Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-12-2014, 10:09 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I'm about 60 days into CPAP machine use.. it has been wonderful in the 'quality' of sleep, however not so much with the quantity... has controlled my apnea pretty well. Not a fun thing to use, but better than being a zombie during the day.
Tailgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-12-2014, 10:59 AM   #22
Gone but not forgotten

Danger
You must be 18 or older to read this.

So here, I'll let you in on a little secret... but please don't noise it about.

Several years ago DW was prescribed the Drug Klonopin (clonazepam) for a short term problem. It worked for what was prescribed, and only a few of the pills were used. It made her drowsy. A year later, during a period of one of those anxiety producing issues, it was several days of upset and sleeplessness which were doing me in physically, and I really needed some sleep. So...
a half tablet... .5 gram, and off to dreamland.
after that, an occasional use, maybe three times a month, until we ran out of pills.

Next checkup, in my humblest, most scared manner, I made the confession to my beloved lady physician.
"Did it work?"
"Yeah"
"Would you like me to prescribe it?"
"Oh yeah!... Thanks... Wow!... But isn't it addictive?
"Look in my eyes"
"Uh huh"
"How old are you?"
"Seventy our"
(smiling) "And you're worried about addiction?"

So now, legally... I occasionally take a half tablet of my own Clonazepam and just the thought of being able to get this help, allows somewhat better sleep.

The drug is prescribed for epilepsy, and is often a target of drug abusers.

It could be a problem solver for some, if the prescribing physician agrees.

Here's support group website that discusses Klonopin and insomnia..

Clonazepam User Reviews for Insomnia at Drugs.com
imoldernu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 11:11 AM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

I sleep 8-9 hours, and sometimes nap. The hours of sleep increase about an hour per night in the winter. Generally no problem falling asleep around 9 pm, and wake up between 5 and 6. But sometimes I sleep for a few hours, wake up for a few, and then go back to sleep.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 11:15 AM   #24

Quote:
I spent 13 months of sleep deprivation following my younger son's birth. He would sleep in 30 minute increments and was an all-night-snacker. Since I was nursing, my boobs would respond to his cries and wake me up... I was working... during this period but probably not producing very good quality of work. That was a miserable period of my life. I do not do well on extended periods of 5 hours or less of sleep/night.
Wow Roni, you and I had the same life a few years ago. I was certain I was going to die. By the way, that kid that kept me awake so much is now in his 20's and is still the cause of some sleepless nights for me.

I am asleep within 10 minutes of lying down, but I also must have the tv on. And no matter when I go to bed, I wake up between 4 and 5. Drives me nuts. My mind races and I have the most ridiculous thoughts. Yoga has helped some, but it's still very annoying, especially when I can hear DH peacefully sawing logs.

However, if I get up and move to the family room, turn on the TV really low, I'm back asleep. It won't work if I stay in bed with the TV on - for some reason I get absorbed in whatever is on.

When the next model of human is released, I think there should be a sleep switch on them. Wouldn't that be nice to just flip that switch at 3 a.m.?
SumDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 12:42 PM   #25
Full time employment: Posting here.

I need 7 hours a sleep each night, DW needs 8 hours. I get up earlier, walk quietly so I don't wake DW or pup. I used to be able to nap, no longer can but I sometimes fall asleep in front of TV......then I need a little Ambien to fall back asleep when I go to bed.

Exercise twice each day on a treadmill....total 3 miles in 45 minutes.....helps with sleep and weight control. DW does same.....helps us both.
jerome len is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 01:38 PM   #26

I am a huge fan of sleep, but am not very good at it.

I am in a routine of in bed by ~10:30, up at 6:15. I can fall asleep with a proper wind down in a matter of minutes, and do not require a sleep aid.

But I toss and turn like a crazy person.

Sleep quality is largely dependent on room temperature. I wake up every night during the summer either hot, or to pull the blanket up. I desperately want A/C to manage the house rather than trusting mother nature to do it for us!

Also, I want a Sleep Number bed for my wife and I. She likes very firm mattresses; I do not. Seems logical! Anyone have experience?
Now I'm gonna live in a world like that!" - World Like That, O.A.R.
nash031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 01:39 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by sengsational View Post
I gave up caffeine a few months ago and love how easy naps became! Also my nightime awake spells got shorter. I'm sure that dropping my tea habit has allowed me more sleep, and I hope, better health.
I don't drink any caffeine after noon, and usually not after 10AM or so. It doesn't seem to affect my sleep one way or t'other.
Old 09-12-2014, 01:46 PM   #28

One more thing to try, and is far more natural and seems to work for me recently:

I've been experimenting with supplmenting with resistant starch. The goal is to improve gut health, giving the little flora down there something to chew on and thus flourish. I started with 1/2tbsp of Bob's Red Mill Unrefined Potato Starch ($3.50/bag) mixed with water right before bed. I immediately noticed that I slept more soundly and my dreams were more vivid. There's no real rhyme or reason I can think of, but many people who supplement with up to 4TBSP (do NOT start with this much... gas will be just awful!!) throughout the day, including some before bed, report similar experiences.

I'm not being as consistent with it as I want yet, but I'm up to a heaping 1TBSP before bed, and it's helping both digestion and sleep. I have to balance that with how much water I drink so I don't have to get up in the middle of the night.

Note: I do not eat very much, if any, refined carbohydrate or flour-based products. A serving of this starch is 40cal of carbs, so take that into account with your diet should you choose to try it!
Old 09-12-2014, 04:15 PM   #29
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Along the PS cure line are those who find taking a teaspoon of raw Honey at bedtime to be helpful. (I have found that -- real -- Maple Syrup works also but other sugars do not). I asked my doctor why that might work and he explained that it would increase ones blood sugar similarly to eating a high carbohydrate meal -- think of those big Thanksgiving meals and how easy it was to fall asleep on the couch afterwards.
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 05:18 AM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nash031 View Post
I've been experimenting with supplmenting with resistant starch. The goal is to improve gut health, giving the little flora down there something to chew on and thus flourish.
Here is a quite detailed (more so than desired) article on RS and sleep:

Why Resistant Starch & Prebiotic Fiber Improve Sleep and Dreaming | Mr. Heisenbug

Quote:
Gut bacteria produce SCFAs. These SCFAs modulate our immune system and inflammation. Solid ground.
So, what does this have to do with sleeping and dreaming? Apparently, a lot — every bit as much as I hoped and suspected.

It’s pretty common wisdom that the quality of our sleep has a lot to do with our immune system. But that wisdom tends to go in just one direction: that adequate sleep is essential for maintaining a strong, healthy immune system. And that’s almost undoubtedly true. But as I’ve suspected for a while now, that is only half the story. I believe, and a decent body of research supports the idea, that our immune system has a tremendous impact on the quality and structure of our sleep.
Quote:
Much data demonstrate that at least two cytokines, IL-1b (hereafter referred to as IL-1) and TNFa (hereafter referred to as TNF) are involved in the regulation of sleep. These two cytokines may be considered as sleep regulatory because data derived from electrophysiological, biochemical and molecular genetic studies demonstrate specific effects on sleep-wake behavior.
Quote:
What we’ve done is added a monumentally significant data point toward the broader theory that fermentable fiber consumption, through increased intestinal SCFA production, is hacking the immune system. In other words, the resistant starch / sleeping & dreaming connection is now a major piece of proof for the broader and much more important theory that gut bacteria, through SCFA production, profoundly modulate the human immune system and result in a systemic anti-inflammatory effect.
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 09:33 AM   #31

For most of us, irregular sleep is a byproduct of modern times - artificial lighting and the work schedule.
Apparently, our ancestors had a different sleep cycle - sleep shortly after dark, wake for a couple hours in the middle of the night, then re-sleep until dawn. The ultimate freedom would be to sleep whenever the mood strikes. Some solo full time RVers follow this pattern.
bjorn2bwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 09:50 AM   #32
Full time employment: Posting here.

I usually only slept 4-6 hours per night when still in work mode and while I was able to function okay I certainly would have preferred another good 2-3 hours of sleep. Have always gone to bed around 11-11:30 and been able to fall asleep in ten minutes or so. But the quality of my sleep was terrible. Felt like light sleep with a lot of tossing and turning and terrible snoring. DW recommended I get tested for sleep apnea and found out I did have it. Had UPPP surgery in 2010 and that corrected both the poor sleep and the snoring. Now in ER, I sleep a restful 7-8 hours per night interrupted only by the dreaded TB (Tiny Bladder). Still working on a solution to that issue.
Old 09-13-2014, 09:53 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by nash031 View Post
Sleep quality is largely dependent on room temperature. I wake up every night during the summer either hot, or to pull the blanket up. I desperately want A/C to manage the house rather than trusting mother nature to do it for us!

Also, I want a Sleep Number bed for my wife and I. She likes very firm mattresses; I do not. Seems logical! Anyone have experience?
I love my Sleep Number bed ! It was riduculous expensive for a mattress but I'd do it again in a heartbeat. I love that I can crank up the firmness for a few days when my back is aching (I generally keep it on the softer side). If you know someone who has one and you do end up purchasing one make sure you give their info to the salesperson so your friend can get a discount on other Sleep Number products (pillows, etc).

I hear you on the temperature thing ! I've solved this issue by using a small clip on fan that blows directly onto on my face all night. My face is cool, which makes my entire body feel cooler. During the hottest nights I'm still good under a light blanket. Somehow the fan helps my entire body regulate its temperature (but this could just be a menopause thing, so who knows !).
Hebrews 12:11

ER'd in June 2015 at age 52. Initial WR 3%. 50/40/10 (Equity/Bond/Short Term) AA.
Live And Learn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 12:24 PM   #34
Gone but not forgotten

WARNING!

Under no circumstances should you take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night!
imoldernu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 01:22 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by imoldernu View Post
WARNING!

Under no circumstances should you take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night!
That made me laugh imoldernu! Thanks!

I typically head to bed at 11:00 with a book. When I catch myself nodding, the light goes out. Don't normally have a problem sleeping unless my brain won't shut off due to some stressor. I try not to get in intense conversations after 9:00 (on the phone or otherwise). No caffeine after noon. Have found that red wine keeps me up for some reason.

On the occassional night I have a problem sleeping, I take a benadryl. Usually up by 7:00 to 7:30 a.m.
sheehs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 01:24 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by imoldernu View Post
WARNING!

tmm99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 02:33 PM   #37

There is an old seldom used anti depressant (I forget the name) that is prescribed for sleep issues due to its major side effect of drowsiness. As a bonus you probably wake up with a smile in the morning.
Old 09-15-2014, 02:42 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikerdude View Post
There is an old seldom used anti depressant (I forget the name) that is prescribed for sleep issues due to its major side effect of drowsiness. As a bonus you probably wake up with a smile in the morning.
Trazadone?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 02:52 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
Trazadone?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
That could be it.
Old 09-15-2014, 03:07 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
I've had insomnia my entire life, starting at age 7-8 I'd spend the entire night reading. It seems to get worse the older I get. Best treatment for me is self hypnosis. Works better at bedtime than at 3AM.
Can you elaborate on the self hypnosis that you use? Is this similar to progressive relaxation?
David1961 is offline   Reply With Quote