Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-27-2011, 11:04 AM   #141
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl

How have you done this? I'm serious, because I would like to learn this. Was it a conscious thing, or did it just happen?

--------------------

I'm not judgmental about obese people, however, since I see them as victims of poor dietary advice.
Al, Oh I used to be real bad! I can still crack a good joke too in the privacy of my friends. Ive kind of turned into a libertarian in my middle age years. If you want to smoke, drink, or eat yourself to death its your body. I've just accepted people are going to be the way they want to be and you can't change them no matter what. Some have health misfortune, some are lazy, a lot of people are incredibly stupid, some don't give a damn about their health either. I'm so used to being around it I don't think anything of it, except for those who hop in the motorized scooters at Walmart and try to run me over! I do have a bias that some have mentioned about health care costs driven up by this epidemic. But I am largely around it with a very low premium, HD HSA, so I am saving money by being healthy and paying myself instead of the insurance companies who have to pay for the self inflicted maladies (keep in mind I am not referring to people who have unforeseen illnesses strike them for no fault of their own).

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-27-2011, 11:12 AM   #142
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
How have you done this? I'm serious, because I would like to learn this. Was it a conscious thing, or did it just happen?

--------------------

I'm not judgmental about obese people, however, since I see them as victims of poor dietary advice.
One really good way is to realize that if one is judgmental, others wil perceive him as a jerk. Worse yet, if he is male and getting on in years, they will perceive him as an out-of-it old bigot.

Awareness that he world is passing you buy works like a charm. Though there are those who just say great, the world sucks anyway.

Ha

Old 08-27-2011, 11:13 AM   #143
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregLee
I doubt very much that this is a good strategy. Physical therapy including resistance exercises is sometimes recommended as an alternative to knee surgery. Personally, I run about 18 miles a week (on grass and sand), do squats and lunges, and at 69, my knees are just fine.
I didn't mean to imply running is harmful to your knees if you have sound knees. I've got arthritis in my family and some have had knee replacement surgery. I used to be a runner but my knees are starting to ache from it. I've taken up walking hilly terrain and elliptical machine work. My knees feel so much better. Adding body fat weight that is not needed would do them no good I believe.
Old 08-27-2011, 11:54 AM   #144
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl

--------------------

Al, I'm getting senile, as I forgot the most important thought in my thinking. When I was younger, I would drink beer, eat potato chips, anything with grease be skinny as they come and make fun of fat people. I guess I thought they just sat around and ate barrels of junk food by the couch. As I gotten older I realize there is a significant segment of the population that struggle with weight and eat less than I do. Although I do exercise religiously, and eat healthy as best I can. I am here eating pringles while I type this. My fortunate health and weight ( 6"1, 163lbs) I now understand is more being a "gene lottery winner" as opposed to my superior healthy lifestyle, so I really shouldn't judge others who did not share in my lottery fortune.
Old 08-27-2011, 03:18 PM   #145
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
I didn't mean to imply running is harmful to your knees if you have sound knees. I've got arthritis in my family and some have had knee replacement surgery. I used to be a runner but my knees are starting to ache from it. I've taken up walking hilly terrain and elliptical machine work. My knees feel so much better. Adding body fat weight that is not needed would do them no good I believe.
I have bone-on-bone osteoarthritis in both knees, (no cartilage), I used to run with tensor bandages, and managed a marathon in Jiddah, Saudi, at age 41.....tapered off from there....had arthroscopy on both knees at age 56...2 orthopedic surgeons have said that "Sooner or later" I'll require knee replacements, but that it's better to make it "later".

Right now we have an elliptical trainer which gets a lot of use.

Both my lady and I like to exercise, and we feel better for it.....we can't indulge in (as) many food/drink items as we could when we were younger, but one learns to enjoy & appreciate the things that one can eat with (virtual) impunity.

Although.....as the T-shirt says:

Eat Properly
Exercise Regularly
Die Anyway

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 04:35 PM   #146
Give me a forum ...

That reminds me - what is the protocol for seating? In the doctor's waiting room last week, I sat in an extra-wide chair (about 1.5 times the width of the other chairs). There were 2 such chairs. A very petite Asian couple (man and woman) occupied the other. If an obese patient entered the waiting room, should one rise and give them one's seat?

Amethyst

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuiloa View Post
You're right - eating disorders come in all sizes. Anorexics should not be picked on any more than those of us who are girth-illy challenged.

But I stand by my belief that the designers of airplane seats all graduated from the Marquis de Sade School of Medieval Torture and Dysfunctional Ergonomics
Old 08-27-2011, 04:37 PM   #147

Words like "all" and "always", like "none" or "never," commonly turn a general truth into a specific falsehood.

"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote