Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-20-2009, 04:36 PM   #41
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
One of the best aspects of my (so far, 41 day) retirement has been the freedom to go to bed when I want to, and sleep when I want to, for however long I want to.

When I awaken like that, and can't get back to sleep, I just get up and start the next day. I will probably feel sleepy later on, and take a long nap when I feel like it.

One thing that I have noticed that to me is very odd, is that some days I need a lot of sleep (like, maybe 10-11 hours) and other days I seem to need only 5-6 hours. One would think that my sleep needs would be consistent from day to day, but I guess they are not.
I read through the entire thread so far. Like this response the best. DH and I usually do not surface before 10 AM. If I get up earlier then I read something. I like the idea of starting the day then and there however. Gonna try that.

La tavola e il letto non hanno restrizioni.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-20-2009, 06:35 PM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

One thing that helps me is that I know that even if I am awake a lot at night I'll be able to function OK the next day.

Old 12-20-2009, 06:45 PM   #43
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
When I awaken like that, and can't get back to sleep, I just get up and start the next day. I will probably feel sleepy later on, and take a long nap when I feel like it.
I had one of those nights (days) today. Barking dogs woke me around 4 this morning. Rather than get frustrated by my inability to get back to sleep, I got up, made a pot of coffee and started my day. At 8:30 I took a one hour nap and woke up feeling fine.

One of the many nice things about being retired is the luxury of being able to do this no matter what day of the week it is.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 07:05 PM   #44
Give me a forum ...

Sex, alcohol, towels and darkened rooms, all in 1 thread.

I just love this forum.
Old 12-21-2009, 04:42 AM   #45

To fall asleep, I:

Have my favorite room temp

Do everything I need to do before getting into bed at least one hour before I intend to to go sleep (except removing my clothes and taking a piss)

Put on boring TV (which is most of it) until I have my first involuntary muscle twitch or close my eyes longer than a blink

.. then visit the John, drop clothes on the floor, lie down and imagine myself sinking.

To stay asleep:

Melatonin. Its a hormone, not a drug. Older people produce less, so they don't go back to sleep easily after waking up

Ear plugs. Regular noise doesn't bother me, it's the irregular noise sources that wake me up.

My bed room has:

Blackout drapes. If I know the sun is up, I'm likely to wake up.

Tempurpedic matress. This. Made. My. Life. Better.
Old 12-21-2009, 07:35 AM   #46
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Reading makes my eyes tired and helps me go to sleep.

I often eat a late-night snack, but I have to sit up for about 20-30 minutes afterward to let it digest some or else I will have stomach gurgling and hiccups if I try to lay down.

As for naps, I take an afternoon nap so I will feel more refreshed when I go out dancing in the evening. But.....I like the naps so much I take one every afternoon LOL! It is the best quality sleep I get sometimes. Years ago, it affected my nighttime sleep but not any more.

I don't drink coffee and I don't have soda ny later than with dinner so it has no effect on my sleep.

And of course, not having to wake up early to go to work enables me to sleep when I want instead of "forcing" myself to go to sleep when I am not ready to. That is the biggest reason I would have trouble sleeping over the years.
Old 12-21-2009, 09:02 AM   #47
Give me a forum ...

Sometimes I think brushing your teeth has a "wake-up" influence on you. You're watching TV, and falling asleep. You go upstairs, brush your teeth and get into bed, and you're wide awake.

Sometimes I brush them an hour or so earlier to avoid that.
Old 12-22-2009, 08:41 AM   #48
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Sometimes I think brushing your teeth has a "wake-up" influence on you. You're watching TV, and falling asleep. You go upstairs, brush your teeth and get into bed, and you're wide awake.

Sometimes I brush them an hour or so earlier to avoid that.
I do the same. If I have been very active during the day, I am almost guaranteed to fall asleep on the couch, either reading or watching football or basketball. Much better for me if I can take a leak and head straight for bed when I wake up.

Ha
Old 12-22-2009, 09:46 AM   #49

You might also try soft music or an audiobook (but not one that is too absorbing—that will keep you awake). I have always been accustomed to have a radio or other sound in my bedroom and find I have problems sleeping without one (e.g. when traveling). I think you can also get CDs with the sound of ocean waves or rain on the roof that might be soporific.
Old 12-22-2009, 10:08 AM   #50

This is a topic that scares me more than the thought of ever having the medical need for Depends. At what age did sleep problems begin? (still sleeping soundly at 39) I know too many people older than me troubled by sleep disturbances.
Old 12-22-2009, 11:29 AM   #51

Night before last I went to bed at about 3:30 a.m., and got up at about 8:10 a.m.......4 hours 40 minutes. I got up when I was done sleeping, well rested, and went about life as normal.

Last night I went to bed at about 11:40 p.m., and got up at 8 a.m......8 hours 20 minutes. Again, I got up when I was done sleeping, well rested.

I go to bed when I get tired, and get up when I'm no longer tired. I figure my body and brain know what's required, and so I just go with their flow.
Old 12-22-2009, 11:33 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
Nah...I swing with a multitude of partners only on the dance floor. Besides, I don't have enough towels...
Have you tried substituting dryer sheets?
Old 12-22-2009, 12:28 PM   #53
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumquat View Post
Have you tried substituting dryer sheets?
I thought about it, however blow drying may w*rk better.
Old 12-22-2009, 01:01 PM   #54
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I am almost guaranteed to fall asleep on the couch, either reading or watching football or basketball.
Ha, this could be a big part of your problem. I often start to fall asleep on the couch watching TV, but I try not to let myself fall all the way asleep. Being asleep for just a few minutes will deplete your sleep drive or "sleep juice." Same thing for taking a nap too late in the afternoon.

It doesn't feel good, but if you find yourself drifting off, you might get up and walk around a little.
Old 12-22-2009, 01:13 PM   #55
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Being asleep for just a few minutes will deplete your sleep drive or "sleep juice." Same thing for taking a nap too late in the afternoon.
Not for me. I sleep better if I had a brief nap that afternoon (the 10-20 minute kind). But longer naps keep me up nights, so I avoid them.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 01:43 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Also I had sex most nights which sure didn't hurt

So you never married in other words?
Old 12-22-2009, 02:19 PM   #57
Give me a forum ...

I set a limit of 4 PM for starting a nap. No intentional naps after 4 PM.

Quote:
Also I had sex most nights which sure didn't hurt.
If it hurts, then you're doing it wrong.
Old 12-28-2009, 06:20 PM   #58
Give me a forum ...

The winter season is again creating an effect that puts me right out. My leather recliner is very close to a south facing window. Around midday, the sun streaming through the bow window warms up the living room, warms up the leather, and next thing I know...zzzzzzzzzz
My laptop and I both go to sleep.

My solution...here's some real rocket science for the masses.
On sunny days, every time I sit in the chair, I set a digital kitchen timer for 30 minutes.
It never fails to ding and wake me up. I get up and move around, change or fold laundry, make a phone call, shovel snow, etc.

Otherwise, I'd still be asleep in that fabulous warm sun.
Old 12-28-2009, 06:23 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
Otherwise, I'd still be asleep in that fabulous warm sun.
That's not a bad problem to have.
Old 12-28-2009, 07:07 PM   #60
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I sit in the chair, I set a digital kitchen timer for 30 minutes.
My problem with this is that I'll read for 25 minutes, then just be 5 minutes into a lovely nap when the alarm goes off. What I want is an electronic device that will ring 30 minutes after I've dozed off.