Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-19-2012, 11:32 PM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

So simple. I've always been able to do this, never thought about it. Do it quite often. Also useful for getting up/down when you have something in your hands. Never would have thought that it is a challenge for many.

I wonder if there is a physical design factor involved in the ease of doing this - The length from heel to middle of knee, versus the length from middle of knee to butt structure. It is harder for me to do it the thicker heels on shoes are. Work boots with a heel makes me feel like I am throwing myself forward, whereas doing it in socks is easy and graceful.

For the same height, we can be proportioned differently.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-20-2012, 12:07 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
So, I am suggesting that probably this test is too simplistic to be of much use.
Possibly...but the fact that it may not be relevant to an individual person doesn't mean that it might not be accurate to the group of people and it may suggest that things like strength, balance, and flexibility and whether you have them or don't have them says something about overall health.

That said, I think more research would need to be done to find out just how useful this really is.

Old 12-20-2012, 12:56 PM   #43
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I do NOT consider myself to be in good shape, I just hate to exercise, but this seemed very easy for me... until I realized that rolling on your knees to get up was a no-no (I thought they just meant pushing a hand against knee/floor).

I could not do it like the young lady (but I'm not a lady, nor
young). But it was pretty easy for me to cross feet, and get down, and to rock forward on crossed feet to get up (like the guy in the other video). Kind of like a scissors jack. After watching the scoring video, and a little practice, I think I score a 5 on each.

Though I have been doing some stretches for my back, went to PT for 12 visits (I should update the back pain thread I posted to), so maybe my legs and core are a bit better than they were 2 months ago

Guess I can't up my SWR?

-ERD50
Old 12-20-2012, 01:24 PM   #44
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
I could not do it like the young lady (but I'm not a lady, nor young). But it was pretty easy for me to cross feet, and get down, and to rock forward on crossed feet to get up (like the guy in the other video). Kind of like a scissors jack. After watching the scoring video, and a little practice, I think I score a 5 on each...

Guess I can't up my SWR?

-ERD50
Nope! We are doomed to a low WR.

I watched the 2 videos carefully, and discovered that I had to cross my feet like the guy in the 2nd video. That was said to be OK. And with some practice, I was able to stand up without wobbling (OK, I had to do it on an empty stomach, not after a big dinner). I want to see my wife do it again, to see if she has to cross her feet.

I am glad many posters here could do the same, even in their 5th or 6th decade, so that I have some people here to hang around with, after the others are gone.
Old 12-20-2012, 02:40 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
I wonder if living in a house with lots of stairs makes a difference
Last October 12 I did 7,375 stairs in one session......but, with bone-on-bone osteoarthritis in both knees, there's no way I can do this.......but my lady did it relatively easily, before watching the vid.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 04:22 PM   #46
Give me a forum ...

Well, I guess I need to get out and lose some weight....

I scored a 4.5/3.5... which seemed to be OK.... but not what I would like...

I think that my mom would score low, but she is 93... and a sister had a muscle disorder which puts here down to 0... hope she is OK...
Old 12-20-2012, 04:30 PM   #47
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
Well, I guess I need to get out and lose some weight....

I scored a 4.5/3.5... which seemed to be OK.... but not what I would like...

I think that my mom would score low, but she is 93... and a sister had a muscle disorder which puts here down to 0... hope she is OK...
Here's the thing. I don't think this is such a great test of health. But what may be important is knowing someone who lives alone can't get up if they fall. I worry about my mom that way. Yeah, we all see those ads on TV. "I've fallen and I can't get up". But if someone who lives alone can't get up after a fall, might be time to look into something to protect them.
Old 12-20-2012, 04:46 PM   #48
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purron View Post
Here's the thing. I don't think this is such a great test of health.
No? And here I am, about to suggest to Andy to add a feature to FIRECalc to allow entry of the TSL score to automatically set the WR calculation to a person's expected longevity.

PS. Just joking. As always most of the time.

PPS. Seriously, I observed that my FIL had problems just getting up from a dining chair. Within a year, he fell and broke his hip. That was 4-5 years ago. He is in a nursing home now, has lost all mobility, and cannot even bend his arm to feed himself with a spoon. He is in his early 90s.
Old 12-20-2012, 05:47 PM   #49
Give me a forum ...

The Economist had a piece about longevity this week, and they used the line "80 is the new 70."
Old 12-20-2012, 05:49 PM   #50

Here's a device to give a little assist to those needing help with this test.

The Human Hoist - The Ultimate Powered Shop Chair
Old 12-20-2012, 07:26 PM   #51
Give me a forum ...

Neat machine, but I do not see my FIL zipping around the nursing home on a powered chair like that.

And being the cautious and pessimistic guy that I am, I cringed when I watched the demonstrator zooming up/down and zipping in/out under that car. I could imagine a user not having enough clearance under the car, and gouging his eyes out with a bolt protruding from the car bottom.
Old 12-20-2012, 07:35 PM   #52

Both of my knees have had the ACLs reconstructed and looking at the lateral stresses that are placed on the knees in these videos, I would not even attempt it. As for my health, well, I still get tested every year on my fitness for the Reserves and am usually getting and excellent, so I won't sweat it so much. I think the key is to keep moving as much as possible for cardiovascular conditioning, weight lift or stress the bones and muscles to keep them growing and stretch for flexibility and grace.
Old 12-21-2012, 09:39 AM   #53
Full time employment: Posting here.

I tried this last night at the gym in their aerobics room with mirrors everywhere so I could watch myself doing this and went down and back up on my first try with no issues other than probably being a bit too wobbly to score a perfect 10. I really expected to have to make multiple attempts, practice, etc.

I am mid-40's with no known major health issues; so, I probably have a very low chance of dying in the next six years anyway. But, this made me feel oddly better anyway.
CoolChange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 10:02 AM   #54
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by RE2Boys View Post
Tried it, quite easy. But 20 years ago, I was running marathons & doing backpack trips. Now 63.
Impressive. I hope to be in the same shape in 20 years!
Old 12-21-2012, 10:31 AM   #55
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by deserat View Post
Both of my knees have had the ACLs reconstructed and looking at the lateral stresses that are placed on the knees in these videos, I would not even attempt it. As for my health, well, I still get tested every year on my fitness for the Reserves and am usually getting and excellent, so I won't sweat it so much. I think the key is to keep moving as much as possible for cardiovascular conditioning, weight lift or stress the bones and muscles to keep them growing and stretch for flexibility and grace.
Yes, I suppose this test is meaningful when applied to large numbers, but then again, just about any measure of physical ability could provide that.

But I think it is near meaningless to try to apply the number to an individual. As you say, any specific problem in the knees would have a huge impact on ability to perform this test. DW goes to the Y a couple times a week, I showed her and she said she wouldn't even attempt it. But I expect her to outlive me. Esp if I don't get out of here and finish my Christmas shopping!

-ERD50
Old 12-21-2012, 10:41 AM   #56
Give me a forum ...

Heck, the stress of Xmas shopping will have an impact on your longevity already.

No Xmas shopping here, except for consumables like food and booze, as we will host a Xmas Day party and possibly a New Year one too.
Old 12-21-2012, 02:46 PM   #57

Every year I take and pass the Arduous, Pack Test, 3-mile hike with 45-pound pack in 45 min. This is the fitness level test required for Hot Shot and Smokejumper Firefighters. Well I must have tree trunks for legs instead of the slim, long muscles of others. Getting down was OK getting up I one handed it.
Old 12-21-2012, 02:48 PM   #58
Recycles dryer sheets

I used to easily do the crossed leg method all the time but I have found a little extra forward and aft ballast so it's a bit more difficult. Watch this at the 2:00 and 3:00 minute marks. These young ladies have it figured out. http://sorisomail.com/flv/videos/268/34321.mp4
Old 12-21-2012, 02:52 PM   #59

I'm curious if anyone who has had a knee or hip replacement would even attempt this?
Old 12-21-2012, 03:11 PM   #60
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim747 View Post
I used to easily do the crossed leg method all the time but I have found a little extra forward and aft ballast so it's a bit more difficult.
Me, too.
But I can easily stand straight up from a kneeling position with no hands. That seems to amaze some of my friends.