like the set-point idea. Do you think there's any way a person could permanently lower their set point?
I'm sure there is, but I haven't found it yet. Maybe sustained calorie deficit, maybe more intense exercise, who knows? I tried the HCG diet. If you aren't familiar, a google search will give you more info that you can shake a stick at. Its supposed to reset you metabolism. I have seen it work for some people, but I gained the weight back within two weeks. I can't even eat the calories I'm supposed to, 3200 or so, without feeling terrible. I eat around 2500 a day. If you believe the diet literature, I'm in starvation mode at 2500 and that's why I gained weight. My ramped up metabolism needs more food. I'm not buying it.

flyfishnevada is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-23-2011, 04:55 PM   #122
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
However, I carry my extra pounds around the middle, so the LAST thing I would wear is a bikini, a cropped midriff shirt, or low slung jeans. Apple body types do not look good in these clothing styles.

Sadly, everything I wear becomes a thong. It ain't pretty

Old 08-23-2011, 05:10 PM   #123
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I understand where you are coming from, but must demur on the way you phrase it. Public seats fit me fine, yet that doesn't make me anorexic, nor a fashion model. Anorexia is a serious mental disorder, and it is wrong to compare anyone who isn't anorexic, to someone who is suffering from it. It also doesn't mean I have no sympathy for big people who feel squished!

Let's just agree that the paying public deserves a variety of seating to accommodate our diverse human sizes and builds.

Amethyst

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuiloa View Post
I'm seriously obese - ... I will start a movement to have plane seats, theatre seats and restaurant booths fixed so that people who are a molecule larger than the average anorexic fashion model will be able to fit into them.
Old 08-23-2011, 05:13 PM   #124
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Sadly, everything I wear becomes a thong. It ain't pretty
This thread is useless without pic..........oh never mind.
Old 08-23-2011, 05:38 PM   #125
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
This is a particular pet peeve of mine. A few extra pounds means you need larger clothing. Hellooooooo
I myself am a size 18 at 5'6", 183 pounds. Sounds like a lot for a woman, but my body frame is large and I have a lot of large muscle mass and dense bones from years of playing sports.
However, I carry my extra "out of shape" pounds around the middle, so the LAST thing I would wear is a bikini, a cropped midriff shirt, or low slung jeans. Apple body types do not look good in these clothing styles.
You look marvelous freebird
Old 08-23-2011, 05:40 PM   #126
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
I understand where you are coming from, but must demur on the way you phrase it. Public seats fit me fine, yet that doesn't make me anorexic, nor a fashion model. Anorexia is a serious mental disorder, and it is wrong to compare anyone who isn't anorexic, to someone who is suffering from it. It also doesn't mean I have no sympathy for big people who feel squished!

Let's just agree that the paying public deserves a variety of seating to accommodate our diverse human sizes and builds.

Amethyst
You're right - eating disorders come in all sizes. Anorexics should not be picked on any more than those of us who are girth-illy challenged.

But I stand by my belief that the designers of airplane seats all graduated from the Marquis de Sade School of Medieval Torture and Dysfunctional Ergonomics
Old 08-23-2011, 05:49 PM   #127
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purron View Post
You look marvelous freebird
Well thank you.
I feel comfy in my own skin. My best weight is 170, making that middle pudge go down to just a slight bump in the scenery. At 183, I just have to suck it in more.
I like being a larger framed woman. If I gain more than 5 lbs, like I did last winter, it distributes over a larger area.
When the men stop looking, then I know I'm in trouble.
Old 08-23-2011, 05:58 PM   #128
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Oh...there's NO WAY the men will stop looking! You got it goin' on girl!
Old 08-23-2011, 06:47 PM   #129
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Well thank you.
I feel comfy in my own skin. My best weight is 170, making that middle pudge go down to just a slight bump in the scenery. At 183, I just have to suck it in more.
I like being a larger framed woman. If I gain more than 5 lbs, like I did last winter, it distributes over a larger area.
Freebird, you are a beautiful woman. When I was freakin' about facing my former coworkers at the company picnic you gave me the best advice. Basically, hold my head up, dress well, smile and exude confidence. It worked baby. Love you.
Old 08-23-2011, 07:00 PM   #130
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
Oh...there's NO WAY the men will stop looking! You got it goin' on girl!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purron View Post
Freebird, you are a beautiful woman. When I was freakin' about facing my former coworkers at the company picnic you gave me the best advice. Basically, hold my head up, dress well, smile and exude confidence. It worked baby. Love you.
Can I please "keep" you two?

In all seriousness, no matter what you weigh (within reason) or how you look, it is the confidence you carry with you and what's in your heart that makes a person beautiful.
Thin people and heavy people can be ugly, all over the planet.

If too much weight is negatively affecting your health, it is only the person looking back in the mirror, when you are brushing your teeth, who needs to make changes. Nobody else can do it for you.

BTW, the standard charts show me as overweight. Big Bronx cheer!
Old 08-23-2011, 07:30 PM   #131

Quote:
... I can easily swim 2 miles a day and don't even breathe hard. ...
Now that's impressive!
Old 08-24-2011, 12:18 PM   #132
Recycles dryer sheets

I've been on a weight- loss quest since January and have lost 40 pounds with 25 more to go. In January, my doctor lectured me about having a 40-percent chance of stroking out within the next 10 years, that if i lost 10 percent of my body weight mt arthritis would feel better, and he could take me off some blood-pressure meds so I'd have more energy. Well I go to see him tomorrow and can't wait to hear what he says when I tell him my arthritis is a lot worse and my BP readings haven't changed at all. I'm certainly happy to have lost weight and people tell me I look great, but it hasn't effected my health that much.
Old 08-24-2011, 12:49 PM   #133
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glo View Post
I've been on a weight- loss quest since January and have lost 40 pounds with 25 more to go. In January, my doctor lectured me about having a 40-percent chance of stroking out within the next 10 years, that if i lost 10 percent of my body weight mt arthritis would feel better, and he could take me off some blood-pressure meds so I'd have more energy. Well I go to see him tomorrow and can't wait to hear what he says when I tell him my arthritis is a lot worse and my BP readings haven't changed at all. I'm certainly happy to have lost weight and people tell me I look great, but it hasn't effected my health that much.
I'm not a doctor...

Some in the paleo/primal community recommend reducing or eliminating grains, legumes, and vegetable oils, one reason being inflammatory properties of the aforementioned foods. Since arthritis involves inflammation in the joints, perhaps reducing/eliminating these foods would help.

I repeat, though, I'm not a doctor...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 01:03 PM   #134
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glo View Post
Whether you are health or not, losing weight has other benefits and is worth doing if you can manage it for it's own sake. I won't defend staying overweight if you can otherwise help it. I only argue that it isn't necessarily a death sentence.

I too, got worse when i lost weight. I have always had back issues, but regular walking kept the muscles toned and kept the pain at bay most fo the time. Since I lost 50 or 60 lbs it has gotten worse. Walking no longer keeps it at bay. I finally went to a chiropractor to help me sort it out. She agreed that it is possible losing the weight may have changed things structurally and that might be the reason. Of course, there was a lot of mights and maybes in there. I mean, if you've been overweight for a long period your body gets used to it, adjusted to the weight and when you lose it, it has to compensate. That could cause a worsening of some conditions as I believe it did with me. Still, I'm glad I lost the weight.

flyfishnevada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 12:23 PM   #135
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
Now that's impressive!

I didn't say I went fast
Old 08-27-2011, 06:57 AM   #136
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by kombat View Post
I'm extremely fit (I run 15 miles per week
I dunno.....in my 30s I used to run 70 miles a week, (10 miles a day, every day), and, comparatively speaking, (I used to compare myself to those who were waaay better), I didn't consider myself 'extremely fit'.

All relative, I guess.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 07:26 AM   #137
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo2 View Post
I dunno.....in my 30s I used to run 70 miles a week, (10 miles a day, every day), and, comparatively speaking, (I used to compare myself to those who were waaay better), I didn't consider myself 'extremely fit'.

All relative, I guess.
That should be against the law, because heaven knows your knees are trashed and you will be a huge burden on our health system. I say we outlaw jogging. Let's get more laws on the books and hire more government folks to police this (provided more government employees continue to study the issue and report to the other government employees about their findings and then the third group of government employees decide how to protect you/us).

Keep the government out of my health habits (FWIW, I'm no health nut, but I would not be considered fat or obese by anybody's standards).

Regarding the "policing" of this sort of stuff. I sorta think it's our job as citizens to "regulate" acceptable behavior. That's why I'm not overly politically correct. Fat people are fat. Stupid people are stupid. Losers are losers.
Old 08-27-2011, 08:21 AM   #138
Give me a forum ...

As I have gotten older, I have learned to be less judgmental. Although I must confess, I still hold a grudge against a few of the fat ones in walmart who get on the power carts and send me flying into the cereal boxes on the shelf, because they think they own the road and know no rules of civility in the aisle way ! I stay thin and fit more for self vanity reasons than health though. If my GF ever kicks me to the curb, I need to be in shape to compete for the next! Seriously though, as I have gotten older and understand the meaning of aches and pains, I want to protect my joints by keeping all the weight off. I always want to be mobile and active. I know many people have had them, but I absolutely fear joint replacement and don't want to ever have anything cut on or replaced. Hopefully keeping the weight off will avoid this.
Old 08-27-2011, 09:32 AM   #139
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
As I have gotten older, I have learned to be less judgmental.
How have you done this? I'm serious, because I would like to learn this. Was it a conscious thing, or did it just happen?

--------------------

I'm not judgmental about obese people, however, since I see them as victims of poor dietary advice.
Old 08-27-2011, 10:45 AM   #140
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
Hopefully keeping the weight off will avoid this.
I doubt very much that this is a good strategy. Physical therapy including resistance exercises is sometimes recommended as an alternative to knee surgery. Personally, I run about 18 miles a week (on grass and sand), do squats and lunges, and at 69, my knees are just fine.