Join Early Retirement Today

Snoring??
Old 01-01-2008, 07:19 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Snoring??

I feel as if I am sleeping with Porky Pig as DH is a snorer. He is the type that puts his head on the pillow and is out in 30 seconds or less and the snuffling and snoring starts. The only successful method I have found to allow me to get any sleep is to go to the spare room. I am a troubled sleeper and the smallest thing stops me sleeping. I only got 2 hours sleep last night because DH's damn phone was receiving texts then his snoring kept me awake.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what you have done to help prevent or tone down snoring? DH is slightly overweight so is there any hope that if he loses a bit his snoring will cease. I am feeling pretty desperate here and thinking the spare room is going to be mine on a permanent basis if it doesn't stop.

I be a girl, he's a boy. Think I maybe FIRED since July 08. Mid 40s, no kidlets. Actually am totally clueless as to what is going on with DH.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-01-2008, 07:51 AM   #2

Ear Plugs? No, losing some weight probably will not help. Sounds like my DW talking about me - she also threatens to go to the spare bedroom. Not much help, huh?
Old 01-01-2008, 08:16 AM   #3
Gone but not forgotten

Sleep Pretty in Pink Women's Ear Plugs | Hearos | Walgreens#

I wear these ear plugs . The good thing about them is they are soft so you can really shove them in your ears and block out the noise .If this doesn't work have you considered a pillow over his face ?
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 08:27 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
Sleep Pretty in Pink Women's Ear Plugs | Hearos | Walgreens#

I wear these ear plugs . The good thing about them is they are soft so you can really shove them in your ears and block out the noise .If this doesn't work have you considered a pillow over his face ?
I have thought about the pillow over his face but I am worried that on the nights that it is really bad that the temptation would be there not to remove it - J/K.

Hmm sounds like I should start getting the spare room ready for a permanent move in.

I be a girl, he's a boy. Think I maybe FIRED since July 08. Mid 40s, no kidlets. Actually am totally clueless as to what is going on with DH.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 10:30 AM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I have the same problem except with my DW. I am a "light" sleeper compounded by the terrible affliction that when awakened (whether it be 30 minutes after falling asleep or eight hours), I am fully rested and up for the day. I buy my ear plugs from Wal Mart. They're called Flents Quiet Time and you can get a package of 50 that block up to 33db for around $10.

Of more importance, however, may be the health concerns regarding your husband. Does he get a "good" nights sleep -- awakening fully rested? If not he, perhaps, should speak with his physician. There are many causes of snoring -- some of them deadly, Apnea, for instance -- and the long term effect of "troubled" sleep is, in any event, generally not a good thing.

Ron
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 11:37 AM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

I slept in the spare bedroom for 2 years because of DW snoring.

She had a sleep study done, turns out she had apnea.

She started using a C-pap machine for sleep but hated it.

She finally had some kind of surgery done to pull her jaw forward and cured the apnea.

That was 5 years ago, it changed her looks somewhat and casused her to have some other problems, she is now not sure if she would do it over again, although it did cure the apnea.

burch64
burch64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 11:52 AM   #7

I had good results with losing weight. Before that, I got some improvement with a bandage over the nose that holds the nostrils open.

I knew a guy once who had a bad snore. After years he did a sleep study and found sleep apnea, which he cured with a throat operation. Once he started getting good sleep for the first time in years, he was more alert and went back to get his degree and started a great career. It completely changed his life.
growing_older is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 12:03 PM   #8

My doctor suggested a sleep apnea study for me and yes, I have it and ended up with a CPAP machine which I LOVE! It stopped all the snoring and a few other problems, that I didn't even know I had.

Hubby mentioned to his doctor that I was going through this and that he had some similar symptoms. He also went for the sleep study, was diagnosed with apnea and now we have matching CPAP machines.

Now there's no snoring at all in our room. Just a quiet little hiss.

Now that it's for both of us, I feel a lot less like a freak.
Sue J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 02:07 PM   #9
Full time employment: Posting here.

I haven't had experience with this, but a friend of mine said that her husband quit snoring after he started using a neti pot regularly. It's a small teapot-looking thing that you use to flush your sinuses with saline. Could be kind of a hard sell, but maybe worth a shot if the earplugs don't do it.

WM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 02:53 PM   #10
Full time employment: Posting here.

I was a loud snorer before I lost considerable weight. Now DH says I don't snore nearly as much.
I use ear plugs when I can't sleep (neighborhood noise can be a problem) and it helps. If the first kind you try don't work, try another, because results can vary depending the shape of your ear canal. I found the best for me at an industrial hardware store.
toofrugalformycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 04:43 PM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

Sleep apnea, as already mentioned has to be taken very seriously! Recent studies have shown that SA can lead directly to diabetes. CPAP is usually a curative measure. Losing wt, diet & excercise all can have a material impact on this condition as well.

Best advice, see your Primary Care MD, ASAP. This could change & perhaps save your life!!!
fmhealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 06:39 PM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

You may want to take a look at this article. Sleep disruptions may up diabetes risk - Yahoo! News
fmhealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 12:20 PM   #13

My DH snores and did not want me to sleep in a separate room. I ended up getting a Honeywell fan and turning it on the highest level at night. The white noise allows me to sleep most of the time. I do not stress out now when I wake up due to his snoring, since I can sleep in due to being retired. I can tell when his weight is up, since the snoring is worse. I have not tried using earplugs, because I thought they would be too uncomfortable. Maybe I will give them a try.
Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 01:08 PM   #14

Brother and SIL made a big deal on the mule trip last summer with our snoring (BF and I) My parents had a few snickers too! Just start snoring too... My apnea is not significant enough to rate a CPAP - have no idea whether BF's is that serious either....we both sleep through it. I wish you well. V/R,

Porky & Petunia Pig
Old 01-03-2008, 03:24 PM   #15

Since moving to Ohio where the winter weather is sort of different than Florida, to say the least. I go to sleep usually about 7 or 8 pm. DW stays up to about 12 then I get up about 5 am and she gets up about 10 am. So we have a couple of separate sleeping periods to get through the night and my snoring is tolerated (somewhat). What with the multiple bathroom trips by both of us I think the bedroom gets the most activity than any other room in the house.
Old 01-03-2008, 04:01 PM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

Breathe right strips. Stop snoring, breathe easier, sleep better.
These work in some cases
Razor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 02:14 PM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

There are many different reasons for snoring. Definitely get him checked out for sleep apnea. Could also be due to sinus problems/allergies, in which case a neti pot, nose strips or a good decongestant might help. If he's only slightly overweight (10 or 20 lbs), losing weight probably won't help, whereas if he's 50 lbs over, it probably will. Surgery is iffy. It's a radical step that might not even work. I think the success ratio for the various surgeries is only about 50%. That's alot of hassle to go through for not good odds of a cure.

My recommendation is to either make your peace with the spare room, or check out earplugs. If you try earplugs and don't like them, don't give up. I have very sensitive ears and I tried at least 5 different kinds before I found ones that I could actually sleep with. I still wake up with sore ears, but I am able to sleep quite well. They don't completely cut out the snoring, but they make it quiet enough that you can sleep through it. The ones I use can only be bought on the web: Advanced NRR 34 high blocking Ear Plugs, Earplugs for Swimming too!. None of the regular ones at the drugstore did it for me. Good luck. I feel your pain.
meridiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 07:11 PM   #18
Administrator

It was my sleep apnea that used to disturb DW more than my snoring - she used to be really worried at times that I wouldn't take that next breath. I was 20lb overweight and as soon as I lost the weight the apnea stopped.

But, they are many reasons for snoring as mentioned in the replies.
Sleep apnea
Old 01-04-2008, 07:33 PM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

Sleep apnea

Have him checked out by an MD in a sleep center (probably major hospital).

This is not a joke. Sleep apnea, over a period of years, can kill. How? By wearing down the body, particularly by the deprevation of normal sleep and REM-state dreaming.

Think of it. Your breathing slowly turns off, and you stop breathing for up to 30 seconds. You're already oxygen deprived, due to the decreased gas exchange, by aa increase of resistant to air flow in the trachea. Since you're asleep (badly), about all your body/brain can do is generate a terrifying nightmare about being chased, strangled or buried alive. You come awake, or almost awake, gasping & snorting for air. You fall back asleep, and the cycle begins again.

So you are exhausted and sickly all day ... day after day ... until some opportunistic virus or bacteria gets past your weakened immune system. One day, your breathing stops ... and doesn't re-start.

Get him tested SOON!
ScooterGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 08:21 PM   #20
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScooterGuy View Post
Have him checked out by an MD in a sleep center (probably major hospital).

This is not a joke. Sleep apnea, over a period of years, can kill. How? By wearing down the body, particularly by the deprevation of normal sleep and REM-state dreaming.

Think of it. Your breathing slowly turns off, and you stop breathing for up to 30 seconds. You're already oxygen deprived, due to the decreased gas exchange, by aa increase of resistant to air flow in the trachea. Since you're asleep (badly), about all your body/brain can do is generate a terrifying nightmare about being chased, strangled or buried alive. You come awake, or almost awake, gasping & snorting for air. You fall back asleep, and the cycle begins again.

So you are exhausted and sickly all day ... day after day ... until some opportunistic virus or bacteria gets past your weakened immune system. One day, your breathing stops ... and doesn't re-start.

Get him tested SOON!
A coworker's husband snored loudly (those who had been on fishing trips with him said people were kept awake two tents over); he wouldn't see a doctor until after he had an auto accident (from falling asleep driving; fortunately nobody was hurt). He had surgery and was much better (this was 20 or so years ago).