Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-18-2007, 06:02 PM   #61
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_in_Tampa View Post
Looks like Newguy888 has met his match!

Welcome to the board.
Thanks. I don't think I quite match up to Newguy888. I think I've done one or two 65 mile weeks, but never regularly. Hopefully in ER I'll be able to do as I plan, but until then it's just talk.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-18-2007, 06:35 PM   #62
gone traveling

Welcome to the board runningbum.

More milesthe better. I find the older I get 51 now the more miles I want to run.
dumpster56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 06:17 AM   #63
Recycles dryer sheets

Reached a new goal this week.. ! Hit six miles yesterday ... I figure I am doing pretty good for an old guy. Legs feel very good and looks like I will do it again today. How do you get to the really long distances ? I have never really ran more than 14 - 15 even in my best shape.. I was actually a competitive swimmer from age 8 thru 21 so always focused on that.
xyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 06:40 AM   #64
gone traveling

14 or 15 mile runs ARE long runs. Just keep building the time you are out running. I noticed last night that I did not sleep well. I think I am a bit over trained. Ran 10 miles yesterday and almost 70 miles for the past week. Ran about 240 miles in June. Time to cut down some mileage this week and swim a bit more. Plus its hot as all get out. 95 everyday. How many more weeks of this heat? 8 ,10? Ohboy.
Old 07-06-2007, 09:46 AM   #65
Recycles dryer sheets

When I was in the Marines going through demo school, we had this Chief Warrant Officer, that could run 3 miles in 15 minutes flat, and he would utterly destroy us on 15 mile runs. The guy was pushing 50 too and would raise hell that 20 year olds would fall back on his runs. He would run us up this large mountain on base too. Guy was worse then boot camp for PT.

I wish I could run now, but I don't think my back could handle it. I have started lifting weights again (very carefully) because I want to be in much better shape for retirement.

Not really sure what I can do to really get my heart rate up with my lower back so messed up though, may have to go the eliptical or bike route.
Bigritchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 09:53 AM   #66
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigritchie View Post
When I was in the Marines going through demo school, we had this Chief Warrant Officer, that could run 3 miles in 15 minutes flat, and he would utterly destroy us on 15 mile runs. The guy was pushing 50 too and would raise hell that 20 year olds would fall back on his runs. He would run us up this large mountain on base too. Guy was worse then boot camp for PT.

I wish I could run now, but I don't think my back could handle it. I have started lifting weights again (very carefully) because I want to be in much better shape for retirement.

Not really sure what I can do to really get my heart rate up with my lower back so messed up though, may have to go the eliptical or bike route.
What is the diagnosis of the back issue?
Old 07-06-2007, 11:36 AM   #67
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by xyz View Post
Reached a new goal this week.. ! Hit six miles yesterday ... I figure I am doing pretty good for an old guy. Legs feel very good and looks like I will do it again today. How do you get to the really long distances ? I have never really ran more than 14 - 15 even in my best shape.. I was actually a competitive swimmer from age 8 thru 21 so always focused on that.
Great! Always nice to break a barrier and get to a new goal. Bump your long run 10-15% each week, but every 3rd week drop back. So next week you could do a 7 miler, the following week an 8 miler, and after that drop back to 6. Then you could go 9, 10, 8 in the next 3 weeks, and so on. Shorter runs on other days, though one other fairly long run helps. I used Hal Higdon's marathon training program (Hal Higdon) to go from a 10 miler to a marathoner in 4 months. And he says you can start from 6 miles if you can run that comfortably.
Old 07-06-2007, 12:35 PM   #68
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by newguy888 View Post
What is the diagnosis of the back issue?
I broke my lower back in 4 places, with plenty of cracks throughout and my spine is pushed forward about 2 inches of my pelvis. It was about 10 years ago, and depending on how much I am on my feet it feels like I have a grenade exploding in my back when I move sometimes. Got my spleen cut out too and broke a lot of ribs.

I can get around ok now, but if I am on my feet for a while it gets pretty nasty.
Bigritchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Bikers
Old 07-06-2007, 01:50 PM   #69
Recycles dryer sheets

Bikers

I don't mean Harley folk. I have refound the joy of two wheels this summer on the road and on a compacted crushed limestone canal path that will eventually stretch over 100 miles from the shore of Lake Erie deep into S.E. Ohio. DW asnd I do the path with her on a hybrid and me on my Gary Fisher (slicks on the rims to keep the limestone out of my eyes) and I do roads on my Trek. On Sunday, I plan to reprise a 75 mile ride I used to do over to our family reunion. Temps will be 90's by noon. Haven't done it for @ ten years. I am confident but will be packing the cell with DW coming along at some point with the picnic basket and room for me if necessary. Wish me luck. Any other bikers out there?
windsurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 07:40 PM   #70
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by windsurf View Post
I don't mean Harley folk. I have refound the joy of two wheels this summer on the road and on a compacted crushed limestone canal path that will eventually stretch over 100 miles from the shore of Lake Erie deep into S.E. Ohio. DW asnd I do the path with her on a hybrid and me on my Gary Fisher (slicks on the rims to keep the limestone out of my eyes) and I do roads on my Trek. On Sunday, I plan to reprise a 75 mile ride I used to do over to our family reunion. Temps will be 90's by noon. Haven't done it for @ ten years. I am confident but will be packing the cell with DW coming along at some point with the picnic basket and room for me if necessary. Wish me luck. Any other bikers out there?

Sounds fantastic. 5 to 6 hours. Enjoy!
Old 07-06-2007, 08:07 PM   #71
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by windsurf View Post
Any other bikers out there?
Bicycle commuting 1979-2006 (until retirement), touring since 1982,
mainly out of the Los Angeles area.

Sounds like a great ride.
Old 07-07-2007, 12:01 PM   #72
Administrator

Quote:
Any other bikers out there?
DW and I enjoy biking, but I don't believe we are quite in your league. At weekends we usually get in a couple of rides of around 20 miles. Come RE we hope to do a lot more. Interestingly enough I find that it is good for my back.
Old 07-07-2007, 12:03 PM   #73
Full time employment: Posting here.

I love to run and cycle. Currently building up miles on the bike for the Seattle to Vancouver ride in August and Tour de Whidbey in September. Last year did the Seattle to Portland. Have run lots of 5k, 10k and the Seattle 1/2 and full marathon. Also did some team running - Mt. Rainer to Pacific relays (those are fun!). Would love to do more, but work gets in the way. I also lead Spin classes 3x a week and sub yoga classes when needed (BTW - really recommend yoga to runners and cyclists). Looking forward to RE in 13 months....already have a list of events .... RAMROD, Whidbey Island Marathon, Lake Stevens Ironman 70.3, etc.
Old 07-07-2007, 12:05 PM   #74
Recycles dryer sheets

[QUOTE=Alan;533358]DW and I enjoy biking, but I don't believe we are quite in your league. At weekends we usually get in a couple of rides of around 20 miles.

20 miles is a very nice ride and quite enough for a good workout!
windsurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 01:34 PM   #75
Administrator

[quote=windsurf;533360]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
20 miles is a very nice ride and quite enough for a good workout!
We usually have a cafe stop part way as well
Old 07-07-2007, 04:08 PM   #76
gone traveling

Ever done a beer bike marathon? We had to ride 26.2 miles and hit 10 different bars along the way and drink 1 beer at each one.
Old 07-07-2007, 04:10 PM   #77
Give me a forum ...

I've done pub runs. 4-5 miles bars, ~ mile run between each bar in and around downtown Austin.
Old 07-07-2007, 06:14 PM   #78
Administrator

I've done plenty pub crawls before
Old 07-07-2007, 09:03 PM   #79

The following thread is about bicycling,

MB

The Ride's the Thing ( 1 2)
mb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 08:10 AM   #80

I was running around 30 miles a week until I recently developed peroneal tendonitis in my right foot. Has anyone had any issues with this? I am supposed to lay off running for several weeks. The outside edge of the foot is very painful at times, often just to walk or stand with more weight on the right foot. The odd part of it is that it does not bother me much when I run, mainly after and when I first walk on it in the mornings.
Lakedog is offline   Reply With Quote