Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-19-2012, 05:50 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

My cats do this easily. Even the really old one.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-19-2012, 05:51 PM   #22
Full time employment: Posting here.

My wife did it quite easily but I needed one hand to get up.

Sayonara cruel world!
Old 12-19-2012, 06:23 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I was able to do it 1 time after watching my 24 DD and 25 D-SIL do it. I came back upstairs and I am having trouble getting back up without using anything. Also, had my DH try it. It was not pretty. I certainly hope that I am not widowed within the next 6 1/2 yrs.
Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 06:27 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
The video seems to say that one can learn how to do this, so I don't get that it could predict longevity (unless it would help prevent falls or not being able to rise from one to get help for a fall-related injury?).
I don't think the relationship of mortality and this test is a direct one. That is, the test is basically measuring things like strength and balance and I suspect that people of similar age who are stronger and have better balance probably have better longevity than those who lack such strength and balance. That is, some of the things that cause lack of strength and balance (being sedentary, existing illness, etc.) are also things that cause increased risk of mortality.
Katsmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 06:31 PM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

My heavens. Did it.

Down is easy. Watched video for up. Used sides of feet to push off in a semi circle spinning me around and ending counched up over ankles. Then straight up from there. Wasn't elegant and wobbled getting to ankle position. So 9.5?

Exhausted. Back to couch.
EveryLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 06:44 PM   #26
Administrator

I'm guessing that it is a good measure of strength in your legs to be able to slowly sit all the way down and back up. A Doc once told me that your legs are your 2nd heart, in that as your arteries become less elastic and unable to expand and then contract fully as the heart beats, then the heart has to work so much harder to get the blood to those extremities.

Squats and such exercises as "intense pose" in yoga are excellent for strengthening the legs. However, I can't even sit properly in a cross-leg position, let alone get off my butt as shown the demo video.
Old 12-19-2012, 06:50 PM   #27
gone traveling

I can squat over 400lbs, breaking parallel with free weights. I can leg press almost 800lbs.

I just watched both videos and tried it again. I hit the floor so hard on the way down my butt hurts.

No way I could get up without using a hand.
LakeTravis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 07:00 PM   #28
Full time employment: Posting here.

I thought that was the test for ALS?

I'm quite sure that finding any task that most 76-80 year olds can't do would also indicate that most won't live another 6 1/2 years - because, well, they're 76-80 yrs old.
tinlizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 07:01 PM   #29

I have always been naturally flexible and can get down and up without using hands or objects for support. I sit on the floor alot, so that also may help. I really think it has more to do with flexibility than anything else, not so much health.
Ally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 07:08 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinlizzy View Post
I'm quite sure that finding any task that most 76-80 year olds can't do would also indicate that most won't live another 6 1/2 years - because, well, they're 76-80 yrs old.
+1

The article says that people who fail the test are 6.5 times more likely to die. But this isn't very useful information if it's correlated with obvious factors that a physician can see at a glance like age or BMI etc. I'm guessing that people who are 80 (at the top of the range) are probably 10x more likely die on average than people at 50 (at the bottom of the age range).
photoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 07:48 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoguy View Post
+1

The article says that people who fail the test are 6.5 times more likely to die. But this isn't very useful information if it's correlated with obvious factors that a physician can see at a glance like age or BMI etc. I'm guessing that people who are 80 (at the top of the range) are probably 10x more likely die on average than people at 50 (at the bottom of the age range).
Sure, but I don't think that is the point. Is someone who is 70 and scores a 0-3 much more likely to die than someone who is 70 and scores 8-10?

Is someone who is 55 and scores 0-3 much more likely to die than someone who is 55 and scores 8-10?

I would guess the answer to both questions is yes.
Old 12-19-2012, 08:01 PM   #32
Moderator Emeritus

I'm a goner! Or so says the test.

But actually I *did* see my doctor today, and although he wants me to lose weight, overall he is pleased with my labwork and health in general.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 08:03 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

So when I tried it the first time I used one knee and one hand because that is the way I have done it my entire life, I am not going to live as long. But after figuring out how do it 30 minutes later by video without knee or hand assistance I am suddenly more healthy? I think it's a trick test to measure my intelligence from which I failed and had to use a video to cheat to pass.
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 08:14 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsmeow View Post
Sure, but I don't think that is the point. Is someone who is 70 and scores a 0-3 much more likely to die than someone who is 70 and scores 8-10?

Is someone who is 55 and scores 0-3 much more likely to die than someone who is 55 and scores 8-10?

I would guess the answer to both questions is yes.
We actually don't know the answers to these questions because the linked to articles doesn't break it out.

The question in my mind is how much of the person's frailty / mobility / health issues are obvious to the physician upon the patient walking in the door or with a cursory glance at their health history. I had listed age and BMI but other health issues may also be clear at a glance. My father in-law wouldn't be able to pass the test but you can tell just by how he walks that he isn't doing well.

It's only a useful test if it provides additional predictive power (or is cheaper to administer) and it's not clear that it does.
photoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 08:15 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
So when I tried it the first time I used one knee and one hand because that is the way I have done it my entire life, I am not going to live as long. But after figuring out how do it 30 minutes later by video without knee or hand assistance I am suddenly more healthy? I think it's a trick test to measure my intelligence from which I failed and had to use a video to cheat to pass.
From looking at the video and what I read I have the idea that as part of doing this they "teach" people how to do it (the crossing the feet). If someone can learn that method and they do it then obviously that score would be correct. However, if someone is taught the method and still can't do it then the lower score would seem to be correct.
Old 12-19-2012, 08:28 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Clearly yoga helps. And from the article, a lot of things they mention (like flexibility and balance to pick up dropped objects). I can sit down gently into a cross-legged position - no problem. I automatically did it that way. Standing back up - almost!

Have to keep up with that yoga!
Old 12-19-2012, 08:33 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ally View Post
I have always been naturally flexible and can get down and up without using hands or objects for support. I sit on the floor alot, so that also may help. I really think it has more to do with flexibility than anything else, not so much health.
Maybe flexibility is a key component of health as you age? Or more specifically, greater flexibility may help prevent injuries or falling which can lead to a downward health spiral in older adults.
Old 12-19-2012, 09:01 PM   #38

Tried it, quite easy. But 20 years ago, I was running marathons & doing backpack trips. Now 63.

Now if only my right knee wouldn't ache when I run or my Achilles tendonitis wouldn't ache most of the time!
RE2Boys is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 09:08 PM   #39
Moderator Emeritus

Now that I think of it, my mother (who died at 98) could never have passed this test. She had a trick knee due to an old college basketball injury, and needed a helping hand to get up easily from the floor.

However, once she was up, she was very athletic and active. She walked at least 5 miles a day until she was 70 or older, loved swimming and tennis, and was always active around the house doing something or other all the time. When she was in assisted living she went to the on-site gym regularly.

So, I am suggesting that probably this test is too simplistic to be of much use.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 09:29 PM   #40
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm not gonna try - might throw my back out!
WestLake is offline   Reply With Quote