Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-26-2014, 01:35 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

BTW, I would never consider surgery, personally. Maybe lap-band surgery, but no cutting stuff out of my head.

And I don't care how big your truck is."
Ed_The_Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-27-2014, 09:25 AM   #42
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailgate View Post
Mixed results with machine so far.. 16.5 two nights ago, 1.9 last night... (AHI)

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

My Dr. said around 4 is the norm. I checked my numbers this morning for the past 148 days that I have had the machine. Average AHI during the span is 2.4. Average hours used a day 7.7 ( I enjoy retirement).

I also use a chin strap.

Old 07-27-2014, 10:13 AM   #43
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaufmanrider View Post
My Dr. said around 4 is the norm. I checked my numbers this morning for the past 148 days that I have had the machine. Average AHI during the span is 2.4. Average hours used a day 7.7 ( I enjoy retirement).

I also use a chin strap.
great numbers! I bet you are feeling wonderful benefits. Last night I couldn't bear the nose pillows for more than 2 hours, so I pulled it off. Had not done that before...I guess there will be good nights and not so good nights.
Old 07-27-2014, 10:19 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_The_Gypsy View Post
BTW, I would never consider surgery, personally. Maybe lap-band surgery, but no cutting stuff out of my head.
The surgery is certainly a bit drastic but it worked for me and I had to take action as DW was threatening to banish to me the guest bedroom.

And I'm sure the mask would have worked but I didn't think it would be all that conducive to spooning and I'm rather fond of that.
Old 07-28-2014, 12:32 PM   #45
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I have the full face mask and not only did we have to give up spooning but we had to put a big body pillow between us standing up because I was blowing cold air on his neck. However, he is happy that he can finally sleep without me sounding like a dying cow)
Old 07-29-2014, 09:01 PM   #46
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
I have the full face mask and not only did we have to give up spooning but we had to put a big body pillow between us standing up because I was blowing cold air on his neck. However, he is happy that he can finally sleep without me sounding like a dying cow)
My wife found a solution that works for us. Don't laugh. I drape a pillowcase over my face. It is light and stays put until we are asleep and I roll over. It keeps the air flow off her and has an additional value to me as it shades my eyes from light so I can go to sleep if she reads. I use it when I take a nap in the day to block the light. OK, now you can laugh, but it works. I forgot to mention that a major reason my wife made me go to the sleep clinic in the first place was that I would stop breathing and it scared her. I didn't know that I did and it worried me then, too.
Old 07-29-2014, 09:12 PM   #47
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailgate View Post
Last night I couldn't bear the nose pillows for more than 2 hours, so I pulled it off.
It is well worth getting a selection of masks and nose pillows in different sizes and harnesses so you can change once in a while. I prefer the nose pillow but my nose gets irritated sometimes. You might consider a spare hose as well since they can break after a while or if you kink them and if you are like me, you need the machine every night. Something else that makes me more comfortable is hanging the hose from above. I can usually hang it from the headboard. An unrelated point, my wife bought me a very inexpensive chinstrap from Amazon for emergencies and travel. It works. I might have tried it before we bought a machine, but didn't know about them yet.
Old 07-30-2014, 08:22 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_The_Gypsy View Post
It is well worth getting a selection of masks and nose pillows in different sizes and harnesses so you can change once in a while. .
good idea... I'm 2 1/2 weeks in with the machine. I need to take the data card in for the respiratory therapist to read.. I will get some options. Last night I took the nose pillows off for awhile and when I put them back on, I put them on upside down.. didn't figure it out for awhile. AHI was 3.51 last night.
Old 08-26-2014, 04:05 PM   #49

bump for a quick update....

latest 30 day average AHI was 4.17 which is pretty decent coming down from the 16.9 without the nose pillows and machine.

Compliance is coming in at average 5 hours 28 minutes a night which is 79% and good enough for insurance to cover the machine lease.

Next visit with the sleep Dr is 9/4.

Bottom line..feel better, more rested, no more super drowsy spells during the day. Some nights the nose pillows are a struggle, but most nights I can drop off to sleep pretty quickly.

If you snore frequently and your SO says you gasp for air during the night, plus you feel sleepy during the day, I certainly would recommend the sleep study. I'm hoping as I lose more weight I will eventually not need the mask, however I'm willing to continue using it in exchange for the better health it promises. I am convinced it is helping with my BP and is good for heart health and a stroke preventative.

Cheers...
Old 07-14-2015, 04:26 PM   #50
Recycles dryer sheets

I have been diagnosed with moderate sleep apnea and recently spent an evening in a sleep lab enduring the very real torture of a cold-air blow dryer stuck in my nose, then mouth, then nose again (i.e. various cpap masks). I am, unfortunately, a bit of a mouth breather. Even the nurse on duty was discouraged at my inability to sleep or find a suitable mask (three nose versions, one mouth version).

Assuming these medical people can eventually get the air flow (titration) right, I am wondering if a chin strap and a nose cpap device would work.... (The chin strap would, I suppose, keep my mouth closed.) The nurse/technician never mentioned a chin strap, but Amazon has lots of them.

Any thoughts, Apnea People?
Old 07-14-2015, 04:36 PM   #51
Confused about dryer sheets

A chin strap may be worth a try. I was a mouth breather until I got my CPAP, used the chin strap for a couple of nights but then magically I became a nose breather without the need for the chin strap.

Make sure your nose is really clear before doing this, I have a diverted septum and have to regularly use nasal spray to ensure my nose is clear before sleeping.
Old 07-15-2015, 06:00 AM   #52
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks all for the posts I have an appointment next month as I have the stop breathing and snoring issues along with not feeling rested. I suspect I will have a machine shortly.
Old 07-15-2015, 06:37 AM   #53
Recycles dryer sheets

I seem to be a bit of an outlier on the apnea front: I have no weight issues and neither I nor my SO have detected lapses in breathing. Rather, I bolt up in bed almost every night and act startled. And occasionally (this is embarrassing) I scream and in my grogginess imagine all sorts of things (more embarrassing stuff): raccoons sitting on the windowsill, squirrels running under the bed, people in the bedroom or elsewhere in the house.

As you may have guessed, this has not thrilled my bedmate. So my SO frog-marched me to the sleep clinic after months of this. I thought it was just stress related to my transition from high-octane off*ce environment to ER, which occurred a few months ago. I thought it might be night terrors, but the sleep doctor wanted to rule out apnea. He did the overnight test on me and I scored 23.5, which is moderate apnea.

So I am anxious to get some sort of breathing mask that works. The nighttime "events" continue a few times a week. Thus the earlier posts. I am going to push for a chin strap and nose mask. I'll just persist till I get to the bottom of this.

Has anyone else heard of this type of thing (startled wake-ups) being a symptom of apnea?
Old 07-15-2015, 06:49 AM   #54

I was diagnosed with sleep apnea maybe 15 years ago, and the CPAP has done me very well--with full face mask. When I don't use the machine, the next day I'm ready for a nap mid afternoon and feel rather lethargic as the day goes on.

This is a much more prevalent condition than many realize. A fast majority of bad snorers have S/A. Just about every man over 200 lbs. and size 17 shirt will have S/A. Those that do nothing about it don't realize that they may be choking in their sleep.

S/A causes many automobile accidents--and even deaths. Those with untreated S/A have an abnormally high incidence of open heart surgery as they have a very low blood oxygen level at night.

This is a serious medical condition that millions of people are ignoring. And it's also a female issue--they also can have S/A. It doesn't have to be this way.
Old 07-15-2015, 08:49 AM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
This is a serious medical condition that millions of people are ignoring.
+1. Apparently, my dad's sleep apnea has already caused pulmonary hypertension and congestive heart failure.
Old 07-15-2015, 09:33 AM   #56

Probably not applicable to the sufferers here as I think you all have actually, clinical sleep apnea. My sleep apnea was caused entirely by running high heart rates while exercise. ie exercising too hard. As soon as I backed off the workouts heart/sleeping/breathing problems went away. And this had gone on for several years. It wasn't a two week thing. So, if any of you are constantly pushing the performance envelope, crank it back.
Old 07-15-2015, 10:31 AM   #57
Recycles dryer sheets

I was diagnosed with sleep apnea 2 years ago (my colleagues convinced me to go to the doctor after I was caught repeatedly nodding off and snoring while sitting at my desk). My AHI was 105 - frankly, a truly terrifying score. I was used to tossing and turning all night, every night, getting what I thought was maybe an hour or so of sleep at a time. My body literally never fell into a deep sleep.

Not a big fan of the masks, but from day 1, I haven't had a day time drowsy problem since. In fact, even on occasion when I felt like taking a nap from a comfort perspective, I can't fall asleep, because I'm actually rested. The technician at my sleep study said this would change my life. He was not wrong.

For anyone new to the issue, I do recommend trying as many different styles and brands of masks as you can. I took the first one they fit me with because I didn't know any better. It was fine, and clearly worked. But last year when I went in for my update, I got a new style of mask and it fits me so much better.

In 2 years, there have only been 2 nights I haven't used the mask. Once was when we lost power, and once I was on an overnight flight home from Hawaii.

I do have quite a bit of weight that I should lost for many reasons, and I'm hoping as I work on that, it will also help with the apnea issue.