Join Early Retirement Today

Skin Care
Old 06-01-2015, 10:14 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Skin Care

A couple years ago I went to my derm because I was itching. He pointed out clear marks of scratching on my side, but I denied scratching, He likely though I was a damn liar or crazy. I think I was scratching in my sleep. He told me it was eczema, and gave me a cortisone ointment and told me to get this expensive tube of moisturizer called Amlactin .

Moisturizing is no miracle cure, but it does help. (I use only the moisturizer now.). I switched to Cetaphil, which I remember seeing at my parents place. This is somewhat cheaper, and like the Amlactin has no smell. It is also a bit easier to apply than Amlactin.

This Doc sees himself as skin cancer EWS, not someone to deal with small issues like dry skin.

So my question is, do I dry thoroughly after my shower before putting it on, or as my brother suggested, lightly pat dry and then just smear the cream on my skin while skin is still wet?

Also for those of you who use moisturizer but live alone like I do, I found a selection of helpful aids to get it on every inch of the back. This is the one I bought. Amazon.com : Body Buddy Non-absorbent Lotion Applicator in Walnut : Back Lotion Applicator : Health & Personal Care This one is pretty good, and very quick to simply wipe off any excess when I am done. I have no idea why they made the handles elastic. I will sew some non-stretching fabric to do away with the stretch.

Anyway, what's the answer, apply to fully dry skin, or apply while still somewhat wet from shower? Thanks

Ha
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-01-2015, 10:30 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

One of the BIG causes of my itching was soap. If I could go 3 days without showering, no more itching. The natural oils in my skin took care of my skin the way nature intended it to. Daily showering with soap is what causes my dry skin and itching. Ask your doc about what type of body wash to use. I use DOVE and it makes a difference.

For moisturizer, I use this stuff;
http://www.amazon.com/Avene-Trixera-...=trixera+avene

Read the reviews for testimonials.

I can't pronounce it, it's FRENCH. (I think) I got it from my dermatologist. It's not cheap, but, by god it works! I was going nuts before I got this stuff!

As far as drying, I not only fully towel dry, I use my hair blow dryer to make sure my skin is bone dry. Then I apply the lotion.
skipro33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 03:54 AM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

Apply it to slightly damp skin. And use a mild "soap" - such as dove. Avoid the harsh brands like dial, ivory, zest, irish spring. Cetaphil is good, amlactin is very good. Check at costco, cheaper prices.
Travelwanted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 05:22 AM   #4

Generally good advice here. Apply an emollient to damp skin after a shower, rather than bone dry skin. Avoid harsh soaps such as Irish Spring. Dove or Cetaphil are good suggestions. Also, don't take very hot showers. No need to shower every single day, especially in winter. No need to use soap all surfaces either, just mostly in the "creases". Also avoid scented products as well.

Many dermatologists recommend Eucerin or even Aquaphor. I used Eucerin for years but it left a white sheen and was hard to apply, so I started using Aquaphor after showering a couple of years ago and it has definitely made more of a difference than anything else. I do feel a bit greasy after I apply it, however.

Lotions have more water and are less effective than creams which in turn are less effective than ointments as emollients, per pediatric dermatology literature.

One of the things I have found helpful is to occasionally take a bath with a tiny amount of moisturizing body wash in the water. I soak, then gently exfoliate. As soon as I get out I barely dry off and apply the Aquaphor to the dry areas. A good book, a glass of wine, some music and my jacuzzi tub make this a real treat. (It came with the house.) It's unbelievable how much dry skin gets left behind in the bath water.

I've always had dry skin but as I get older it has become much worse. The worst eczema occurs in children under age 2 though, and sometimes is related to food allergies. DS developed eczema and nickel dermatitis after he had a titanium plate put in his arm when he was 15. Last year he had it removed and his skin is rash free, except for a little on the affected forearm.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
EastWest Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 09:03 AM   #5

My dermatologist recommend "in-Shower body lotion":

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000NRQ89M/

for dry skin. I don't really like applying lotions to my skin most of the time (it's icky ;-) ) so this works well for me since you apply it in the shower and it doesn't leave a mess.
mpeirce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 08:22 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Thanks for the suggestions. To me it doesn't look like eczema at all, but the moisturizers do help. When I am busy I rarely notice any itching. Ditto when I am out or socializing.

It would be hard to cut down showering because I exercise daily, and sometimes more. But I have modified that to follow the showering-light protocol. Seems to work fine.

I go to Costco sometimes to get Olive Oil and Avocado Oil, so I will check out their price on Amlactin too.

Ha
Old 06-04-2015, 05:38 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

I had about two years of insane itching, I mean NOTHING helped! I scratched myself all over my body and I truly felt that I would go insane. Saw several doctors, dermatologists.

Then I ended up in Intensive Care with Diabetic Ketoacidosis and when my blood sugar normalized, after years of running high, my itching stopped. It was weird.
LinCella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 06:35 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

I get itchy dry skin in wintertime. I keep a small pump bottle of odorless, massage- grade almond oil by the shower and apply it to dry areas (principally shoulders and hip bones) right after towel drying. Works great. Also works on Mr. A's itchy back.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 06:57 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
A couple years ago I went to my derm because I was itching. He pointed out clear marks of scratching on my side, but I denied scratching, He likely though I was a damn liar or crazy. I think I was scratching in my sleep. He told me it was eczema, and gave me a cortisone ointment and told me to get this expensive tube of moisturizer called Amlactin .

Moisturizing is no miracle cure, but it does help. (I use only the moisturizer now.). I switched to Cetaphil, which I remember seeing at my parents place. This is somewhat cheaper, and like the Amlactin has no smell. It is also a bit easier to apply than Amlactin.

This Doc sees himself as skin cancer EWS, not someone to deal with small issues like dry skin.

So my question is, do I dry thoroughly after my shower before putting it on, or as my brother suggested, lightly pat dry and then just smear the cream on my skin while skin is still wet?

Also for those of you who use moisturizer but live alone like I do, I found a selection of helpful aids to get it on every inch of the back. This is the one I bought. Amazon.com : Body Buddy Non-absorbent Lotion Applicator in Walnut : Back Lotion Applicator : Health & Personal Care This one is pretty good, and very quick to simply wipe off any excess when I am done. I have no idea why they made the handles elastic. I will sew some non-stretching fabric to do away with the stretch.

Anyway, what's the answer, apply to fully dry skin, or apply while still somewhat wet from shower? Thanks

Ha
I can only say what works for me. I use Cetaphil skin cleanser. Then a toner. Then a moisturizer. I do this immediately after bathing. If you want to try it, then just use a little toner and enough moisturizer to feel comfortable.

The first rule of compounding: Never interupt it unnecessarily. Charlie Munger
UnrealizedPotential is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 11:15 AM   #10
Full time employment: Posting here.

For my itchy skin and scalp, my dermatologist recommended Vanicream products -no dyes, lanolin, masking fragrance, fragrance, parabens, or formaldehyde. There is both a cream and a lotion available and it is sold at Walgreens. I also use their Vanicare hair conditioner. Then there is a Cetaphil lotion that is especially for eczema that is very good but it is more expensive than their regular lotion.
ABQ2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 01:27 PM   #11
Full time employment: Posting here.

I agree, pat dry and apply the goop. I like the Aveeno Eczema Therapy line. It sort of hangs around after a shower, if I forget to reapply. Short, warm showers instead of long, hot showers and just apply mild bodywash or soap to the "smelly bits" -- everything else will do fine if you just rinse it off briefly.

Changing soaps can help a lot. I had bad hand eczema because I hate washing dishes with rubber gloves. For some forgotten reason, I changed dish soaps and by the time the first new bottle (Dawn) was gone, my hands had cleared up almost completely. The patch that used to crack, bleed and even get infected now has only a slightly dryish feel.
AllDone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 07:34 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Thanks for the suggestions. To me it doesn't look like eczema at all, but the moisturizers do help. When I am busy I rarely notice any itching. Ditto when I am out or socializing.

It would be hard to cut down showering because I exercise daily, and sometimes more. But I have modified that to follow the showering-light protocol. Seems to work fine.

I go to Costco sometimes to get Olive Oil and Avocado Oil, so I will check out their price on Amlactin too.

Ha
Ha, I just got an email from Costco online and they have AmLactin 20 oz. on sale for $14.99
http://www.costco.com/.product.11756...1060_Dell_haba
splitwdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 01:06 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

So soap can cause itching? Interesting. That would explain much.

Ha, when we were living overseas recently, the skin above my ankle started to itch and I was scratching it unconsciously at night. (Resulted in a skin infection that required penicillin. Ouch!) Later, DW insisted that I use CeraVe, a salicylic acid concoction, on the dry patches, applying it twice a day (dry). (I had used this with success on some eczema elsewhere earlier, but this looked different.) I also started wearing my socks to bed, which protected the patches and also helped with my cold feet these days. A hydrocortisone cream helped suppress itching in the beginning.

AFAIK, Amlactin (ammonium lactate) is just an exfoliant in a cleansing cream base. It helped with my alligator skin on my heels, but not on these dry patches for some reason.

A vitamin e cream was recommended to me for clearing up scar tissue. It seems to work.

It's funny that I never had problems like this when I was young.