Join Early Retirement Today
Old 02-27-2008, 05:32 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
My husbands snoring has driven me to the spare room. He was not happy about it and even less so when I started fixing up the room to my liking, darkened shades, humidifier, alarm clock. He's finally come to terms with the fact that if I can't sleep because of his decibel level I will go to my room not to mention that I become very grumpy with him. He tried to have a sleep study done but the people giving the test made it terribly uncomfortable for him so he walked out and refuses to do it again. Weight is not his problem as he snored just as bad when thin as now a little heavier, we've also tried all the OTC remedies to no avail. I can't wear earplugs, they make me feel like I'm sleeping underwater and don't block out enough of the the snoring.

My only suggestion is to make peace with the spare room if all of the other remedies fail.

Dogs aren't our whole lives, but they make our lives whole. - Roger Caras
Outtahere is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-27-2008, 05:37 AM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets
I'm a dentist, and I've had great success using the Thornton Anterior Positioning Appliance for my patients who are snoring and or have sleep apnea. There have been several version of this. The current one is the TAP 3 and it is fantastic. Basically the appliance brings your lower jaw forward so when you sleep the tissue in the back of your throat doesn't collapse. This product is MUCH more comfortable than the cpap machine (how anyone can sleep with a cpap is beyond me).

Here is a link:

Glidewell Laboratories: 1-800-854-7256

novaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 01:25 PM   #23
Dryer sheet wannabe
I will back up what novaman has stated.

My sister is a dentist and runs a sleep disorder dentistry practice. She claims many snoring problems can easily be fixed with a simple oral appliance. For those who have had braces it is not much different then wearing a retainer. She finds her career very rewarding emotionally because such a simple solution can be a life-changing event for both the snorer and the spouse of the snorer!
Targeting40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 02:04 PM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
A coworker's husband snored loudly (those who had been on fishing trips with him said people were kept awake two tents over); he wouldn't see a doctor until after he had an auto accident (from falling asleep driving; fortunately nobody was hurt). He had surgery and was much better (this was 20 or so years ago).
My lifelong friend and paddling partner snores and gurgles. We share a tent on camping trips and I wear earplugs in my ears and shooting muffs over my ears so I can sleep. Where we can, we camp near moving water which helps mask the racket. I mean....... he's a true blue friend and a kindred spirit, but the snoring is a pita and I do worry about his health.

His symptoms related to being tired during the day seem to be getting worse. Example: we're driving someplace to begin a trip and he falls asleep within minutes of getting into the truck.

His DW (also a life long friend) called a few weeks ago to tell me she had made an appointment with a doc for him and was going to give him the news and an ultimatum that evening. She wanted my support and I readily agreed.

Her initial report is that he went to the doc and is considering some treatment alternatives. I'll get more details when we see them next weekend.........
"I wasn't born blue blood. I was born blue-collar." John Wort Hannam
youbet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 06:02 PM   #25
My older boss is a retired dentist who uses a CPAP, any younger dentists I talk to echo what you are hearing here--try talking to someone who specializes like Target40's sister in this stuff, it can make a world of difference!
My DH used to snore, but losing weight made it go away, thank goodness!
“One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it's worth watching.”
Gerard Arthur Way

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 07:43 AM   #26
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
DW made me go to a sleep clinic. I snore, but she would wake up when I stopped breathing. Turns out I was waking up 58 times in an hour. I now have a CPAP machine and am enjoying restful sleep. I don't fade after lunch anymore. I am no longer combative at work (Project Management is afraid of me...which has positive aspects). Half of America must be using these things. The security people at the airports don't even make me take it out to inspect anymore.

Once again cheating the devil
my bumpersticker:
"I am not in a hurry.
I am retired.
And I don't care how big your truck is."
Ed_The_Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 03:30 PM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets
I snore, but it rarely wakes me up.

popowich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 07:03 PM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets
Wow! I have had sleeping problems for years and everything advised is right on! Apnea is the number one worry (yes I have it...wake up every 4 minutes---mild?) so do try getting checked out. Nothing worked...CPAP would get torn off by midnight or I would sound like a blow torch....mouth breather with the jaw open. Dental device hurt my jaw if extended enough to help. Pills, humidifier, bed elevated, change pillows. Sorry! I know you are the one dealing with the snoring but I wanted to let you know, it is no great ball game on your "significant others" end either!! Hope it works for you!
guest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 08:36 AM   #29
Dryer sheet aficionado
You may want to buy DH some nasal strips to open up his nasal passage a bit more. I know someone who bought them to prevent him from waking up his family members during the night and it worked. I believe Breathe Right has nasal strips, but I think you can find generic versions in most drugstores. Hope this helps!
Jessica08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 06:14 PM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets
Originally Posted by Jessica08 View Post
You may want to buy DH some nasal strips to open up his nasal passage a bit more. I know someone who bought them to prevent him from waking up his family members during the night and it worked. I believe Breathe Right has nasal strips, but I think you can find generic versions in most drugstores. Hope this helps!
I use the nasal strips and my sleeping is much more benificial and my wife says I snore less. Walmart had some excellent generic nasal strips that were half the price but they must have changed suppliers cuz their new ones suck. I found some great generic at ShopKo.
For anyone here that has sleep problems I love them and would recommend them. They really open up my nasal passages and are definitely worth a try.

Razor is offline   Reply With Quote