Join Early Retirement Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Single Payer Healthcare in CO???
Old 08-24-2007, 10:32 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 359
Single Payer Healthcare in CO???

It sure would be interesting to see a "conservative" state like CO adopt a single payer plan when even the died-in-the-wool blue states like CA and MA aren't headed that way...

All CO has to do is vote in a new program that's bigger than the entire existing state budget.

$26 billion tab to provide health insurance to all Coloradans, panel says | Politics West
__________________

__________________
FinanceGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-24-2007, 01:07 PM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 844
A little misleading isn't it? If you read the article it *already* costs $30B to provide healthcare to just those that already have it in CO; so $26B is a $4B savings from what is already spent - its not $30B in new spending.
__________________

__________________
farmerEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 02:06 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 359
I think the point is, the proposal is to transfer the responsibility of paying for health care from today's mixed public/private model to 100% government. In practice, it doesn't seem that government has a wonderful track record of doing ANYTHING cheaper than the private sector, and I cannot imagine that a small state like CO has anywhere near enough population to spread out the fixed costs of administering such a program efficiently. Its interesting that CO would head this way after even MA, CA, and OR decided not to.

If I lived anywhere near CO and lacked health insurance, I'd be planning some (ahem) ski trips to CO to get "free" healthcare if such a system actually became law, and if I lived in CO and was happy with my health insurance, I'd be starting to investigate other places to live before skyrocketing taxes and long wait times (and other forms of rationing) become a way of life.

As it stands now, I have heard that the Denver area has many high end hospitals and specialists who attract patients from all over the region, wonder if they will be happy to continue operating at the reimbursement rates that the new system will provide?
__________________
FinanceGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 06:52 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
maddythebeagle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 2,450
Oh, great another diatribe...
__________________
- Hurry! to the cliffs of insanity!
maddythebeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 10:29 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceGeek View Post
I think the point is, the proposal is to transfer the responsibility of paying for health care from today's mixed public/private model to 100% government. In practice, it doesn't seem that government has a wonderful track record of doing ANYTHING cheaper than the private sector, and I cannot imagine that a small state like CO has anywhere near enough population to spread out the fixed costs of administering such a program efficiently. Its interesting that CO would head this way after even MA, CA, and OR decided not to.

If I lived anywhere near CO and lacked health insurance, I'd be planning some (ahem) ski trips to CO to get "free" healthcare if such a system actually became law, and if I lived in CO and was happy with my health insurance, I'd be starting to investigate other places to live before skyrocketing taxes and long wait times (and other forms of rationing) become a way of life.

As it stands now, I have heard that the Denver area has many high end hospitals and specialists who attract patients from all over the region, wonder if they will be happy to continue operating at the reimbursement rates that the new system will provide?
I guess you think over paid CEOs running for profit insurance companies have your best health interest in their wallet.
__________________
Freein05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 05:55 AM   #6
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 844
Yea, we all know what a great job the private sector is doing running the system now - highest cost per capita in the world, and low life expectancies compared to other industrialized countries.
__________________
farmerEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 02:39 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 359
Quote:
Originally Posted by farmerEd View Post
Yea, we all know what a great job the private sector is doing running the system now - highest cost per capita in the world, and low life expectancies compared to other industrialized countries.
Actually for many people the US health care system works great. I'd rather see reforms that "pull up" those that lack coverage now as opposed to ones that "pull down" those that are doing fine under the present system.
__________________
FinanceGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 03:44 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 137
You must not be keeping up with the health care insurance news. One of the reasons US companies are not competitive in the world economy (Japan and Europe) is the cost of employer paid health care. I assume your employer pays most of the cost of your health care insurance.

We have the most costly health care system in the world. If it did not cost so much you might even earn more money. when we worked our part of the health care costs was about $250 since we retired it (COBRA) it is almost $1,000. So do not think you are not paying for a broken health care system.
__________________
Freein05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 07:12 PM   #9
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
maddythebeagle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 2,450
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceGeek View Post
Actually for many people the US health care system works great. I'd rather see reforms that "pull up" those that lack coverage now as opposed to ones that "pull down" those that are doing fine under the present system.
Many people=the people that havent been sick yet and thus not using the system
__________________

__________________
- Hurry! to the cliffs of insanity!
maddythebeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The REAL Cost of Healthcare Premium Caps ScaredtoQuit FIRE and Money 25 06-18-2007 08:46 PM
Single ERers nun Young Dreamers 67 04-02-2007 04:07 PM
Healthcare costs moretolife FIRE and Money 2 11-28-2005 04:13 PM
Natural Limits to Healthcare Expense Growth? haha FIRE and Money 84 06-11-2005 06:59 PM
America can afford to spend more on healthcare?!? Nords FIRE and Money 23 10-13-2004 07:07 PM

 

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:02 AM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.