Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-07-2019, 10:10 AM   #141
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamboolman View Post
I used to say that I can not sleep on planes but that or 2 red wines does it. Can't use cannabis on planes (yet)

gayl is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-07-2019, 10:15 AM   #142
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shredder View Post
More so than a somewhat artificial label of indica or sativa, (most are hybrids anyway) maybe more important is the terpenes of the marijuana buds. The terpenes are responsible for the taste and a lot of the effects. If you find a variety you like, you'll most likely like another variety with similar terpenes. I like blue dream for sleep, it's 85% sativa, but very relaxing.

Same with pain, or energy. If you fine a variety that works for you pay attention to the terpenes. Other varieties with similar terpenes will be closer in effect than say two sativas would with different terpenes. It's the cannabinoids, (over 70) terpenes and the ratios of each that determine the effects.

Most medibles won't have much in the way terpenes compared with fresh buds as they disapate during cooking. Not many folks could tell a sativa from an indica in medibles form.

We make our own cannacaps from a mj concentrate we make ourselves. I squeeze buds with a 20 ton press to extract the oils. And use the oils mixed with coconut oil in size 00 gel caps. The ratio of canna oil to coconut oil will determine dose. The capsules set up in the fridge or freezer. We take one each in the evening. The capsules are much easier to get a correct dose than say brownies in a home setting.

For sleep cbn may be the most important cannabinoid. I believe it can be separated by heat, but I don't have any personal experience. I'm sure labs will figure it out. A lot of people swear the left over mj from vaporizers is good for sleep when eaten in a capsule. High cbn i guess. I never tried this myself.

As far as mj being so much more potent now? Show me the evidence. It's not there. (my little pet peeve) Today's herb is much better because it's grown better and handled with care. While yesterday's brick weed is like an old nag next to a racehorse. In fact one trend is to grow the old landrace varieties, before so many breeders took over without too much rhyme or reason. I still haven't seen anything now as strong as panama red in the late 70's. Was it high thc? Maybe, or maybe the terpenes. It was really something though, lol.

Its true that breeders have bred towards higher thc (and away from cbd) in the past but that's changing, especially in the medical mj area. But again the terpenes can have a huge effect both medically and effect wise. High thc strains are actually boring compared with a more balanced strain. Today's breeders go for medical effects and taste (terpenes) probably more so than for thc alone.

And yes I'm in a legal state. It's a shame everyone isn't.
Great post.

What type of press do you use? I've been looking at some videos on rosin extraction. Is that similar to what you are doing?

I use a mighty vape and save up the AVC, extract in coconut oil; yes it is sleepy medicine. Of course it's mainly from indica strains.

I'm going to research more about terpenes, I didn't realize how volatile some are. It's makes sense, sometimes lower THC and tasty does more for me.

MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 12:47 PM   #143
Recycles dryer sheets

I have a cheap harbor freight press. ($150)And I added an air assist pump later. ($90) On the press I use low temp plates. ($479)

For a smaller cheaper option Google : dab press. You can get some smaller presses in the $300 range complete.

Your mighty is a great vape! Did you know canopy growth bought out s and b, mighty s parent company?

Oh and thanks to the poster that brought up micro dosing. You really don't need much marijuana for a good medical outcome. More isn't nessarilly better. Some folks vape tiny amounts like .02 grams. So a little goes a long ways.
Shredder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 01:20 PM   #144
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
I have a cheap harbor freight press. ($150)And I added an air assist pump later. ($90) On the press I use low temp plates. ($479)

For a smaller cheaper option Google : dab press. You can get some smaller presses in the $300 range complete.

Your mighty is a great vape! Did you know canopy growth bought out s and b, mighty s parent company?

Oh and thanks to the poster that brought up micro dosing. You really don't need much marijuana for a good medical outcome. More isn't nessarilly better. Some folks vape tiny amounts like .02 grams. So a little goes a long ways.

Presently, my best friend has his permit for medical marijuana here in Illinois. For health reasons, he has to use edibles. Do you know which type would be best for pain relief and minimal 'high" ? CMD?
golfnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 03:40 PM   #145
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by akidagain2018 View Post
I'm surprised at how much weed has been vilified on this thread. Hey, we aren't working anymore, right? What's the big deal if someone vapes a bit of weed? It's not as bad for you as alcohol and surely Benadryl and the like is just a substitute for alcohol or sleeping pills - chemicals. I'm just surprised this forum has what would appear to be a majority of people who are anti-weed (calling it dope - really? where are we? 1972). I thought over 50-60% of America supports legalization? No aging hippies here I guess. Did they all take low paying jobs so they can't retire early? Color me confused....
I so agree. Haven't used weed for years but after I retire I plan on it. Not for sleeping or pain relief but just for fun LOL.
Old 01-07-2019, 04:47 PM   #146
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

TY!

Yes, I'd heard about S&B being acquired, they're great. Hope nothing changes. My last one went back on an RMA and they stood behind the product.
Old 01-07-2019, 07:08 PM   #147
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfnut View Post
Presently, my best friend has his permit for medical marijuana here in Illinois. For health reasons, he has to use edibles. Do you know which type would be best for pain relief and minimal 'high" ? CMD?
I grow cannatonic #4. It tested at .5 thc and 15% cbd. A user may get a brief buzz, but there really isn't any outward feeling. It's more of an absence of pain, and I feel more energetic. It smells just like juicy fruit gum.

But to your question a high CBD, low thc variety should work.

Jeffman52. I smoked a little in the 70's, but quit on my own and soon after was drug tested due to a security clearance for most of the next 30 years. It wasn't until I was retired and our state started a medical mj program in 08 did I restart.

It's a whole new world. There is a lot more knowledge about cannabis now. I'd start slow and get yourself a decent vaporizer. Then just experiment until you find something you like.

After I started I lost 35 lb, drank less, slept better, stopped taking opioids, became more active since i had less pain so there's no going back.
Old 01-08-2019, 07:14 AM   #148
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

After I started I lost 35 lb, drank less, slept better, stopped taking opioids, became more active since i had less pain so there's no going back.
Absolutely so awesome to hear others having to same experience! From 2010-2015 I took 180 opioids and 60-90 benzos every month. Now 0 and no pain.
Old 01-08-2019, 10:41 AM   #149
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffman52 View Post
I so agree. Haven't used weed for years but after I retire I plan on it. Not for sleeping or pain relief but just for fun LOL.

Yep, give me those undesirable side effects...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 06:22 PM   #150
Recycles dryer sheets

I learn so much here on this forum. You guys are like marijuana nerds. All science, data & tech. Takes me back to my college biology class. Well, actually, Iím afraid Iíve never heard of a terpene. I learn something new every day. Very grateful for the smart posts!
michelek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 06:32 PM   #151

I find that after about 1 week of abstaining from alcohol, my sleep gets really good.

This saddens me a bit. Not that I'm a big drinker, but simply that even moderate use seems to whack my sleep that much. Heavy (4+) drinks in one setting basically cause a sleepless night.
JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 07:12 PM   #152
Confused about dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by misanman View Post
No sleep problems for me at 72. DW gets aggravated with me 'cause she says I'm asleep soon after my head hits the pillow. I'd definitely recommend the book "Why We Sleep" if you'd like to understand more about how sleep and how it affects us.
The author (director of the Center for Human Sleep Science at the UC Berkeley) was interviewed on Fresh Air last year. The interview can be downloaded here:

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-...derslept-state

Although his current focus is a possible link between Alzheimer's and lack of sleep, he discusses many of things brought up here: melatonin, changes in sleep as we age, caffeine, alcohol (but not marijuana), as well as the difference between sedation (sleeping pills) and restorative sleep.
Pluperfect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 02:22 PM   #153
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vacation4us View Post
Sorry, but your clearly an addict. Drank too much then replaced with pot. You donít see a problem here? Or it it the lesser of 2 evils?

An addict is an addict weather itís by drink,smoke, injection, or pills.

My beloved father was a recovering alcoholic. He was proud to have 10 years sober when he passed. My former husband was /is an addict but not an alcoholic. Neither is better than the other.

I suffer from insomnia, alcohol does not help achieve a good nights sleep. I would never try cannabis even if a million people promised relief with its use. Sleep remains elusive but an addict I refuse to be.

Exercise can help will try to be more consistent with that, my internal temperature seems to be my biggest barrier. I canít sleep in a refrigerator so my wake cycles will continue I imagine.
I guess I'm a marijuana addict since I use it daily. My addiction is a little less than my coffee addiction, and more than my addiction to watching the Detroit lions, a truly terrible thing.

Seriously I've never heard of anyone having trouble quitting mj. I stop for medical procedures, like operations and when im on prescriptions that might interfere. trips and sometimes just for a break. Never had a problem quitting.

Marijuana is not in the same league, addiction wise, with alcohol, tobacco or opioids. I don't advocate using mj for my grandkids, and our 3 sons are all drug tested, so I wouldn't counsel them to start either.

But just think, if it helps Alzheimer's as new research says is possible, along with diabetes and so many other conditions of aging if needs to be legal everywhere. Heck I read recently it might help with lymes disease. Once you get by the social stigma, there's a new world of possibities out there. But what do I know, I'm an addict.
Old 01-10-2019, 07:15 AM   #154

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBoyd View Post
Early in this thread, I posted a Link on Melatonin. I wonder if anyone read it?

I take 10 mg time release. You get 5 mg over short period, then 5 mg time released. I found this dose to work best. 1-3 mg doses tried prior barely worked for me. 0.3 mg? That wouldnít even register to my system.
Old 01-10-2019, 07:28 AM   #155

Quote:
I grow cannatonic #4. It tested at .5 thc and 15% cbd. A user may get a brief buzz, but there really isn't any outward feeling. It's more of an absence of pain, and I feel more energetic. It smells just like juicy fruit gum.

But to your question a high CBD, low thc variety should work.

Jeffman52. I smoked a little in the 70's, but quit on my own and soon after was drug tested due to a security clearance for most of the next 30 years. It wasn't until I was retired and our state started a medical mj program in 08 did I restart.

It's a whole new world. There is a lot more knowledge about cannabis now. I'd start slow and get yourself a decent vaporizer. Then just experiment until you find something you like.

Can you provide a link to a good vaporizer?
Old 01-10-2019, 07:45 AM   #156

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBoyd View Post
Early in this thread, I posted a Link on Melatonin. I wonder if anyone read it?
I read it, interesting information. I take the 3 mg on occasion just to sleep
later in the morning. I have no problem falling to sleep.
Old 01-10-2019, 08:08 AM   #157
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelek View Post
I learn so much here on this forum. You guys are like marijuana nerds. All science, data & tech. Takes me back to my college biology class. Well, actually, Iím afraid Iíve never heard of a terpene. I learn something new every day. Very grateful for the smart posts!

Northern Michigan University in Marquette has a BS in Medicinal Plant Chemistry. Seem to recall that it started about 3 years ago, as part of their very large Biology, Chemistry, Natural Resource/Environmental curriculum.
jimandthom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 08:08 AM   #158
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al in Ohio View Post
Head over to Puffitup. They sell most brands and many folks rave about their service. I have not personally used them.

Need to decide on price, and style. Desktop or portable. Electric or butane heated.

Electric are very nice typically more expensive. Butane is easy and cheap. I use a portable electric mighty, about $350. A nice butane dynavap can be under $100. Both work great, it's about your usage.
Old 01-10-2019, 05:41 PM   #159
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
....I use a portable electric mighty, about $350.
The Storz & Bickel "Mighty" is s nice unit - decent battery life, nice flavors, good (German) build quality, etc.
Singletrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 05:47 PM   #160
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al in Ohio View Post
Al, here's a couple of additional vaporizer retailers for your consideration:

https://www.planetofthevapes.com

https://www.vapeworld.com

Singletrack is offline   Reply With Quote