Join Early Retirement Today
Old 02-21-2011, 07:46 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Have not had that experience. Though it reminds me of a line by George Burns: If I wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, I must be dead.

There must be moderation in everything, including moderation.
ls99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-21-2011, 11:34 PM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets
never realized that others had this happen as well.

I usually have a nightmare or think there is an intruder in the house... then I am unable to move or yell. It sucks.

Whatever you do will be insignificant, but it is very important that you do it.
mickj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 07:27 AM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Originally Posted by kyounge1956 View Post
There's also a hypothesis that sleep paralysis is the real explanation of alien abduction.
Then how do you explain that "probe"?
Have Funds, Will Retire

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 11:08 PM   #24
It's only happened to me maybe 4-5 times in my life (the latest, coincidentally, was just this past Wednesday on a work-related, 5 hr road trip, when I dozed off in the back seat).

The scariest time was when I was in a plane on a college trip. I "woke up" during the flight, only to hear a VERY loud engine noise, and thinking "wait a minute, that engine sounds waaaaaay too loud - something's wrong! (like we were going to crash). I tried jerking and thrashing my arms around to move or look around, but couldn't move. I eventually woke up, and the plane's engines sounded normal.

I was sure that someone must have seen me flailing around in my seat, attempting to wake myself up, but everyone around me was just relaxing, so it must have been all in my mind.

The most odd situation was when I was a child, and was aware that my paralasys was in my dream, so I went back to sleep in my dream and woke up - only to "wake up" in yet another dream, which I didn't realize at first, as I was able to move around in my dream.
Dryer sheets Schmyer sheets
MooreBonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 09:55 AM   #25
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Yes. I've had those "wake up" dream several times. Dreaming that I woke up, but only to find that I'm still asleep. Usually, this would happen several times during that episode til I finally do wake up asking myself for a few seconds .."Am I really awake?"
Have you ever seen a headstone with these words
"If only I had spent more time at work" ... from "Busy Man" sung by Billy Ray Cyrus
easysurfer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 03:21 PM   #26
this is bizarre! i never heard of this and yet so many people here have experienced this?

i was going to ask about what you were smoking but you dispelled that.

at 1st i thought that this sounds great but maybe not, i suppose it is very scary to experience.
veremchuka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 02:15 PM   #27
This happened to me once. I remember it vividly since it scared the living daylights out of me!

I guess your brain turns off you body when you dream, otherwise you would be up and walking around all the time (sleepwalking). From what I understand you can partially wake up, and you brain still has you body turned off.
Bimmerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 02:59 PM   #28
I've experienced this many times, but it almost always includes knowing that I have to get out of bed before I am killed. (walls are closing in, I see a stranger at the foot of the bed with a knife, etc).

My brain tells me I'm awake but I can't move, scream...nothing. At the last second I'm able to jump out of bed just before whatever is about to kill me happens.

After some research I've learned it's called night terrors and for me it happens when I'm under extreme stress. DH is usually on the road when I have them, but he experienced one of them wihen I jumped out of bed and ran screaming down the stairs.....Haven't had an episode in several months, thank goodness.
Lisa99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 03:02 PM   #29
Read the book Journey out of the Body by Robert Manroe. It's a very old book. You might find it entertaining.

This is long, but bare with me..

I used to have this paralysis thing a lot when I was younger (junior high)... especially when I took a nap after school (used to be athletic and belonged to a team so I was too tired to study right after getting home) and then stay up till early morning to study and then would go to sleep again and I would get these pararisys eposides when I went to bed the second time. I think it happens more often when your mind is very active, but your body is exhausted. I couldn't move and I could feel this strange BUZZING sensation all over my body, but my mind was awake.... Interestingly, many of my friends then experienced this also. (It has a special term for it in Japanese... From wiki -

Sleep Paralysis -
In Japanese culture, sleep paralysis is referred to as kanashibari (金縛り, literally "bound or fastened in metal," from "kane" (metal) and "shibaru" (to bind, to tie, to fasten). This term is occasionally used by English speaking authors to refer to the phenomenon both in academic papers and in pop psych literature.[25])

As I got older, these episodes became less and less often and last time I had it was probably 10-15 years ago or more, and even when I had them, they were much less intense (not much buzzing).

I don't want to sound out there, but has any of you read an old book called Journey out of the Body by Robert Monroe?

I read his book long time ago (in my mid twenties) and read the part where the author explained he started sponteneously traveling out of his body during these episodes (I don't think he called it Sleep Paralysis, but I could be wrong, but anyway he actually verified what he saw in this sleep state with actual events) and I realized the experience he was talking about was what I experienced when I was younger. I think he said he had those episodes when he drank coffee late in the afternoon and went to bed (again mind is active but body may be exhausted scenario). Like I said, it's been more than 25 years since I read the book, so I don't remember the details.

I must have read his book right after reading Carolos Castaneda's.... I used to enjoy books like that.

tmm99 is offline   Reply With Quote