Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-16-2010, 01:36 PM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kroeran View Post
Interesting. Like Alan, 0/18, totally left brained. Who would expect this from a retired software engineer?
M Paquette is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-16-2010, 02:39 PM   #22
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Paquette View Post
Interesting. Like Alan, 0/18, totally left brained. Who would expect this from a retired software engineer?
hmmmm... I used to be a Software Engineer - developed systems on computers to control chemical plants. DW took the test and scored 11 / 7 and said she wasn't surprised at all with my score - reckoned I was only 1 question away from being defined as OCD
Old 01-16-2010, 03:49 PM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

My favorite left/right brain test is the spinning woman test: NeuroLogica Blog » Left Brain – Right brain and the Spinning Girl.

First, see what way she naturally spins. Then, see if you can turn her the other direction.

(left and right brain stuff is probably just bunk, except for handedness)

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 05:25 PM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
... reckoned I was only 1 question away from being defined as OCD
... not that there's anything wrong with that.

Let's see what my typical workflow was...

1. Get problem report, or come up with a neat idea and file it as a 'problem report.'
2. Analyze code and determine the set of algorithmic changes to implement whatever is needed to address the problem report.
3. Implement code changes as appropriate.
4. Analyze changes for potential risks, and if any are found, go back to step 2 or 3 as appropriate.
5. Prepare a unit test to exercise changes, if not already covered by test suites. Discuss with Test Engineering as needed.
5. Generate a list of code changes, and possibly review changes with another engineer.
5. Add comments on algorithmic and code changes to problem report.
6. Generate a summary of risks and benefits of the potential changes, and append to problem report.
7. Add changes to the master code base after receiving any needed approvals.

No, nothing there that smacks of obsessive-compulsive behavior. I do have this odd habit of writing lists and checklists, though. That could be leakage from nuclear power training. (Note to self: Ask Nords how long his checklist is for powering up his solar panel system. Is it a grease-pencil laminated checkoff list, or does he use a new form for each startup?)
Old 01-16-2010, 09:12 PM   #25
Administrator

Quote:
... not that there's anything wrong with that.

Let's see what my typical workflow was...

1. Get problem report, or come up with a neat idea and file it as a 'problem report.'
2. Analyze code and determine the set of algorithmic changes to implement whatever is needed to address the problem report.
3. Implement code changes as appropriate.
4. Analyze changes for potential risks, and if any are found, go back to step 2 or 3 as appropriate.
5. Prepare a unit test to exercise changes, if not already covered by test suites. Discuss with Test Engineering as needed.
5. Generate a list of code changes, and possibly review changes with another engineer.
5. Add comments on algorithmic and code changes to problem report.
6. Generate a summary of risks and benefits of the potential changes, and append to problem report.
7. Add changes to the master code base after receiving any needed approvals.

No, nothing there that smacks of obsessive-compulsive behavior. I do have this odd habit of writing lists and checklists, though. That could be leakage from nuclear power training. (Note to self: Ask Nords how long his checklist is for powering up his solar panel system. Is it a grease-pencil laminated checkoff list, or does he use a new form for each startup?)
yep, that sounds like me
Old 01-17-2010, 04:40 PM   #26
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy2bretired View Post
I'm totally left brained (0/18). I'm also left handed. Wonder if that plays a part in all this.
sounds like an interesting anomaly on the face of it.

have you ever explored anything creative, like painting or music?
Kroeran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 04:42 PM   #27

Quote:
you were being facetious, right?

engineers would be expected to be left dominant
Old 01-17-2010, 05:02 PM   #28
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
sounds like an interesting anomaly on the face of it.

have you ever explored anything creative, like painting or music?
Not very much. I did try drawing and probably will try it again at some point. Never played any musical instruments. I'm just weird.
happy2bretired is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 05:05 PM   #29
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orchidflower View Post
Here's a test if anyone is interested:
Right Brain/ Left Brain Quiz
Quote:
I just took both of the tests. Result from both: 100% left brain.

Went back and switch several if not all answers around. Both results: stuck at 100% left brain.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 07:02 PM   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
you were being facetious, right?

engineers would be expected to be left dominant
I'll see if I can get an appointment with Dr. Michael Hfuhruhurr to get the two sides swapped around, then I'll try the test again.

Dr. Michael Hfuhruhurr: Would you read that last bit back to me? I'm afraid it might make me sound pompous to your readers.
Olsen: 'My brilliant research in brain transplantation is unsurpassed, and will probably make my name live beyond eternity'.
Dr. Michael Hfuhruhurr: Oh, no, no; that's good. But take out the 'probably'. It makes me sound wishy-washy.
Old 01-17-2010, 08:06 PM   #31

Quote:
Not very much. I did try drawing and probably will try it again at some point. Never played any musical instruments. I'm just weird.
If you are comfortable in your skin I would not try to fix something that is not broken.

If otherwise, you may wish to explore stimulating your right hemisphere...its possible that it is cranky and feeling neglected
Old 01-18-2010, 09:37 AM   #32

Quote:
If otherwise, you may wish to explore stimulating your right hemisphere...its possible that it is cranky and feeling neglected
Maybe that's what I need. Something out of the ordinary that gives me a little spark. I found this site and will be exploring it a little.

Right Brain Workouts
Old 01-18-2010, 01:16 PM   #33

of course, all this right brain "nonsense" should be safely supressed during middle age and FIRE preparation/execution.

the right hemisphere should be kept carefully chained in the back yard and only let out to run in supervised, fenced dog parks, so to speak.

left hemispheric dominance is associated with social separation, grouchiness, miserliness, linear thinking...all good things when working toward financial independence

however, joy, social connection, empathy, aesthetic sensitivity, is associated with right hemisphere dominance. This can be stimulated with creative activity and the arts, music, charity work or meditation. In my view, learning a musical instrument is "the easy path". (homework - rent the film Harold & Maude)

once financial independence is achieved, that is the moment to take off the psychological straightjacket and run naked in the woods so to speak, or whatever else comes into your head.

There is no longer anyone to answer to or try to impress. The uptight negative personalities in your life will be greatly concerned about your mental health. The more distance you put between yourself and these persons, the better. (save for relationships of duty)
Old 01-18-2010, 02:10 PM   #34

Very well put. I like that. I've lost the "joy" that I had when younger. I have a feeling it's time to bring that back again. One gets so tied/trapped into making a living and accumulating enough to retire, that some where along the path, the joy can disappear. Course this winter doesn't help any either.
Old 01-18-2010, 04:15 PM   #35
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
(Note to self: Ask Nords how long his checklist is for powering up his solar panel system. Is it a grease-pencil laminated checkoff list, or does he use a new form for each startup?)
Can't believe I missed this the first time through.

I had a pretty eye-opening transition going from the aft end to the forward end of the boat (from "Nuclear World" to "Nuclear Destruction"). After months of resistance I finally learned to accept that not everyone uses a new form for each startup, has it reviewed by the chain of command, and then stores it for three years. But I still ask my spouse to second-check my tagouts before I commence work.

I had a tour of the USS TEXAS last month. They take logs with PDAs. Quite a change from the POS venerable platforms that you and I served aboard.

I'll always try to keep my left hand in my pocket when I'm working with the photovoltaic wiring. It only takes a little of that voltage between your right hand and your left to make you reassess your mortality.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 04:37 PM   #36

Quote:
Very well put. I like that. I've lost the "joy" that I had when younger. I have a feeling it's time to bring that back again. One gets so tied/trapped into making a living and accumulating enough to retire, that some where along the path, the joy can disappear. Course this winter doesn't help any either.
this is where I am now...why don' t you come on down?

Paseo Fort Myers

Condos in my neighbourhood (above) start around 160k. In Southwestflorida, you can pick up a NICE house on land for 80k, or a decent flat for as little as 40k.

Life is to short to spend the winter looking out at those grey skys and slipping on ice, or hiding inside from it.

We WERE talking about making friends with your right hemisphere... Florida is about making friends with your R-complex...your inner reptile.
Old 01-19-2010, 10:53 AM   #37

Hey, that looks really tempting. I will be taking a break from this cold weather next month - cruising the Caribbean. Maybe my right brain will wake up a little.
Old 01-19-2010, 07:15 PM   #38

cruising is great, especially if you are an eater, gambler, want to survey the islands, want to pick up women

unless you are serious big bucks though, I think the islands or mexico/central american are problematic for longer term winter escaping

Here are my reasons that SW Florida is the place for snowbirds:

- you can drive there. Car rental is expensive, actually, out of the question for long stays in the islands.
- you don't have to fly there. I can get from Canada to Florida for $75 gas in my civic hybrid.
- relatives/friends that don't fly can drive to visit.
- relatives/friends too poor to fly can drive to visit.
- SW Florida is significantly warmer than the St. Petes/Tampa/Orlando belt in January.
- Florida is very inexpensive and efficient for pretty much anything you need to purchase. You don't really appreciate Walmart until you don't have access to one.
- West coast of Florida is cheaper than East Coast of Florida.
- Its tropical foliage and the gulf, which I think is much nicer than the desert atmosphere of Arizona.
- Great institutional infrastructure and health system.
- English is the language.
- always something to do
- unlimited choice between rural, sub-urban, urban, waterfront, canal, golf course and so on.
- everything selling now below replacement cost.

no need to buy. Renting is even cheaper than buying.