Sleep. For a nightcap, which is healthier: alcohol or marijuana? if you need chemical

I find that after about 1 week of abstaining from alcohol, my sleep gets really good.

This saddens me a bit. Not that I'm a big drinker, but simply that even moderate use seems to whack my sleep that much. Heavy (4+) drinks in one setting basically cause a sleepless night.

No sleep problems for me at 72. DW gets aggravated with me 'cause she says I'm asleep soon after my head hits the pillow. I'd definitely recommend the book "Why We Sleep" if you'd like to understand more about how sleep and how it affects us.

The author (director of the Center for Human Sleep Science at the UC Berkeley) was interviewed on Fresh Air last year. The interview can be downloaded here:

https://www.npr.org/sections/health...t-walking-through-life-in-an-underslept-state

Although his current focus is a possible link between Alzheimer's and lack of sleep, he discusses many of things brought up here: melatonin, changes in sleep as we age, caffeine, alcohol (but not marijuana), as well as the difference between sedation (sleeping pills) and restorative sleep.

Sorry, but your clearly an addict. Drank too much then replaced with pot. You don’t see a problem here? Or it it the lesser of 2 evils?

An addict is an addict weather it’s by drink,smoke, injection, or pills.

My beloved father was a recovering alcoholic. He was proud to have 10 years sober when he passed. My former husband was /is an addict but not an alcoholic. Neither is better than the other.

I suffer from insomnia, alcohol does not help achieve a good nights sleep. I would never try cannabis even if a million people promised relief with its use. Sleep remains elusive but an addict I refuse to be.

Exercise can help will try to be more consistent with that, my internal temperature seems to be my biggest barrier. I can’t sleep in a refrigerator so my wake cycles will continue I imagine.

I guess I'm a marijuana addict since I use it daily. My addiction is a little less than my coffee addiction, and more than my addiction to watching the Detroit lions, a truly terrible thing. :facepalm:

Seriously I've never heard of anyone having trouble quitting mj. I stop for medical procedures, like operations and when im on prescriptions that might interfere. trips and sometimes just for a break. Never had a problem quitting.

Marijuana is not in the same league, addiction wise, with alcohol, tobacco or opioids. I don't advocate using mj for my grandkids, and our 3 sons are all drug tested, so I wouldn't counsel them to start either.

But just think, if it helps Alzheimer's as new research says is possible, along with diabetes and so many other conditions of aging if needs to be legal everywhere. Heck I read recently it might help with lymes disease. Once you get by the social stigma, there's a new world of possibities out there. But what do I know, I'm an addict.

Early in this thread, I posted a Link on Melatonin. I wonder if anyone read it?

I take 10 mg time release. You get 5 mg over short period, then 5 mg time released. I found this dose to work best. 1-3 mg doses tried prior barely worked for me. 0.3 mg? That wouldn’t even register to my system.

I grow cannatonic #4. It tested at .5 thc and 15% cbd. A user may get a brief buzz, but there really isn't any outward feeling. It's more of an absence of pain, and I feel more energetic. It smells just like juicy fruit gum.

But to your question a high CBD, low thc variety should work.

Jeffman52. I smoked a little in the 70's, but quit on my own and soon after was drug tested due to a security clearance for most of the next 30 years. It wasn't until I was retired and our state started a medical mj program in 08 did I restart.

It's a whole new world. There is a lot more knowledge about cannabis now. I'd start slow and get yourself a decent vaporizer. Then just experiment until you find something you like.

After I started I lost 35 lb, drank less, slept better, stopped taking opioids, became more active since i had less pain so there's no going back.

Can you provide a link to a good vaporizer?

I learn so much here on this forum. You guys are like marijuana nerds. All science, data & tech. Takes me back to my college biology class. Well, actually, I’m afraid I’ve never heard of a terpene. I learn something new every day. Very grateful for the smart posts!

Northern Michigan University in Marquette has a BS in Medicinal Plant Chemistry. Seem to recall that it started about 3 years ago, as part of their very large Biology, Chemistry, Natural Resource/Environmental curriculum.

Can you provide a link to a good vaporizer?
Head over to Puffitup. They sell most brands and many folks rave about their service. I have not personally used them.

Need to decide on price, and style. Desktop or portable. Electric or butane heated.

Electric are very nice typically more expensive. Butane is easy and cheap. I use a portable electric mighty, about $350. A nice butane dynavap can be under $100. Both work great, it's about your usage.

Head over to Puffitup. They sell most brands and many folks rave about their service. I have not personally used them.

Need to decide on price, and style. Desktop or portable. Electric or butane heated.

Electric are very nice typically more expensive. Butane is easy and cheap. I use a portable electric mighty, about $350. A nice butane dynavap can be under $100. Both work great, it's about your usage.

Gotta agree here. Puff it up is a great online store to shop for a vaporizer. Look for sales. I bought a mighty last nov on black Friday for $279. They generally have sales at the major holidays and of course on April 20......4/20 "puffedup" is their discount code for everyday.

The mighty is a good choice, and a high quality piece. For me it's a bit much by myself. I use mine mostly with my wife in the evenings.

For a single user a good option is a fury 2. It isn't much bigger than a lighter. And like the mighty you can get and use capsules. The capsules are very convenient (you can pre-load them) plus they keep your vape much cleaner. Since its smaller you get less battery life than a mighty.

Another good micro dose option is a dynavap. A full load in the one i use holds .05 grams of herb, but there are two smaller load options. So a gram of herb will last a long time. It does however have a learning curve. It requires an outside heat source, so most use a butane handheld torch (like a cigar lighter). Theres a technique to it that takes practice. Mistakes (combustion) taste terrible. Or there are battery operated induction heaters that work very well, although it makes the little vape less stealthy and portable.

All three that I mentioned are portables. The mighty and the fury two are battery operated. But there are a lot of desktop vapes as well. And puff it up has a good selection and decent prices.

And if you go with a vaporizer, most have water options. That means you can use a water pipe to cool the vapor. But of course water pipes make it less portable, but vapes paired with a good glass pipe take things up a notch. Pipes are like cars. You can get a serviceable cheapo,(generally Chinese knock offs) or a luxury model. Sky's the limit on price.

Last edited:
Thanks, all, for the Puffitup suggestion. I just ordered a dosing capsule filling set for my Storz & Bickel Mighty. The filling kit is admittedly for us OCD types....but cool nonetheless.

Thanks, all, for the Puffitup suggestion. I just ordered a dosing capsule filling set for my Storz & Bickel Mighty. The filling kit is admittedly for us OCD types....but cool nonetheless.
Let me know how you like it. Thanks in advance.

Are any of the non thc or cbd containing herbs good for sleep? Or is it just the thc or the cbd that really helps you sleep?

The link I posted has a good number of herbs you can vape and their properties. To answer your question, yes, some are said to promote sleep. And depending on where you live, legally safer than thc.

I take 2 benadryl and vape a bowl every night about 30 minutes before going to bed every night and have since I retired 15 years ago. I sleep like a baby. Before retiring I usually had a several Jack Daniels every night after getting home. Didn't sleep well at all. I hadn't smoked since my college days but started again after leaving work, stopped the alcohol and my life has vastly improved. Of course being retired did remove most of my stress but the weed really makes me much more mellow!!

Some help... "Alexa play Sleep sounds Beautiful Dreams". My favorite.

Back
Top Bottom