Join Early Retirement Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Smart phone medicine - is this the future?
Old 02-06-2013, 04:50 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 13,251
Smart phone medicine - is this the future?

My sister just sent this to me.

It is a Rock Center piece on having tests etc. informaton sent to a smart phone.

It is really fascinating what can be done right now. I hope that some of this starts to come out more.


NBCNews.com Video Player
__________________

__________________
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-06-2013, 05:17 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Midpack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Chicagoland
Posts: 11,959
I hope so, it makes sense as a place to start in some/many cases. Not a matter of if, but when IMHO...
__________________

__________________
No one agrees with other people's opinions; they merely agree with their own opinions -- expressed by somebody else. Sydney Tremayne
Retired Jun 2011 at age 57

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 05:36 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 1,629
Interesting.....

but NO WAY is that iPhone doing my prostate exam
__________________
ERhoosier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 08:42 AM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Northern IL
Posts: 18,255
Interesting. The first portion seemed way over-hyped to me. I'm no doctor, but I can't imaging that a two contact device on your fingertips is really the same as an EKG with all those probes glued to a shaved chest. If it was, it could and probably would have been done w/o using a smartphone as the 'brain' and interface.

That made me pretty skeptical, but as it went on, the automatic communication, like reporting stats to your doc directly, or when a preset alarm level occurred, and other inter-actions with the patient really did appear to bring some significant value-added items to the table.

And if you are developing a suite of interfaces, using the phone as the core of the device eliminates a lot of re-inventing the wheel, and takes advantage of the economy of scale of the cell phone market. Esp as it is re-used for multiple adapters.

Thanks for posting, very interesting.

-ERD50
__________________
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 08:50 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus
Bestwifeever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 16,372
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
My sister just sent this to me.

It is a Rock Center piece on having tests etc. informaton sent to a smart phone.

It is really fascinating what can be done right now. I hope that some of this starts to come out more.

NBCNews.com Video Player
And here I was impressed with the bubble level app I downloaded to check if a countertop sloped!

I am also thinking of the "blonde jokes" this report could trigger.
__________________
“Would you like an adventure now, or would you like to have your tea first?” J.M. Barrie, Peter Pan
Bestwifeever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 11:04 AM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
ls99's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 4,792
Quote:
Originally Posted by ERhoosier View Post
Interesting.....

but NO WAY is that iPhone doing my prostate exam
It is only a virtual finger.
__________________
There must be moderation in everything, including moderation.
ls99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 09:26 PM   #7
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 1,072
Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
Interesting. The first portion seemed way over-hyped to me. I'm no doctor, but I can't imaging that a two contact device on your fingertips is really the same as an EKG with all those probes glued to a shaved chest. If it was, it could and probably would have been done w/o using a smartphone as the 'brain' and interface.

That made me pretty skeptical, but as it went on, the automatic communication, like reporting stats to your doc directly, or when a preset alarm level occurred, and other inter-actions with the patient really did appear to bring some significant value-added items to the table.

And if you are developing a suite of interfaces, using the phone as the core of the device eliminates a lot of re-inventing the wheel, and takes advantage of the economy of scale of the cell phone market. Esp as it is re-used for multiple adapters.

Thanks for posting, very interesting.

-ERD50
A cardiologist will want the patient to get a 12 or 15 lead EKG if there is truly a problem - so the 1-3 leads are merely sending quick "rule-out" pieces of information. With regard to the alarms, there is a lot of concern that this is a lot of data that needs to be analyzed, so what happens is there is a 'call center' which filters and analyzes the data so that only the information that needs to 'acted upon' by the clinician is sent to the clinician.

With regard to the smartphone being used a a gateway device, there are many different ways in which you can use it - depends on what you want to do and where (i.e. process, display, act on the data at the phone, the cloud or the final data resting place).

PM me if you want more information.
__________________
Deserat aka Bridget
“We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.” - George Orwell/Winston Churchill
deserat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 09:49 PM   #8
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Northern IL
Posts: 18,255
Quote:
Originally Posted by deserat View Post
A cardiologist will want the patient to get a 12 or 15 lead EKG if there is truly a problem - so the 1-3 leads are merely sending quick "rule-out" pieces of information.
Thanks, that makes sense. It seemed the video tried to show them as equivalent rather than as a first screening device. Having cheap, accessible screening devices is a real advance on it's own.

-ERD50
__________________

__________________
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


 

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:49 AM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.