Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-21-2012, 02:33 PM   #61
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Me, too.
But I can easily stand straight up from a kneeling position with no hands. That seems to amaze some of my friends.
They recently added the option to upload videos here at er.org. I'm ready to be amazed Oh, bonus points if you can do this holding a brewski in each hand without spilling a drop.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-22-2012, 10:06 AM   #62
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeTravis View Post
I can squat over 400lbs, breaking parallel with free weights. I can leg press almost 800lbs.

I just watched both videos and tried it again. I hit the floor so hard on the way down my butt hurts.

No way I could get up without using a hand.
+1, LOL same with me. Seems to be more a test of flexibility and probably easier if you are not carrying too much bulk.
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 11:22 AM   #63
Administrator

Since drinking a glass of red wine each day is also good for longevity, can you get even better longevity if you do this test while drinking a glass without spilling it?
Old 12-22-2012, 02:55 PM   #64
Full time employment: Posting here.

I am still on the floor waiting for some help getting up
oldtrig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 04:48 PM   #65
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrig View Post
You really need this.

http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...nts-64160.html
Old 12-22-2012, 05:09 PM   #66
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrig View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by grasshopper View Post
Obviously, you were able to crawl to the laptop or PC to make a post. Nah, you don't need no stinkin' emergency pendant.
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 05:30 PM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
I can sit down gently into a cross-legged position - no problem. I automatically did it that way. Standing back up - almost!
Yep, same here Audrey. I've been able to get up a couple times without touching a hand to the floor, but I clearly wobble/stagger (badly), so that is a half point deduction. My wife can do this with no deductions (and she is gloating about that now)........dang, I gotta keep working on this!
RAE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 07:55 PM   #68
Give me a forum ...

I felt really good when I passed the test. Then, today, I refrained from posting during the day, so that I could go out to do some yard maintenance work. At the end of the day, I stood back, looked at what I achieved and I did not feel proud at all. I accomplished perhaps 1/4 of what I was able to 20 years ago. OK, 20 years is a long time, but I am not even 60.

I feel tired now, and not sure if I can watch that DVD movie I intended to. It may be time for nite-nite. And tomorrow, I will contemplate upping my WR to 4%. There's no point in leaving my children too much, as it would just spoil them.
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 10:24 PM   #69
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Apparently it helps to be under age 20...
Quote:
Originally Posted by deserat View Post
Both of my knees have had the ACLs reconstructed and looking at the lateral stresses that are placed on the knees in these videos, I would not even attempt it.
Yeah, I'm pretty sure that cute young thing in the video has two ACLs too.

We learn a variety of taekwondo techniques for getting up off the floor in a hurry, usually involving self-defense. However they all use at least two points of contact to lever yourself up (and out of striking range). I'm not convinced that the researchers in this thread have discovered anything more than a high degree of correlation with minimal causation.

Perhaps we should re-do the test to see how quickly we could get the researchers down on the floor with us. Then I bet they'd be willing to revise their longevity projections...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 06:54 PM   #70

Any score in the 8-10 range puts one in the low risk category so even if you have to use one hand to get down and up you're doing better than most.

Quote:
If a middle-aged or older man or woman can sit and rise from the floor using just one hand - or even better without the help of a hand - they are not only in the higher quartile of musculo-skeletal fitness but their survival prognosis is probably better than that of those unable to do so.
zinger1457 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 05:56 AM   #71
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Me, too.
But I can easily stand straight up from a kneeling position with no hands. That seems to amaze some of my friends.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purron View Post
They recently added the option to upload videos here at er.org. I'm ready to be amazed Oh, bonus points if you can do this holding a brewski in each hand without spilling a drop.
I have a hard time with the regular version of the test. I can barely make it up with my feet crossed but it isn't pretty. But I tried it from kneeling and had no problem. I think I could even do it with the brewskis as long as I didn't top them up. Oh, and Merry Christmas.