Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-15-2014, 03:10 PM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I was diagnosed with a mild form of sleep apnea and my doctor let me try a CPAP machine for about a month. I absolutely could not sleep with it! Plus, it caused my throat to get sore. I do have friends who say you do get used to it over time.
David1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-15-2014, 06:02 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by nash031 View Post

Also, I want a Sleep Number bed for my wife and I. She likes very firm mattresses; I do not. Seems logical! Anyone have experience?
My son has a basic Sleep Number bed. I liked it with hardly any air, very soft. That should work for you, but give it a try to check out the firmer edges.

You can also get Latex foam beds with different firmnesses on each half from a custom mattress manufacturer. They are relatively price competitive.
Animorph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 06:06 PM   #43
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by David1961 View Post
Can you elaborate on the self hypnosis that you use? Is this similar to progressive relaxation?
What I know about progressive relaxation came from Wikipedia. The two sound similar at an abstract level. Both require you to focus on something, what I do instead of focusing on muscles is visualization. In my minds eye I see numbers written on a blackboard. Start at 100 and 'see it' then it gets earased replaced by 99. You only think about and see numbers. Slowly counting down and dowwnnn, don't believe I've ever made it to 50, if it's going to work.

There was a post 6-8 months ago on a similar topic. Someone had a link in there of a guy speaking in a monotone, hypnotic type voice. That put me out in a couple of minutes. I'm not very good with search on my phone or I'd link that thread in.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 07:26 PM   #44

I go to sleep at midnight and wake about 5:45. Since I ER'd I may take a 30 min nap in the afternoon but it isn't necessary. I love my Duxiana bed and the Tempurpedic neck pillow. I fall to sleep very quickly. Don't ever remember my dreams.
Old 09-15-2014, 07:39 PM   #45
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeBrake View Post
I'm fortunate in that I sleep very well. My problem is that I wake up at first light. This was not a problem when I was working because I had to get up way before first light.

I've tried keeping the room dark. That doesn't help. For a while I blamed the Canadian geese that can make quite a racket around here. But the geese don't come every morning and I still wake up.

So, if I want to sleep longer, I have to go to bed earlier.
+1
I just explained this to someone who didn't understand why I got up so early every day (usually around 5 AM). I simply cannot seem to sleep past 6 AM, regardless of how late I might have gone to bed, but I can generally fall asleep early on any night I so choose.

I'm convinced the reason I fall asleep within, usually, 5 minutes or so, is that I exercise vigorously most days. Virtually every active person I know sleeps like a log.
RetiredAndFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 12:32 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
In my minds eye I see numbers written on a blackboard. Start at 100 and 'see it' then it gets earased replaced by 99. You only think about and see numbers. Slowly counting down and dowwnnn, don't believe I've ever made it to 50, if it's going to work.
I do something similar but with a "Sesame Street" flair. For those who remember "the Count" I see the number 10 in various fonts and colors flying in from all angles. When I feel myself relax a little I change it to a 9. I keep repeating the number over and over (just like the Count did .... 10, 10, 10, 10, 9, 9, 9, 9). When I feel myself relax from the "Level 9" I go to 8. If I haven't fallen asleep by the time I get to 6 its a lost cause and I get out of bed for 30 minutes and try again later.
Hebrews 12:11

ER'd in June 2015 at age 52. Initial WR 3%. 50/40/10 (Equity/Bond/Short Term) AA.
Live And Learn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 01:06 PM   #47

Something like this? LOL. I loved the Count!

David1961 is offline   Reply With Quote