Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-12-2009, 12:30 PM   #241

That was still a very impressive time - well done.

100 yard dash - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

F. C. Saportas 1870 10.5 Official world record
W. C. Wilmer 1878 10.0 Official world record
Arthur Wharton 1886 10.0 Tied official world record
J. Owen, Jr. 1890 9.8 Official world record
D. J. Kelly 1906 9.6 Official world record
Eric Liddell 1924 9.7 British record
Eddie Tolan 1929 9.5 Official world record
Frank Wykoff Chicago June 7, 1930 9.4 Official world record, without starting blocks
Jesse Owens 1933 9.4 Tied the world record, set U.S. high school record
Mel Patton 1948 9.3 Official world record
James Jackson 1954 9.4 Tied U.S. high-school record, Alameda High School in Alameda, California
Ken Irvine 1961 9.3 Tied professional 100 yard world record
Frank Budd 1962 9.2 Official world record
Bob Hayes 1962 9.35
Charles Greene 1967 9.21
Bob Hayes 1964 9.1 Manual time
John Carlos 1969 9.1 Manual time, equalled Hayes's world record
Houston McTear early 1970s 9.0 Unofficial and hand-timed. In 1975 registered a time of 9.30 seconds.
Ivory Crockett 1974 9.0 Manual time

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-12-2009, 12:46 PM   #242
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndependentlyPoor View Post
I'm not mistaken, just sloppy in posting. Back in the dark ages, track in the U.S. was all in yards, not meters, and the difference is significant.
Sure, it's the difference between Usain Bolt and mere mortals, but it's still awfully fast.

Old 09-12-2009, 02:03 PM   #243
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
Sure, it's the difference between Usain Bolt and mere mortals, but it's still awfully fast.
Nah, didn't even qualify for the state track meet. Track competition in south Texas is fierce, since you can train outside all winter long... and we did.

Thanks to Alan for posting the old records. It is amazing how slow the old times were until you see

Frank Wykoff Chicago June 7, 1930 9.4 Official world record, without starting blocks

Yikes! No starting blocks?
Old 09-12-2009, 03:50 PM   #244
Give me a forum ...

I seem to recall in Chariots of Fire that they'd dig two holes for their feet in the cinder, so they still had something to push off against.
Old 09-12-2009, 03:54 PM   #245
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I'm not mistaken, just sloppy in posting. Back in the dark ages, track in the U.S. was all in yards, not meters, and the difference is significant.
I'm impressed with that 100 yd time.

I was in cross country back in the HS days. The sprinters were always the football stars too and got a lot of attention from the opposite sex. We skinny longer distance type guys got even later on in life .
Old 09-12-2009, 04:02 PM   #246

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
I seem to recall in Chariots of Fire that they'd dig two holes for their feet in the cinder, so they still had something to push off against.
Yes, they weren't real hi tech in those days. I remember once reading an article Roger Bannister wrote about when he ran the first sub 4 minute mile. One morning after breakfast (bacon and eggs or something else really ordinary) he just felt good enough to give it a shot and went out and did it. (He was a medical student and knew that once he graduated and started his hospital internship that his running days were over so that he was never going to go to an Olympics or anything).

He was at Wimbleton this year and when they showed him watching the game I was astounded. He looked to be in great shape and younger than me!! (he is over 80)
Old 09-13-2009, 08:46 AM   #247
Give me a forum ...

I never even considered placing in a race; usually started in the back, out of the way of the real runners, often taking two minutes to reach the starting line...

But there were a couple of guys in the over-40s age group who usually finished in the top ten overall, say around 16:00 for a 5k. I didn't have a chance in Hades. But I did beat most of the little old ladies...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 10:28 AM   #248

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
I never even considered placing in a race; usually started in the back, out of the way of the real runners, often taking two minutes to reach the starting line...

But there were a couple of guys in the over-40s age group who usually finished in the top ten overall, say around 16:00 for a 5k. I didn't have a chance in Hades. But I did beat most of the little old ladies...
This just about sums up me. For a number of years I would participate in an annual charity run with about 40 or 50 others from work in a field of about 5,000. It usually took me a couple of minutes to reach the start line. My personal goal was to run the 5k under 30 mins One year I managed 26 mins and one year I only squeaked under my target by 30 seconds.

There is a fund raiser 5k on Thanksgiving Day which DW and I will run in. It has been 14 years since actually running in a race but I'm quite keen to have another go.
Old 09-13-2009, 01:11 PM   #249
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsbcal View Post
MB: nice race stories! I think you should give your DW a handicap though. Take her personal best and yours and subtract the times for her handicap. Then challenge her to a duel to the finish .

She'd win! I'm a lot slower than I was 20 years ago but she is running at almost the same pace! She seems to be aging more gracefully than me. But I benefit from that so I'm not going to complain

I guess we could base it on our PR for say the last year in which case it would be competitive.

I've been trying to arrange a boys vs girls handicap relay race. Me and DS against DW and the 18 year old DD with each person running a mile in 400m leg, e.g. DS runs 400 then I run a 400 and repeat until we've both done a mile.

MB
Old 09-13-2009, 01:22 PM   #250

Quote:
Nah, didn't even qualify for the state track meet. Track competition in south Texas is fierce, since you can train outside all winter long... and we did.

Thanks to Alan for posting the old records. It is amazing how slow the old times were until you see

Yikes! No starting blocks?
Despite you modesty I think that 9.7 is a great time in the 100 (yards).

It might not get you to state in TX or CA or some of the other more competitive states but it is fast enough to win state in some of the smaller states.
Old 04-26-2010, 01:14 PM   #251
Give me a forum ...

Dusting off an old thread. I'm still running. I made a 2nd attempt at a 50 miler in February, and finished it this time. I've got a marathon coming up this weekend in the town I grew up on. My sister-in-law, 4-5 years older than me, will be doing her first one. It's still fun, I'm not getting hurt, it's keeping me thinner and healthy, so why not? My knees feel great, except for whacking one of them on a stone bench at Lowes this weekend. I hope that feels better in a hurry. I don't think I'd try running a race today.
Old 04-26-2010, 01:29 PM   #252
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Ditto that. My running days are over, and I miss it. Running was sort of like meditation for me... enhanced by endorphins.

Back in my salad days (20s and 30s) I ran 9 miles a week, a lap around Austin's Town Lake three times a week.

I was a sprinter in high school: the 100 and 220 yard dashes and sprint relay. (I could run a 9.7 second hundred on a good day.) Our standard workout was to run a 330 (longer than a 220, because the ability to run flat out for the full distance is critical for the 220) then walk the remaining 110 and repeat... 15 times. We had to run the 330 in less than 35 or 36 seconds (memory fails here) or coach made us run it over. Somewhere around number 9 or 10 you generally stepped off the track and barfed, then trotted to catch up with the rest of the gang before the start of the next 330. Then there was a leisurely 880 cool down.

I can't believe we were so dedicated.
Ah..I remember those days of torture on the track. When I was in college, I decided I wanted to train for the 5K as an event. So our distance coach came up with the perfect training aid. Run 400s, the first in 30 seconds and the second in 40 seconds. Repeat until you can't..........

We are talking 4:40 miles here, nothing to sniff at..........I think my best was 8 400's at this pace, and then I blew up. however, it did get me running faster in the 5K..........

I was an 800 meter runner but I used to train half the time with the 400 meter guys, I also high jumped............

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 01:32 PM   #253
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
This just about sums up me. For a number of years I would participate in an annual charity run with about 40 or 50 others from work in a field of about 5,000. It usually took me a couple of minutes to reach the start line. My personal goal was to run the 5k under 30 mins One year I managed 26 mins and one year I only squeaked under my target by 30 seconds.

There is a fund raiser 5k on Thanksgiving Day which DW and I will run in. It has been 14 years since actually running in a race but I'm quite keen to have another go.
5 years ago I got "baited" into running a 5K by two women I worked with in their late 20's. They both ran about 40 miles a week so I thought for sure I was going to get smoked.

I put off running until three weeks before the event, then ran some miles so I could finish the race. I ended up running 27 minutes, which was my worst time ever but beat them both by about 40 seconds. They were not amused.............

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 04:49 PM   #254

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
5 years ago I got "baited" into running a 5K by two women I worked with in their late 20's. They both ran about 40 miles a week so I thought for sure I was going to get smoked.

I put off running until three weeks before the event, then ran some miles so I could finish the race. I ended up running 27 minutes, which was my worst time ever but beat them both by about 40 seconds. They were not amused.............
27 years ago I got "baited" into doing a 42 mile walk across the Yorkshire Moors called the Lye Wake Walk.

My neighbor was a nurse and she told me that she and a bunch of other nurses were planning on doing the walk and would like someone along with some experience of walking. My typical walks were 10 miles max, always with a pub at the end, but the promise of walking with a bunch of fit young nurses won me over.

On the day of the walk DW was in hospital, 6 months pregnant with #2, and resting as she'd had high blood pressure. Baby #1 was an energency C section and she'd had a mis-carriage after that, so they were being very cautious. She insisted I go and not let down the group as they may not have gone without me.

Only 2 of us completed the walk (my neighbor and I) and I did an extra 3 or 4 miles as it looked like we were not going to make it and were well behind schedule so I rushed ahead to the next "meet" point to tell our support person not to worry and that the others would be along shortly, then I went back to help / encourage them.

Although we had agreed to end the attempt we only had 6 miles left and my neighbour really, really wanted to finish it, which we did. I felt great before that last 6 miles but by the time we made it to the last gully and sat down for a break we literally couldn't haul ourselves back up, and got a passing hiker to give us a hand-up. I couldn't believe how much my knees hurt that last 3 miles and was really hobbling badly when we visited DW on the way back.

I had a hot bath, a LONG sleep and was perfectly okay next day. But have never had the urge to do another 15 hour hike.
Old 04-27-2010, 06:35 AM   #255

I'm doing 4 miles, 3 times a week. After a winter on the treadmill, I'm finding running outdoors to be more difficult. The ankle that I broke last year feels sore after every run, but it feels fine after a couple of days off. Not looking at doing any marathons, half marathons or even 10k's. Just want to get a balanced cardio workout with biking and lose 10 pounds
Old 04-27-2010, 08:33 AM   #256

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb View Post
Despite you modesty I think that 9.7 is a great time in the 100 (yards).

It might not get you to state in TX or CA or some of the other more competitive states but it is fast enough to win state in some of the smaller states.
From 1966-1979, that time of 9.7 for the 100 yd dash would put you in the winner's circle at States in Virginia except for 2 or 3 years, in which some freak of nature ran a 9.4. I was trying to check the times in NY State where my brother was a sprinter in high school (200 and 400 yards) and went to the Penn Relays a few years, but I recall a 9.7 time to be exceptionally fast those days.
Old 04-28-2010, 06:38 AM   #257

None.