Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-21-2011, 10:14 PM   #41
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregLee View Post
Obesity in the US has been caused by nationalized medicine?
No, the fact that you have to pay for other people's health problem, as asserted by floridanurse, has been. Or that was my assertion, if in fact you are all responsible for the cost of other peoples illnesses.

Medical insurance is one of the few insurance products that does not take risk into account. I don't have to get a physical, take a test, or anything. If I am healthy, for instance, I pay the same rate in most plans as the guy next to me that smokes 2 packs a day, has high cholesterol and blood pressure and drinks bourbon by the gallon. I pay an averaged amount to cover his poor choices. that doesn't happen in auto, homeowners or life insurance. My risk determines my rate.

None of this changes the fact that I am fat but healthy and will likely remain that way to one extent or another and that fact may or may not affect my long term health in some manner, depending on who you listen too. Since getting a grant to study just about anything is apparently incredibly easy I suspect that many more will be done on this subject and I will likely ignore the ones I don't like and and make posts on forums about the ones I do so people can have stimulating discussions about things they know very little about but have still formed very strong opinions. Isn't this the 21st century version of sitting on your porch and complaining all day about the government?

flyfishnevada is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-21-2011, 10:58 PM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfishnevada View Post
Isn't this the 21st century version of sitting on your porch and complaining all day about the government?
I believe it is.
Old 08-21-2011, 11:15 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by pimpmyretirement View Post
They choose their build with their actions, even if it is not an intentional choice.
I don't agree. My parents eat the same, exercise the same and in general live the same. One of them is overweight and the other isn't. How did the heavier parent "choose" anything the slimmer one didn't?
kyounge1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 11:31 PM   #44
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
I am another woman who likes big men .If they are chubby or even bigger and have an English accent I'm head over heels .
Moe, you are tempting me, but I think I'll try to resist.

All that extra food would likely nauseate me.

Ha
Old 08-22-2011, 02:21 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
I am another woman who likes big men .If they are chubby or even bigger and have an English accent I'm head over heels .
Hey Moemg, there is no shortage of Well Nourished British lads here in Thailand. FYI

Lancelot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 03:39 AM   #46
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyounge1956 View Post
I don't agree. My parents eat the same, exercise the same and in general live the same. One of them is overweight and the other isn't. How did the heavier parent "choose" anything the slimmer one didn't?
It's impossible to say with so little information. A few possible scenarios:
They match portions and activity levels, but the wife has a smaller frame

The wife does the majority of the housework, getting daily activity the husband doesn't

The husband golfs, meanwhile the wife knits

The husband needs a soda with every meal, the wife drinks tea
500 calories a day is the difference between being a normal weight and 30-40lbs over weight. It doesn't take much of a lifestyle difference to create that.
pimpmyretirement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 04:02 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by pimpmyretirement View Post
It's impossible to say with so little information. A few possible scenarios:
They match portions and activity levels, but the wife has a smaller frame

The wife does the majority of the housework, getting daily activity the husband doesn't

The husband golfs, meanwhile the wife knits

The husband needs a soda with every meal, the wife drinks tea
500 calories a day is the difference between being a normal weight and 30-40lbs over weight. It doesn't take much of a lifestyle difference to create that.
I saw a UK TV show where they tracked a family who were all *huge* but claimed (approximately) to eat only lean chicken breast, green beans, and organic brown rice. They were secretly filmed as they went about their day. Every chance DW got (she was a mail carrier; I don't remember what DH did, but he was up to the same sort of thing), she was running into a store for a candy bar or bag of potato chips. She ate three or four 200-calories snacks per day. Total and utter denial.
BigNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 04:26 AM   #48
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigNick View Post
she was running into a store for a candy bar or bag of potato chips. She ate three or four 200-calories snacks per day. Total and utter denial.
On our compound in Riyadh there was one particular woman who was large......naah, she was huge........and who kept repeating that she ate very little.

On one occasion my late wife and a bunch of other women were over at her place, preparing for some function or other, and my wife, looking for something in the kitchen, opened up a cupboard......which was stuffed with boxes of Snickers bars....boxes of them.

I don't think the woman was deliberately lying.....rather she actually believed that she hardly ate.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 06:10 AM   #49
Recycles dryer sheets

Another way of looking at this, is being 40 pounds overweight allows for a safe consumption rate of 2 candy bars a day. That's over 700 candy bars a year. What a return on investment!
pimpmyretirement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 06:16 AM   #50
gone traveling

"Should All Obese People Lose Weight?"

Only the fat ones ...

I can say that; been there, done that ...
rescueme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 07:43 AM   #51
Give me a forum ...

What does Rich-In-Tampa always say: "Get skinny, and then get skinnier"............

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 08:17 AM   #52
Give me a forum ...

I guess I can't generate a whole bunch of angst one way or another over what other people *should* do. I keep to my own counsel, lose weight when I think I should, and eat what I think I should eat. I'm the only person I can truly influence.

My God, the effort it takes to pass judgement on other people's habits! Smokers, drinkers, overeaters, breeders, people with tattoos, big spenders, etc. I think I'll try to use my time to improve myself, as it probably has better returns than trying to get other people to improve themselves.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 08:36 AM   #53
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfishnevada View Post
I found this study interesting. As one of the healthy obese (fair physical fitness, low cholesterol, normal blood pressure, active, pretty good diet, etc.), I love these studies. I mean, I really improved my over the last decade and tried to exercise more, but I just have a heck of a time losing weight. When I see stuff like this, I wonder if dieting all the time just to see my weight jump right back to where my body seems to be comfortable is really necessary?
:
I used to find it extremely difficult to loose weight until I discovered that the simple calories in and calories out is not exactly how it works. The first thing you need to understand is that your body stores excess fat in order to take toxins out of your blood stream to protect you. If you remove toxins from your diet through juicing green leafy vegtables with carrot and apple for flavor, you will loose a bunch of weight.

My experience. I juice about 1 liter of fresh juice with 4 carrots 2 green apples and the rest kale, chard, spinach, celery and cucumber for breakfast. At lunch I do another one, and at dinner another and then a very light dinner after about 30 minutes. I lost 1lb a day without any exercise. My skin and face looks about 10 years younger and I no longer get daily headakes, knee pain, back pain etc.

If you are interested there are a bunch of videos on youtube about this as well as a ton of information on the internet. All you have to do is search for either Juice Feast or Juice Fasting.

On a true Juice Feast you wouldn't eat anything just take juices. I found that hard to do so I kept a small dinner. Salmon, Chicken and vegetables.

Since doing this I have cut out any food that comes from a box, can or is processed excessively. I do lean Salmon Chicken or a good cut of Beef but only about 8oz a day.
Old 08-22-2011, 08:52 AM   #54
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post

My God, the effort it takes to pass judgement on other people's habits! Smokers, drinkers, overeaters, breeders, people with tattoos, big spenders, etc. I think I'll try to use my time to improve myself, as it probably has better returns than trying to get other people to improve themselves.
Judging others is less rewarding but so much more fun. It's also way easier.
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 10:28 AM   #55
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Judging others is less rewarding but so much more fun. It's also way easier.
Yea, I hate people that judge others.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 10:57 AM   #56

Judging others is like a sport. Its half the reason I go to Wal-Mart.

flyfishnevada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 11:02 AM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetirementColdHardTruth View Post
I used to find it extremely difficult to loose weight until I discovered that the simple calories in and calories out is not exactly how it works.
Actually, it is true that weight loss is about calories in vs calories out. That's the way the universe works. Sorry. The fact that this concept is simple doesn't mean that losing weight is easy. I suspect that there are more healthy ways to lose weight and less healthy ways to reduce weight. For example: simply starving yourself is probably not a healthy way to lose weight. Reducing you net calorie intake with a balanced diet is more likely to be a healthy way to lose weight. It probably matters what weight you are starting from as well.

The weight issue is about both health and self esteem. From a health perspective it is simply a statistics game. Not everyone who is "overweight" is going to get sick or die early any more than is every smoker going to get sick or die early. People in our society have great difficulties in assessing risk. There may be additional factors besides BMI that correlate with health risks. You need to learn about the known risk statistics and make you own judgement about what you want to do. You may also want to look at how you make decisions based on risk.

On the other hand, your quality of life and your self image also matters. The best medical solution is not necessarily the best life solution. After all, you could easily lose weight by cutting off your arm. This doesn't seem like a good choice but then plenty of people staple their stomachs which is getting pretty darn close to losing a limb.

It is obvious that there is a subset of smokers and those with weight issues that find it impossible to surmount the physical and psychological barriers to changing their situation. You need to find some way to accept yourself in this world. Learn to like yourself and others will like you too.
martyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 11:02 AM   #58
Give me a forum ...

On Comedy Central a few years ago, there was a guy picking on obese people. He commented that: "Not all obses people should think they have to lose weight, on the fat ones"..........he got pretty good crowd response on that........

The only issue I have with people that are very overweight is at times their choice of dress. Shoehorning yourself into tight Spandex pants WILL get you noticed, but often NOT in the right way........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 11:24 AM   #59
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyp View Post
Actually, it is true that weight loss is about calories in vs calories out.
Technically yeah, but because of set-point I think it's fair to say, from a practical standpoint, for humans, weight loss is about being able to have control over one's reptilian brain or autonomic nervous system, which is similar to saying "all you have to do is be able to change your heart rate or body temperature like those monks that can dry wet cloths with their bodies while sitting in snow, or live encased in ice like David Blaine." It's technically possible but one can't expect any significant number of people to be able to do it.
a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 11:26 AM   #60
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
My God, the effort it takes to pass judgement on other people's habits! Smokers, drinkers, overeaters, breeders, people with tattoos, big spenders, etc.
I agree, but I don't think it's not a matter of choice. Give me a pill that will make me not judge someone who is smoking, tattooed, driving an overpriced gas guzzler, and drinking a 20 oz Pepsi, and I will take that pill.