Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-10-2008, 07:04 AM   #121
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Today I walked over 10 miles, from Uwajimaya in the International district, up and across Capitol Hill and north on 23rd into the U District where I got an iced tea.

I also run a little-only on a track, and as fast as I can for a 220, then walk 220, etc. till I am tired. I loathe jogging. I have told myself it will wreck my knees so I have an excuse other than sloth for not doing it. I also like to jump rope with AC/DC on my mp3 player.

Ha
LOL. I'm just now reading this thread. You don't seem like the AC/DC type for some reason. 10 miles is a lot.

I walk 2-3 miles at a time with my mutt. Sometimes twice a day on non golfing days. I don't walk while playing golf though. Wouldn't be able to keep up with all my riding buddies.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-10-2008, 07:24 AM   #122
Give me a forum ...

I walk whenever they let me, and usually only play when I'm allowed to walk. A friend of mine lives on the #14 tee, and one time he was chatting with a twosome that was coming through, and they said "We'd better go, there's a kid who's been on our tail the past few holes, even though he's walking!" My friend had a beer ready for me and I gave the two guys a buffer before I teed off again.

It's nice to be called a kid every once in awhile!
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 09:58 AM   #123
Give me a forum ...

If you are looking for a workout plan or just want to compare the aerobic benefits of various exercises then a good book is Cooper's The Aerobics Program for Total Well-Being. With the tables in this book I can, for instance, tell how long and at what speed I have to swim to get an equivalent workout to running. You can buy it used for a cheap price at Amazon.
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 01:30 PM   #124
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Do you guys eat anything special after a run? I usually eat a piece of grilled chicken breast and some fruit. I just curious since alot of times Im pretty hungry after a run.
Notmuchlonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 01:56 PM   #125
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notmuchlonger View Post
Do you guys eat anything special after a run? I usually eat a piece of grilled chicken breast and some fruit. I just curious since alot of times Im pretty hungry after a run.
I used to be a big fan of dill dip and fresh celery after a run, along with a lot of cold water.......

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 02:13 PM   #126
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I've heard from a couple different sources recently that chocolate milk right after a run helps with sore muscles. I've tried it and it seems to work pretty well but I can't quantify it. It's not like all soreness is gone.

Carbs and proteins after running is supposed to be good. The sooner the better. So basically chocolate milk and a roast beef or turkey sandwich is something I'll have often after a run.

I've seen people make these high protein mixes and down them right after running. I haven't gotten that scientific. I even use honey instead of gu for a boost during a race or long run. I've read that it's much the same, and I like that it's natural, I love the taste and know my body handles it well, and it's cheaper!
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 02:22 PM   #127
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Do you guys eat anything special after a run?
I usually take 2 tablespoons of Pepto-Bismol. Usually does the job.
Old 01-11-2008, 09:16 PM   #128
gone traveling

Food after a run? Nothing special. Sometimes I might run 10 miles and not eat after. Lose appetite after longer runs. Later in the day might make sure I had a good piece of seafood. Good whole grain bread or better yet some real good whole grain whiskey.
dumpster56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 10:34 PM   #129
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Heh.....I'm kinda fond of fajitas! Course, I don't have to wait for a run to eat that, pretty much any old time will do. This week, I ran a whopping total of 6 miles! I know it ain't much, but for a 50 year old, 250 lb. guy who's been relatively sedentary over the last 15 years, it's a start. I do about 55 crunches, 40 push ups and run 1.5 miles. That pretty much does me in for a little while. I have noticed that when I'm running, I don't catch that "second wind" thing like I did when I was younger. Used to be, when I was in my mid-late 20's I could run till I was getting tired, then all of a sudden, from out of nowhere, I seemed to kick into a higher gear and was breathing normally and my legs got new life. That phenomenon doesn't happen to me anymore. I sure wish it would!:confused:

“Hard work never killed anybody, but why take a chance?” - Edgar Bergen
martyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 06:23 AM   #130
Recycles dryer sheets

Martyb, I can feel for you... I am about 1.5 years older than you and was in the same place as you last year.. I started running just a half mile per day and now I am up to 6 mile runs... Just keep at it and it will come back.

As far as eating after a run, I lose my appetite when I work out and usally drink a lot of water to replenish what I lost after.
xyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 09:09 AM   #131
Give me a forum ...

I need to and will get back into it. This thread has made me miss running........

Well, after I get the plantar facitis handled.........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 09:35 AM   #132
Moderator Emeritus

I quit running 13 years ago after 15 years of regular running. I fell into the mindset that I was getting too old to run. This forum convinced me that a person can do what they want to do regardless of age. So I started running again Jan 1, and I'm up to 16 miles per week.
Ronstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 10:08 AM   #133
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
I quit running 13 years ago after 15 years of regular running. I fell into the mindset that I was getting too old to run. This forum convinced me that a person can do what they want to do regardless of age. So I started running again Jan 1, and I'm up to 16 miles per week.
Ronstar, congratulations! The general rule I've read is to increase your mileage at no more then 10% per week. That's assuming you intend this as a long term activity . You might consider staying at your current mileage or even dropping back a little for several weeks before ramping up further.

When I stop running, because of say a vacation, I'll give myself at least that same amount of time to get back up to my goal area of around 20 mi/week. This depends a lot on your age too. Just pay attention to any symptoms. Occasionaly I'll go well above the 10% rule but never for several weeks in a row.
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 01:59 PM   #134
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
Congratulations! As other's have mentioned don't try to do too much too fast. A few years ago my brother also restarted running after a 25 year break. He's almost back to where he was. It helps a lot if you didn't put on too many pounds during your break.
dmpi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 02:41 PM   #135

Quote:
Originally Posted by xyz View Post
I have been running about 24 miles a week for the past several months going to start training for a short triathlon over the next 6 months. I'm pretty slow (actually very slow) my goal is to come up somewhere in the middle of the pack. Based on the splits I have seen I feel pretty good I will be able to do that. Any tips for a first time tri?
(1) Don't panic on the swim. It is very different than in the pool. You will have people swimming around you and I can pretty much guarantee that you will get hit and kicked a couple of time unless you start in the back or off to the side. I have had my googles kicked off. DW once had someone swim over the top of her. A water polo player told me that the proper counter move when this happens is to reach up grab their speedos and twist really hard.

(2) If you are going to wear a wet suit practice swimmming in it and also taking it off quickly. You don't need to train in it just get comfortable in it.

(3) Practice swim navigation. It is much harder to swim in the right direction in the open water than one would think and you don't want to be popping your head up all the time to determine if you are going in the right direction because it slows you down a lot. I tend to pull to the right and I didn't know this until I starting doing open water swims so I try to position myself on the left side of the pack so that when I breath I can use the pack as a navigation guide. It helps to breath on both sides.

(4) It is a lot easier to drink and eat on the bike and keep it down than on the run. For a sprint distance race I typically just have a water bottle on my bike with gator-aid or something. I'll grab water at the aid stations on the run if I feel like it but I'm not sure it is really doing any good at that point because it takes about 20 minutes for your body to absorb water and I run a 5k (the typical sprint distance run) faster than that. Going out to international distance I'll add a Gu or two on the bike and more water/sports drinks. For full ironman races (I don't do them) you need to carefully plan your hydration and calorie intake or you will not finish.

(5) Do "Bricks." A brick is a bike/run workout. Physically I think the toughest thing in a tri is to get off the bike and start the run. Your legs feel like wet noodles for the first mile or so. Bricks train your legs for the bike run transition.

MB
mb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 02:46 PM   #136

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsbcal View Post
Ronstar, congratulations! The general rule I've read is to increase your mileage at no more then 10% per week. That's assuming you intend this as a long term activity . You might consider staying at your current mileage or even dropping back a little for several weeks before ramping up further.

When I stop running, because of say a vacation, I'll give myself at least that same amount of time to get back up to my goal area of around 20 mi/week. This depends a lot on your age too. Just pay attention to any symptoms. Occasionaly I'll go well above the 10% rule but never for several weeks in a row.
Yes, the 10% rule is a good rule. But increasing your mileage 10% a week for many weeks in a row is scaling up much to fast.

If you are increasing your mileage some (including Alberto Salazar IRRC) recommend not increasing it by more than 10% a month.

MB
Old 01-19-2008, 03:03 PM   #137
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb View Post
Yes, the 10% rule is a good rule. But increasing your mileage 10% a week for many weeks in a row is scaling up much to fast.

If you are increasing your mileage some (including Alberto Salazar IRRC) recommend not increasing it by more than 10% a month.

MB
That 10% rule, hummmm....

Lets see 18 the week I got sick, 27 the next week starting to get better, 49 the next week felt well pretty good last week 53 feeling even better. this week near 60 miles. I was running 60 to 63 miles a week for the past bunch of years though. I have gone from 60 to 80 in a week with little trouble, however weeks on end of 75+ and there is hell to pay, I usually get injured at that mileage. Your body will tell you its limits. Listen to it.
Old 01-19-2008, 03:09 PM   #138

I have just started to run consistently again after have planatar fasciitis.

I'm running 5 day/week and getting in about 25 miles. Most of it at a pretty slow pace pace because speed still bothers my foot.

The plan is to keep it at that level for a month or two to make sure that nothing "breaks" and then add a track/interval workout once a week and a long run on the weekend.

MB
Old 01-19-2008, 03:16 PM   #139

Quote:
Originally Posted by newguy888 View Post
That 10% rule, hummmm....

Lets see 18 the week I got sick, 27 the next week starting to get better, 49 the next week felt well pretty good last week 53 feeling even better. this week near 60 miles. I was running 60 to 63 miles a week for the past bunch of years though. I have gone from 60 to 80 in a week with little trouble, however weeks on end of 75+ and there is hell to pay, I usually get injured at that mileage. Your body will tell you its limits. Listen to it.
True, my mileage jumps around a lot too. The 10% rule is probably most appropiate if you are trying to up your mileage from a base level to a higher average mileage if for example you are preparing for a marathon and a moving average is probably better than week to week values.

Veteran runners are usually pretty good at knowing what they should and shouldn't do. I'm generally pretty good at knowing what I should and shouldn't do but not always at doing it which is how I got planatar fasciitis

MB
Old 01-19-2008, 03:19 PM   #140
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb View Post
True, my mileage jumps around a lot too. The 10% rule is probably most appropiate if you are trying to up your mileage from a base level to a higher average mileage if for example you are preparing for a marathon and a moving average is probably better than week to week values.

Veteran runners are usually pretty good at knowing what they should and shouldn't do. I'm generally pretty good at knowing what I should and shouldn't do but not always at doing it which is how I got planatar fasciitis

MB

Roll that bottle under your foot and take some of those Blue liqua gel advils. good luck with the PF. It is stinko!