Join Early Retirement Today

Sleep. For a nightcap, which is healthier: alcohol or marijuana? if you need chemical
Old 11-26-2018, 09:59 PM   #1
gone traveling

Sleep. For a nightcap, which is healthier: alcohol or marijuana? if you need chemical

Sometimes people use sedatives to help them end the day. Given that there are health risks for all chemical means to achieve sleep: The studies on the cancer risk of drinking alcohol are all over the board. Even the “people’s pharmacy” says the risks of alcohol are not nearly as bad as it appears in the media depending on each person. Is it safer to end the day with marijuana/ wine or booze or other chemical assistance?

https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/...=1000423201540
Health risks could be overblown by the media.
michelek is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-26-2018, 10:04 PM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

Herbal tea
Old 11-26-2018, 10:49 PM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

Maker’s Mark, neat.
txtig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 10:53 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doribe View Post
Herbal tea
+1

Alternately, warm milk.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 12:08 AM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
I find I have no problem sleeping if I do an hour or two of hard physical labor, like digging 4 foot holes for concrete posts, or chopping wood.

When I just sit in front of the computer all day, I have trouble sleeping, I'll take 1/2 of a benedryal and that solves it.
Old 11-27-2018, 04:21 AM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Advil PM
mexexpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 04:22 AM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Yoga and breathing exercises to wind down.
sturbridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 05:04 AM   #8
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Well I can’t drink because of past bouts of pancreatitis. So, I’m currently experimenting with CBD oil even if it’s not technically marijuana. I sometimes can reach that nice relaxing state but not consistently.
happy2bretired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 05:20 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mexexpat View Post
Advil PM
This or Benadryl. I don't do it every night though. Just a couple of nights a week. Normally sleep pretty well but have a couple of nights I need some help.
Old 11-27-2018, 06:17 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

I don't know and am not sure there is any research that answers the question about relative safety. Everything I read about alcohol would lead me to conclude that anything larger than a small night cap could be problematic and could interfere with sleep. I wonder why people think anything other than occasional use of Benadryl or NSAIDs like Advil are safe. NSAIDs are well known to cause gastro-intestinal problems.

I hear anecdotal reports from friends who use indica strains of marijuana to sleep (including DW who swears by it to alleviate restless leg syndrome and induce sleep) but I am not aware of studies documenting those effects or addressing safety of long term use. That said, I know people who have used it daily for half a century and seem fine. If I had sleeping problems I would risk marijuana before I would turn to regular use of NSAIDs and certainly regular use of prescription sleep meds.
Old 11-27-2018, 06:24 AM   #11

A clear conscious seems to work for me.

A clear conscious is the sign of a bad memory!

VW
Old 11-27-2018, 06:54 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by mexexpat View Post
Advil PM
The sleep aid in this is diphenhydramine (benedryl). Just buy the generic; cheaper and no NSAID to destroy your stomach
erkevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 07:10 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Can't see anything on the OP.

IMHO alcohol will make you fall asleep and shortly after you will wake up restless and toss the rest of the night.

Cannibis, at least Indica strains are for relaxation and sleep. CBD while not technically indica, also makes for good rest. You may find that you don't dream as much or vividly. This can be a disappointment to some or a godsend to those who suffer with nightmares associated with PTSD.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 07:22 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Herbal tea or herbal supplements for me. Alcohol makes me sleepy for a little while but then I have trouble staying asleep.
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 07:23 AM   #15
Administrator

No blue light for at least 30 minutes before going to bed. That means no TV or computer screens. If you can't manage without, then many (most,all?) tablets and smart phones have a night time setting that removes much of the blue light from the display.

I use the last half hour to either listen to an audio book or read an e-book or paper book.
Old 11-27-2018, 07:47 AM   #16
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelek View Post
Is it safer to end the day with marijuana/ wine or booze or other chemical assistance?
It's safest to use none of the above.
joeea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 07:59 AM   #17

no blue light as discussed above and whenever I remember I put my legs in the air (yoga pose called legs up the wall, but you can just raise your legs and get the same effect). And then body scanning which is essentially choosing an end to start at and say relax your forehead, now deeper, relax your jaw, now REALLY relax your jaw, and then I generally drop off to sleep before I get to my knees
MrsHaloFIRE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 08:09 AM   #18
Administrator

Curare, with an appropriate psychedelic compound.
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 08:09 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsHaloFIRE View Post
no blue light as discussed above and whenever I remember I put my legs in the air (yoga pose called legs up the wall, but you can just raise your legs and get the same effect). And then body scanning which is essentially choosing an end to start at and say relax your forehead, now deeper, relax your jaw, now REALLY relax your jaw, and then I generally drop off to sleep before I get to my knees
That’s funny! I used to do the same thing but I started at my toes. Now that I have a CPAP, a nightcap of rum puts me right in the spot. I dream now which I never did.
Lawrencewendall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 08:18 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeea View Post
It's safest to use none of the above.

+1 I'm a lifelong insomnia, despite being physically active. I think the best advice is to not go to bed at a set time, but wait until you are sleepy. Regardless of any appointment I may have the next day, I will not go to bed until I am drowsy.
mystang52 is offline   Reply With Quote