Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-01-2013, 03:04 PM   #41
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
For what it's worth, ex-Megacorp just sent me an annual COBRA open enrollment packet in case I wanted to sign up for anything in early November.

The HSA-eligible plan I used to have (roughly Silver level coverage) would be $387/mo for me only, and would be $1,046 for DW and me. (Why I cost $387 and it would cost $659 to add her is beyond me, since I'm no longer subsidized and she's three years younger.) A Gold-level PPO would cost $1,567 per month for both of us. Ouch! (Needless to say, I'm not doing any of this.)
Just received my COBRA open enrollment packet as well. Though I expect to drop my COBRA coverage, and assume the exchanges will let me enroll in time for January 1st coverage.

However I think I understand why your DW costs more. Under COBRA they have to charge you basically what your still working colleagues cost them, so your $387/mo reflects the costs of someone healthy enough to work. Your DW's $659 reflects ex-Megacorp's cost of ensuring not just healthy spouses, but also the percentage of employee spouses who don't have their own employer provided insurance because they are too sick to work.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-01-2013, 03:35 PM   #42
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
There must be huge discrepancies between states.
Definitely! In my state on the exchange we can chose Anthem (aka BlueCross/BlueShield) state specific plans, or what appear to be Anthem administered "multi-state" plans.

Anthem caused a lot of controversy this year by creating a new much more restricted network of providers for their exchange plans. As far as I can tell, all the Anthem exchange plans only provide out-of-network coverage in an emergency.

Anthem is "still updating their provider network" so I don't know yet if my existing doctors are covered. Fortunately, when I started work for my final employer fifteen years ago United Healthcare who managed Megacorp's health insurance was dropping one of the two local hospitals. They added the expensive hospital back a year later, but by then I had picked doctors associated with the "cheaper" hospital. For 2014 the media reports Anthem is dropping the same "expensive" hospital from their exchange plans. Some things never seem to change.

Old 11-03-2013, 01:42 PM   #43
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I finally received my notice from BCBS of MS concerning my annual renewal. I too will not be able to keep my policy beyond 2014, but at least I will be able to keep it through 12/31/2014. Giving me plenty of time to transition over to something else. Maybe the exchange will have other insurers participating by then. Only one now. Below is an excerpt from my notice.

The healthcare reform law, known as the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (PPACA), will require new taxes and fees, new benefits and new rating rules that will have a significant impact on premium costs beginning January 1, 2014.
As we recently notified you, we have made a change to your benefit plan to minimize the premium impact of the January 1, 2014 PPACA requirements. Your Renewal Date and Plan Year are now December 31, 2013, and your renewal period will continue until December 31, 2014. By making this change, we are minimizing some of the components of the law’s impact on your premiums in 2014, such as delaying the following until January 1, 2015:
Impact of new rating rules,
PPACA maximum out-of-pocket, and
Expansion of additional benefits, including Essential Health Benefits.

My premium increased by $20/mo. I will just stay put and deal with this at the end of next year.
Old 11-03-2013, 03:00 PM   #44
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
I finally received my notice from BCBS of MS concerning my annual renewal. I too will not be able to keep my policy beyond 2014, but at least I will be able to keep it through 12/31/2014. Giving me plenty of time to transition over to something else.
I received the same notice from Aetna for my current HD/HSA plan. When I look at the new ACA plans offered by Aetna the ACA plan most similar to what I currently have cost 70% more than my current Aetna plan. From what I can see there is very little difference in benefits between the two, the ACA plan actually has a higher out of pocket yearly limit.
Old 11-04-2013, 09:50 AM   #45
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinger1457 View Post

I received the same notice from Aetna for my current HD/HSA plan. When I look at the new ACA plans offered by Aetna the ACA plan most similar to what I currently have cost 70% more than my current Aetna plan. From what I can see there is very little difference in benefits between the two, the ACA plan actually has a higher out of pocket yearly limit.
This is the part that burns me the most. I wish the government leaders would just be honest and say there are going to be winners and losers in this law and I will accept that. Instead they want to dismiss the uproar by saying the law is saving us from being in crap plans that weren't worth having. My "crap plan" has an $800 lower deductible and is 3 times cheaper than what I will have to pay after my one year reprieve is over.
Old 11-04-2013, 11:18 AM   #46
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
This is the part that burns me the most. I wish the government leaders would just be honest and say there are going to be winners and losers in this law and I will accept that. Instead they want to dismiss the uproar by saying the law is saving us from being in crap plans that weren't worth having. My "crap plan" has an $800 lower deductible and is 3 times cheaper than what I will have to pay after my one year reprieve is over.

I did see someone from the White House say that this weekend.... (well, nos sure as I cannot remember where and when I heard it).... but I think they are changing their tone a bit....
Old 11-04-2013, 11:43 AM   #47
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post

I did see someone from the White House say that this weekend.... (well, nos sure as I cannot remember where and when I heard it).... but I think they are changing their tone a bit....
The funny thing about all this is, this whole thing is not a surprise. On this forum we all pretty much knew how the process was going to play out. And the rules clearly were written 3 years ago that anyone who bought insurance after March 2010, would not be grandfathered, but now it's a surprise. Maybe a lot of journalists have individual health plans and are getting dinged in the wallet and they are not happy about it.
Old 11-04-2013, 12:15 PM   #48
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
The funny thing about all this is, this whole thing is not a surprise. On this forum we all pretty much knew how the process was going to play out. And the rules clearly were written 3 years ago that anyone who bought insurance after March 2010, would not be grandfathered, but now it's a surprise. Maybe a lot of journalists have individual health plans and are getting dinged in the wallet and they are not happy about it.
Obviously proponents put the most positive spin on the rollout, whereas opponents do the opposite...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote