Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 08-01-2007, 11:19 AM   #141
Moderator Emeritus

I remember in grade school we were reading out loud and a kid had to read the word "cipher." He pronounced it "chipper." Hence his nickname for the rest of his life.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-01-2007, 11:21 AM   #142
Moderator Emeritus

I think part of the illegal alien confusion may possibly come from lumping all non-citizens together. Some get confused and suddenly they are all illegal.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Old 08-01-2007, 12:08 PM   #143
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic23 View Post
I’m going to go out on the limb and say that a UH system will look like Medicare/Medicaid. Every citizen will pay monthly for Part B, a Part D drug plan will exist. Those below the poverty level or some other set family income, will have their premiums waved or rebated. Part B, may be administered by current insurance companies. In fact, Part B may be like Part D. You sign up with your provider of choice, and that provider gets your monthly premium. The provider’s compete for your business. Supplemental policies will exist to pay what UH does not pay, and the rich will be able to buy services that UH does not cover.
I think you are right on this one....and that's what scares me a bit, because at the current taxation rate, we can barely afford Medicare as it is AND doctors are way under-reimbursed by Medicare too (approx 25 cents on the dollar). Not sure how much more we'd need to be taxed to make it work, but I think it will be a LOT. That's why I'd rather see the "Medicare" plan be a limited benefit or high deductible plan, because I think that's the only way we could make it affordable for the whole country.

By the same token, I would say that a great employee benefit package would be for employers to be able to open up Health Reimbursement Arrangements that people could use, on a tax deductible basis, to pay for "Part B", "Part D", or supplemental insurance premiums as well as out of pocket costs - by their own preference. Just the same as with Medicare supplements, the supplemental insurance would have a short, guaranteed open enrollment period, and if people didn't enroll when they had the opportunity, then it would be medically underwritten after that.
Old 08-01-2007, 12:21 PM   #144
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Health care systems - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Universal health care - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Actual data rather than self serving guesses, attributions to actual sources, compromise content and studies done by organizations more credible than martian nazi's intent on overthrowing the federal government.

Even a lot of pretty pictures and graphs for people who arent into heavy reading.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 08-01-2007, 12:31 PM   #145
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Medicare is in trouble partly because of the numbers of the aging population it is designed to care for. While Medicare part B is currently about $90 a month per person, the new system could draw a similar amount from employers to what they are paying now. Earlier in this thread numbers close to $500 per person and $1,500 per family. So there is some room to play with. As younger people have fewer serious illness than older, you are back to a situation similar to SS, only the younger payers would get healthcare benefits. Another factor would be to look at the type of care covered. Would the system bankrupt the country if it covered catastrophic care, and certain preventative care. Not being in the medical field I don’t know where you would draw the line. However, it seems many on this board pay for what would be called doctors visits, but carry policies that protects them from having to go back to work due to a huge medical bill.
Old 08-01-2007, 12:35 PM   #146

I am not sure I take Wikipedia data as gospel. I have had little dealings with Wikipedia. From what I understand, anyone can post to Wikipedia, and, in the past some of the data and commentaries there have been somewhat less that truthful. Still, thanks for the links. It will take me awhile to read through them.
Old 08-01-2007, 01:16 PM   #147
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic23 View Post
Medicare is in trouble partly because of the numbers of the aging population it is designed to care for. While Medicare part B is currently about $90 a month per person, the new system could draw a similar amount from employers to what they are paying now. Earlier in this thread numbers close to $500 per person and $1,500 per family. So there is some room to play with. As younger people have fewer serious illness than older, you are back to a situation similar to SS, only the younger payers would get healthcare benefits. Another factor would be to look at the type of care covered. Would the system bankrupt the country if it covered catastrophic care, and certain preventative care. Not being in the medical field I donít know where you would draw the line. However, it seems many on this board pay for what would be called doctors visits, but carry policies that protects them from having to go back to work due to a huge medical bill.
Rustic,

When I sell health insurance, it's always the plans with unlimited office visits and prescription drug copays that cost so much. The major medical, catastrophic plans are much, much less expensive. If America could somehow figure out how to pay for the catastrophies and encourage people to save for the more affordable, less risky, deductible expenses or obtain those benefits through employment, we might have some success with a universal plan.

I've done a lot of reading on prescription drugs and why they are so much more expensive in America. Part of the reason (aside from profits), is that America subsidizes the cost of drugs that are sold to poorer nations at a much cheaper price. Drug companies "separate markets" in that way for a couple of reasons: 1.) If they didn't, the poor nations would not be able to afford good drugs, and that would have a very negative impact on the overall health of people in other countries...(which would be bad for America, because it is in our interest to help prevent the spread of disease and help keep other nations healthy)...and 2.) Because they know America is willing to pay the higher prices and that they can make up for lost income here.

I don't think there's going to be a lot we can do to get drug costs down, other than to price control here, and if we do that, we are going to hurt millions of people in other nations, too, because manufacturers will have to sell at higher prices to those nations, and then those countries will have to limit their purchases even further due to their own gov't controls.
Old 08-01-2007, 01:30 PM   #148

This horse is dead too.