Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-27-2018, 08:37 PM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by HadEnuff View Post
says who? actually, were I in a cannabis friendly state I'd likely try just the opposite of what you consider the safest.

As it is, I muddle along with some alcohol in the evening, no TV or computer for an hour before sleepy-bye time, a clear and clean conscience, some reading in bed, and just figure it's ok if I wake up after two hours and need to pee and may or may not get right back to sleep.

After all, I'm retired, and don't need to answer to an alarm clock. And I avoid making any appointments before 11 AM.
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelyman View Post
Perfect. I add classical music, played VERY low (you can barely hear it) to the mix.
excellent..I forgot to add that to my list. I have Alexa bedside. I prefer my Stan Getz Pandora Station to classical myself, but I'm sure classical would work just as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
Yoga breathing helps me.
Yep, that too.
HadEnuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-27-2018, 09:21 PM   #42

Melatonin for me.
Old 11-27-2018, 10:15 PM   #43
Confused about dryer sheets

Yep, indica cannabis. The wifey and I dropped our alcohol consumption by 90% and now use cannabis most evenings. We are sleeping like babies. This has been a life-changer for us!
porter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 03:54 AM   #44
gone traveling

sativa for me. if I can't get to sleep, I get up and smoke a small bowl. right back to bed and fall asleep immediately. but I never take anything before going to bed to make me sleep. could be because I get up when I wake up, usually 0400.
kitesurfer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sleep. For a nightcap, which is healthier: alcohol or marijuana? if you need chemical
Old 11-28-2018, 06:08 AM   #45

Sleep. For a nightcap, which is healthier: alcohol or marijuana? if you need chemical

Ok seems like there’s more to know about all this marijuana stuff. Maybe I should spend a few nights in Colorado.
happy2bretired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 07:33 AM   #46
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy2bretired View Post
Ok seems like there’s more to know about all this marijuana stuff. Maybe I should spend a few nights in Colorado.
Just don't go back home with anything in your pocket.
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 10:11 AM   #47

[emoji23] yep
happy2bretired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 10:37 AM   #48
Full time employment: Posting here.

I am shocked how many think smoking dope is acceptable. Last husband was a daily user. I for one do not think this legalization trend is a good thing.

I will suffer with insomnia before using that crap. My new husband doesn't think I should care about all the dope smokers. He says it's just thinning the gene pool.

We recently rented a car from Hertz stunk so bad of marijuana it gave me an instant headache. It was a brand new car, we tried multiple air fresheners nothing worked.

You smell people here East Bay, smoking and driving on the freeway just ridiculous you think DUI but they can't determine a legal limit since it stays in your system so long.

Ok, rant over. Sigh.
Vacation4us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 12:29 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vacation4us View Post
I am shocked how many think smoking dope is acceptable. Last husband was a daily user. I for one do not think this legalization trend is a good thing.

I will suffer with insomnia before using that crap. My new husband doesn't think I should care about all the dope smokers. He says it's just thinning the gene pool.

We recently rented a car from Hertz stunk so bad of marijuana it gave me an instant headache. It was a brand new car, we tried multiple air fresheners nothing worked.

You smell people here East Bay, smoking and driving on the freeway just ridiculous you think DUI but they can't determine a legal limit since it stays in your system so long.

Ok, rant over. Sigh.
+1, I agree with you!
Old 12-02-2018, 12:46 PM   #50

Quote:

Ok, rant over. Sigh.
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanWinkle View Post
+1, I agree with you!
Well, you guys probably should just stay away from it.
Old 12-02-2018, 01:03 PM   #51

Quote:
Well, you guys probably should just stay away from it.
We are not talking about us, we are talking about our opinion of the legalization and the safety concerns that come with it.
Old 12-02-2018, 02:11 PM   #52

Deep restorative sleep is important enough for me to strive for the noble state of purity - no exogenous chemicals. I get this most nights.

I am however, fairly dependent on the endogenous chemical cocktail that comes with exercise, if I get too little, my sleep suffers.
On those nights where I need a little nudge, I use 5mg lithium orotate, and on rare occasions low dose (~2mg) Zolpidem (Ambien).
I have tried various cannabis products but they proved too inconsistent to be useful. An alcohol nightcap definitely does not work for me.

Whatever gets you through the night...... John Lennon
bjorn2bwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 02:35 PM   #53
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I am shocked how many think smoking dope is acceptable.
Just curious. Do you and your current husband have the same opinion about alcohol which is much more dangerous to society... comparing apples to apple.
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 02:45 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanWinkle View Post
We are not talking about us, we are talking about our opinion of the legalization and the safety concerns that come with it.
Actually, the question posed was whether alcohol or pot was healthier as a nightcap, if you need a chemical to help you sleep.

It was not a discussion about the hazards of legalization until someone tried to derail the topic into that discussion.

So, are you stating that alcohol is safer as a nightcap than pot? If so, do you have some science you can point us to for support?
Old 12-02-2018, 02:49 PM   #55
Give me a forum ...

It's funny my old state voted in medical cannabis. A state physician board came out against it, suggesting the docs talk to patients about their symptoms and prescribe traditional drugs.

So for me that would mean going back on opioids and benzos. Thanks but no! Maybe add some soma and I wouldn't need any refills!
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 02:53 PM   #56

Quote:
Actually, the question posed was whether alcohol or pot was healthier as a nightcap, if you need a chemical to help you sleep.

It was not a discussion about the hazards of legalization until someone tried to derail the topic into that discussion.

So, are you stating that alcohol is safer as a nightcap than pot? If so, do you have some science you can point us to for support?
Enough said, I bow to your intellect.
Old 12-02-2018, 03:02 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjorn2bwild View Post
Deep restorative sleep is important enough for me to strive for the noble state of purity - no exogenous chemicals. I get this most nights.

I am however, fairly dependent on the endogenous chemical cocktail that comes with exercise, if I get too little, my sleep suffers.
On those nights where I need a little nudge, I use 5mg lithium orotate, and on rare occasions low dose (~2mg) Zolpidem (Ambien).
I have tried various cannabis products but they proved too inconsistent to be useful. An alcohol nightcap definitely does not work for me.

Whatever gets you through the night...... John Lennon
interesting. I am not a great sleeper. Generally, I have no problem falling asleep, but staying asleep for more than a couple of hours at a time is elusive. I don't indulge in pot, because it's not legal in my state. That in itself does not deter me, but due to the fact that it is illegal, I don't trust the supply chain, nor do I have access to good, legal information coupled with product I'd trust.

But your exercise point is well taken. I am a very fit 65 year old. Not a high endurance athlete, but in very good shape for my age. What I have consistently found, for 20 years or so, is that if I don't get enough exercise or fresh air, it adversely effects my sleep. Also, if I get too much exercise, my legs get twitchy, and they keep me up. I just nod off, and one of my legs, usually my right leg, will involuntarily twitch, waking me (and my long suffering DW) wake up.

DW tells me some nights I twitch like crazy and don't wake myself up, just her.
She's a saint for staying with me.
Old 12-02-2018, 04:38 PM   #58
Give me a forum ...

We don’t use pot but I know many people have been helped by it for chronic conditions. Luckily it is legal here. I think it should be everywhere.
Teacher Terry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 05:00 PM   #59
Recycles dryer sheets

For ten years I drank more and more due to undiagnosed dystonia. I was up to 750ml a week of Jack Daniels. I couldn't even get a buzz from beer (tried 12 one day.) I could sleep, but I had a heck of a hanger many mornings. I don't drink anymore, but I use marijuana nightly. I'm sleeping fine.
morriss003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 05:19 PM   #60
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Ok, rant over. Sigh.
You're sadly misinformed about the DUI issue. It's quite easy to get one. Good old fashioned field sobriety tests are admitted and prosecuted. The fact current testing technology has an issue with drug life cycle works against those who need medicine.

There's a lot of folks pouring money into immediate detection research.

Point is people do get DUI'S for driving under the influence.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote