Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Should I give blood again?
Old 02-04-2007, 08:51 PM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brat
John & Rich, as you may be able to see my response was emotional, not intellectual. For some the act of giving blood is not easy. To do that and be dismissed is very painful.
I wasn't criticizing you. I just know they are always looking for donors so I try to spread the word. I'm fortunate to have good veins so they never miss me and I've always been well treated. I'm sure if it I had a bad experience I wouldn't be so enthusiastic.
John Tuttle is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-04-2007, 09:15 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I donated blood a few days ago in the morning. A couple hours later, I'll played full court basketball for an hour. Later in the day, I had a terrible migraine that lasted about 36 hours. My worst headache in a long time. Maybe I'm getting old? Or maybe I shouldn't be playing basketball? Or both?
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 09:29 PM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL!
I donated blood a few days ago in the morning. A couple hours later, I'll played full court basketball for an hour. Later in the day, I had a terrible migraine that lasted about 36 hours. My worst headache in a long time. Maybe I'm getting old? Or maybe I shouldn't be playing basketball? Or both?
Or maybe you were already about a pint dehydrated when you hit the court, and never caught up again!

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 09:51 PM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I passed out more than once when I first started giving blood. I have low blood pressure and have been told that has something to do with it. I learned not to get up too soon or too quickly after I've given blood. I don't go in on an empty stomach, and I drink plenty of juice afterward. But I give blood regularly and don't have a problem today.
sgeeeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 07:49 AM   #25

Rich,

Many years ago I gave blood regularly. I am AB negative and there was always a shortage. In 1983 I had cancer. My oncologist told me to stop donating. I never started again. Can I begin donating again? Will they reject me due to the cancer history?

Grumpy
Old 02-05-2007, 08:15 AM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpy
Many years ago I gave blood regularly. I am AB negative and there was always a shortage. In 1983 I had cancer. My oncologist told me to stop donating. I never started again. Can I begin donating again? Will they reject me due to the cancer history?
Good question. I don't know the answer.

It would likely depend on the type of cancer and other details. You oncologist may have been concerned about anemia related to the treatment or the underlying disease back then, and now that you are a survivor without treatment, you may be eligible.

If you want, PM me a bit more detail and I'll see what I can find out. Otherwise, call the Red Cross locally to see what their policy is. I think it's awesome that you want to donate.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 08:20 AM   #27
Full time employment: Posting here.

Rich,
I once read that it was a good idea for men to give blood at least once every three years to get rid of excess iron.

Is there any truth to this?

Billy
RetireEarlyLifestyle.com

Old 02-05-2007, 08:36 AM   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy

I once read that it was a good idea for men to give blood at least once every three years to get rid of excess iron...Is there any truth to this?
There is a theory that iron can act as an oxidant, and it is also known that excess iron can lead to damage to the liver. pancreas, and other organs ("hemochromatosis"). The former is just an observation and its implications for aging and cancer risk are not really known. The latter is due to inheritied over-absorption of dietary iron intake and requires fancier treatment (including blood letting).

When you donate blood, your body very quickly regenerates it, calling on iron reserves in the bone marrow. Any mild deficit is quickly replaced from dietary sources, so donating blood would have little effect on the overall balance. I am not aware of any demonstrated benefit of blood donation in that context.

One place this hypothesis comes into play for me is that multiple vitamins sometimes contain iron. For women, this is not known to be a problem and, at least in premenopausal women with low iron intake, it's probably appropriate. Men, OTOH, rarely need extra iron other other than in certain illnesses.

So, for men who choose to take a multivitamin (including myself, though evidence is lacking), I recommend that you choose one without iron. These are often marketed in the "For Men" or "Men Over 50" categories.

Sorry for a long-winded answer to a good and simple question!

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Old 02-05-2007, 03:56 PM   #29

Thanks Rich,

For your indepth answer. It made sense to me. Thanks again

Billy
RetireEarlyLifestyle.com
Old 02-06-2007, 04:40 PM   #30

I've donated regularly for several years, and the only time I nearly passed out was when I went in on the spur of the moment, not having eaten a lot for breakfast and probably not hydrated enough. The staff told me that drinking plently of water in the 24 hrs ahead of time is the most important thing to do, especially because I am toward the low end of acceptable donors, weight-wise.

I've generally had a good experience with the staff where I went, although some were more expert at getting a good "stick" than others. I think experience has a lot to do with it.

WM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 06:00 PM   #31
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan

Quote:
Originally Posted by WM
I've donated regularly for several years, and the only time I nearly passed out was when I went in on the spur of the moment, not having eaten a lot for breakfast and probably not hydrated enough. The staff told me that drinking plently of water in the 24 hrs ahead of time is the most important thing to do, especially because I am toward the low end of acceptable donors, weight-wise.

I've generally had a good experience with the staff where I went, although some were more expert at getting a good "stick" than others. I think experience has a lot to do with it.
You can request a different or specific 'sticker'. I sometimes request an experienced one I've had before, as my veins 'roll' quite a bit
Old 02-07-2007, 12:57 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_in_Tampa
When you donate blood, your body very quickly regenerates it ...
I've always heard that. But I also know you can only give blood every
8 weeks or so, I think it is. These things seem contradictory.

So although you can clearly go back to normal life the next day, I wonder
if you're somehow slightly weaker for those 8 weeks (why else would there
be the waiting period ?) and might need to wait that long before doing
something extremely strenuous, like, say, hiking to the bottom of the
Grand Canyon.

Any thoughts, Rich ?

JohnEyles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 01:04 PM   #33
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyShackleford
I've always heard that. But I also know you can only give blood every
8 weeks or so, I think it is. These things seem contradictory.
It's a question of an isolated loss of iron which is quickly replaced by pre-existing iron storage (bone marrow mostly, the warehouse). The warehouse quickly restores the blood count, then leisurely replaces its own inventory over weeks depending on iron intake. Cumulatively making withdrawals from the warehouse can, in some cases, lead to iron deficiency and anemia.

The 8 week interval is longer than necessary for healthy males on a balanced diet. Healthy women who are menstruating can get anemic more quickly, as can anyone with chronic illness, or if you need surgery, are in an accident, etc. So they play it safe.

Make sense?

Old 02-07-2007, 01:39 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_in_Tampa
It's a question of an isolated loss of iron which is quickly replaced by pre-existing iron storage (bone marrow mostly, the warehouse). The warehouse quickly restores the blood count, then leisurely replaces its own inventory over weeks depending on iron intake. Cumulatively making withdrawals from the warehouse can, in some cases, lead to iron deficiency and anemia.

The 8 week interval is longer than necessary for healthy males on a balanced diet. Healthy women who are menstruating can get anemic more quickly, as can anyone with chronic illness, or if you need surgery, are in an accident, etc. So they play it safe.

Make sense?
Yes, thanks.

So you'd say, for a healthy male with half-decent diet, that full strength for
extremely strenuous exercise would be reached within a week or so ?

JohnEyles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 01:45 PM   #35
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyShackleford
So you'd say, for a healthy male with half-decent diet, that full strength for
extremely strenuous exercise would be reached within a week or so ?
I can't go there -- too many variables. You know the rest ... check with your own... etc.

Old 02-07-2007, 04:04 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladelfina
I feel badly because I've only given blood once, many years ago. I had a horrible experience like Brat's.. the woman kept gouging.. and gouging.. and gouging.. Couldn't fill the bag and I got brusquely ordered to "play some tennis and then come back." I still have a lentil-size scar.

For many years, even THINKing about giving blood gave me a recurrence of that sickening ache deep in my elbow and upper/underarm, and my stomach and throat would tighten up and start to hurt. By the time I'd gotten over this, I heard they weren't taking blood from those who'd spent more than 6 mo. overseas (me) due to mad cow disease, I believe. Not sure if this is still true in the US.

I was really surprised at how I was treated, and you can't really know who you'll be "comfortable" with until after the fact.. but I know I should grit my teeth and try again here in Italy. Errmm .. now my arm is aching..

I see that the law in Italy is that employees have the right to a day off with pay for giving blood. Also, it looks like they give you a series of blood tests first, before enrolling you in a donor program.. it's not exactly a spur-of-the-moment thing.
I've given blood a lot and have had "good sticks" and "bad sticks" -- there is some luck involved but there is also a lot of skill. If they gouged you and then blamed you for poor flow I would bet that they were defending their own ineptitude.

The American Red Cross, at least recently, screened for mad cow. Not sure what the details are, but it's something like if you spent X months in any of these mad cow countries since 19XX, you can't give.

2Cor521
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 04:06 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpy
Rich,

Grumpy
The American Red Cross, at least recently, would reject you for any cancer except "skin cancer in situ", I think.

2Cor521
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 06:55 PM   #38

I could not give blood for many years because I did not weigh enough. I thought that it was pretty neat that I could give blood, when I finally did weigh enough. My blood pressure also runs low. The first time I gave blood, the nurse took one look at me and asked me why I did not say anything. She told me that I looked liked I was going to pass out. I was laying down. The second time, the nurse turned around and told me that I looked green and she stopped it. Both times they told me that they had enough that it could be used, but the second time the nurse told me that I had better think twice about donating again. Those were the only 2 times that I donated blood.
Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 09:44 AM   #39
Recycles dryer sheets

Maybe those old barbers were on to something. This article says giving blood may have some healthful affects.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20070214/...tting_heart_dc
John Tuttle is offline   Reply With Quote