Join Early Retirement Today

Sleep Paralysis
Old 02-19-2011, 10:11 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Sleep Paralysis

Oh boy...I have that experience sometimes (I say 2 or 3 times a month) and an episode this morning.

Do you know what I mean?...kinda creepy...your mind wakes up a bit before your body so your mind "floats around" trying to wake your body up

Treatment of Sleep Paralysis

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-19-2011, 10:47 PM   #2
Give me a forum ...

Oh my...that does sound scary. I don't think I've ever experienced anything like that.

I guess I'm just grateful I keep waking up each morning.

Old 02-19-2011, 10:52 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Yeah. I get that mostly when I sleep on my back. The sensation is I'm half-awake, half asleep..So I look at the surroundings of the room but and half-aware. Usually, (creepy) I try to call out but make an unaudible call...then I wake up.

I remember when I was a child, my Dad must have had that sensation too. Sleeping on his back he described it to my Mom as a feeling like a ghost was on him (creeped me out as a child..left me imaging what he meant).

To add insult to injury, last night before my "sleep paralysis" episode, I had a typical w*rk dream .
Old 02-19-2011, 10:55 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
To add insult to injury, last night before my "sleep paralysis" episode, I had a typical w*rk dream .
.......bless your heart darlin'.....
Old 02-20-2011, 12:15 AM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

There's also a hypothesis that sleep paralysis is the real explanation of alien abduction.
Old 02-20-2011, 02:22 AM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
I have that experience sometimes (I say 2 or 3 times a month)...
Wow! I've experienced it maybe 2 or 3 times in my lifetime. The first time it scared me to death. I thought I'd pinched a nerve and was paralyzed or something. The second time I knew what it was, so instead of abject panic, it was more like, "Oh, great, this again..."
Old 02-20-2011, 08:32 AM   #7

I've had it happen to me a few times. It always seemed to follow a very hard workout like a long run. It was as if my body was physically exhausted and hadn't woken up although my mind had, a strange but not a bad feeling.
Old 02-20-2011, 10:20 AM   #8
gone traveling

Don't go into the light!!! ...
Old 02-20-2011, 10:42 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by glippy View Post
Wow! I've experienced it maybe 2 or 3 times in my lifetime. The first time it scared me to death. I thought I'd pinched a nerve and was paralyzed or something. The second time I knew what it was, so instead of abject panic, it was more like, "Oh, great, this again..."
Yes. I've pretty much learned to identify it (sometimes) and go "Oh, great, this again.." like you said.

But sometimes, during my half awake state, I'd continue to dream that I wake out and move about, then realize I'm still dreaming. This might go on for a round or two until I finally wake up.

p.s. No..I don't have any secret mushrooms or anything!
Old 02-20-2011, 11:31 AM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

I've had it many times. Probably more common in my 30s, although I still have an event now and then (currently in my 50s). Never knew what it was until a few years ago when I read about this.

For me, it happens when I am waking up. I can't move. Kind of scary, because no matter how hard I try, I can't move any part of my body or open my eyes. I feel like I am frozen. Sometimes, I will hear voices (they say this is common), like someone is in the room or house. This only makes me try to get up even more - but I can't. I usually "fall back asleep" or just "relax for a while" and then I can "wake up normally".

The only time it really bothers me is if I know I am supposed to be home alone - but am hearing voices. Even when you know what it is - it is very disconcerting. If I know DH is home, it doesn't bother me as much.
Old 02-20-2011, 11:37 AM   #11
Administrator

That would drive me nuts! I'm glad you are able to deal with it better than me.

The closest I have had, is waking up, springing out of bed, only to find that one side of my body (my left leg and arm, for example) seems weak. Sometimes the leg on that side could give way and I could even fall down. I discovered that if I got back in bed and napped for another ten minutes, the problem would be gone.

Probably what I am describing is just due to sleeping on one side until that leg/arm "fall asleep". Then when I lie down and let blood flow back into them, all returns to normal. Different phenomenon, I suspect.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 12:18 PM   #12

I know it is off-thread, but can any of you explan to me how come, after almost 6 years of ER, and from the beginning I am still having dreams about work on a cuasi daily basis, and why I am in those dreams reprimanded, ridiculed, scr****g up, apologizing ......
Old 02-20-2011, 12:51 PM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

Also known by me as an Old Hag Attack and I had one about a year ago - there was the sense of something really bad coming slowly towards me and I couldn't move a muscle, until I managed to wake myself after what seemed to be an eternity - phew, what a relief when I realized that it was only an "Old Hag attack" .
Old 02-20-2011, 01:15 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Haven't had it (yet), but it has to be better than the opposite:

Living | Acting out while asleep | Seattle Times Newspaper

Amethyst
Quote:
Oh boy...I have that experience sometimes (I say 2 or 3 times a month) and an episode this morning.

Do you know what I mean?...kinda creepy...your mind wakes up a bit before your body so your mind "floats around" trying to wake your body up

Treatment of Sleep Paralysis
Old 02-20-2011, 01:25 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Oh, dear. I am sorry you are having such dreams. It sounds like you may be worried about something.

I have a theory that work dreams are like the "school dreams," where we suddenly realize that we are about to take a final exam, but haven't studied. I had such dreams for years after leaving school. And I always, always studied for my exams The school dreams are probably just everyday fears of messing up.

Here is a Web site with every possible bad dream about work:

Dream Jobs and Job Nightmares -- Work-Related Dream Analysis

Amethyst

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicente solano View Post
I know it is off-thread, but can any of you explan to me how come, after almost 6 years of ER, and from the beginning I am still having dreams about work on a cuasi daily basis, and why I am in those dreams reprimanded, ridiculed, scr****g up, apologizing ......
Old 02-20-2011, 01:27 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post

Amethyst
This was subject of a This American Life episode. The story "Sleep Walk with Me" is excellent. Fear of Sleep | This American Life

(sorry for continued digression).

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 01:34 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post

Amethyst
That's an interesting article. I enjoyed reading it.

About acting out one's dreams...reminds me of the Mr. Ed show. Here's the segment of that episode from Youtube (Alan Young is hilarious as Wilbur):

Old 02-21-2011, 11:31 AM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Spouse hates when this happens... to me.

I usually spend the time before full wakefulness trying to escape-- thrashing, shouting, running. I've noticed that my ears haven't "woken up" yet either, so I'm not able to hear. Eventually the rest of my body catches up with my hyperactive brain, but at that point it's like letting out the car clutch with the engine revving on the red line.

It's usually "work-related" submarine flashbacks. At least I don't bolt upright shouting casualty-response orders anymore.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 11:52 AM   #19
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post

I usually spend the time before full wakefulness trying to escape-- thrashing, shouting, running. I've noticed that my ears haven't "woken up" yet either, so I'm not able to hear. Eventually the rest of my body catches up with my hyperactive brain, but at that point it's like letting out the car clutch with the engine revving on the red line.

It's usually "work-related" submarine flashbacks. At least I don't bolt upright shouting casualty-response orders anymore.
My ex used to have something sort of like this, I guess, only we assumed it was just a light touch of post-Vietnam PTSD. He was a very sound sleeper. If I had tried to awaken him from close by, it might have been fatal since he just couldn't control his reactions and wouldn't be in his right senses for a while. If he really needed to get up, I was instructed to just yell at him from the doorway, toss water at him across the room, etc. But always from a good distance.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 08:40 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post

Yes. About the part of trying to escape. Sometimes in the dream state a "conscious" part of me says "here we go again...." and I already know then that I'll have trouble waking up that morning.