Join Early Retirement Today

So how many miles a week are you running now?
Old 05-20-2007, 06:48 AM   #1
gone traveling

So how many miles a week are you running now?

Wonder if there are any runners out here in ER land.

I am now averaging between 60 and 70 miles a week. At 51 yo I am running more miles than many of my high school athelets that I coach. Oh we missed the state championship last evening by 8 points here in north carolina!!

A great group of high school kids, worked their tails off this spring season. Lost 113 to 108 points .
dumpster56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: So how many miles a week are you running now?
Old 05-20-2007, 07:19 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Wow, that is great! I only make about 10 miles/week. I run on the indoor track at my gym, the treadmill, and outdoors, for variety. I am just starting and working on increasing my distances.

My favorite activity is the weight machines at the gym. I tend to work more at those than at running because I feel I am better at the weight machines, but running is so good for the heart.

Speaking of which, I'm outta here!

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 08:22 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

About 15 per week, though my "run" is most people's walk, like a 10:30 pace, 4-5 miles.

I love the heart rate monitor to guide my intensity range. Love the iPod for music or podcasts. In fact, I am enjoying running more than I ever have before. I think the heart rate monitor keeps me honest -- I don't push too hard (which always leads me to minor injuries) but I can't slack too much without a reminder. Plus, in the heat and humidity it keeps me safe.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 08:41 AM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Used to run about 12mi/wk, but my knees like bicycling better...

60-70 miles!!??

What fer?

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 08:57 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_in_Tampa
About 15 per week, though my "run" is most people's walk, like a 10:30 pace, 4-5 miles.

I love the heart rate monitor to guide my intensity range. Love the iPod for music or podcasts. In fact, I am enjoying running more than I ever have before. I think the heart rate monitor keeps me honest -- I don't push too hard (which always leads me to minor injuries) but I can't slack too much without a reminder. Plus, in the heat and humidity it keeps me safe.
My "run" is at a pretty sedate pace, as well. I am trying to increase time and distance first, then speed will come later. I forgot to say that my running is only indoors at the gym during the heat of the summer.

I should get an ipod, I suppose. Part of my problem with running (as opposed to weights) is that it is boring. There is music at the gym, but that doesn't solve the boredom problem for me. I hadn't really thought about podcasts until you mentioned them but I think they might help.

Guess that would help with the boredom. With the weight machines, I am always going from one machine to the other, focusing on my breathing, and such, and I just don't get as bored for some reason. I get a tremendous kick out of my gradual improvement on the weight machines.

Old 05-20-2007, 10:27 AM   #6
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR
Used to run about 12mi/wk, but my knees like bicycling better...

60-70 miles!!??

What fer?

Funny you ask, been running since sixth grade about 40 years, had a cardiac cath 5 years ago when I had pericarditis a viral infection around my heart to find clear coronary arteries, so it seems the awful genes my parents have given me are still being kept in check by running my fool rear off.

Plus every mile I run means I can drink that many beers a day. Lets ee I ran 10 miles this morning.Hummm 10 beers today? NOT!
Old 05-20-2007, 10:37 AM   #7
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by newguy888
Lets ee I ran 10 miles this morning.Hummm 10 beers today?
How many minutes did it take to complete 10 miles this morning? Did you take a rest in between?
Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 10:42 AM   #8
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam
How many minutes did it take to complete 10 miles this morning? Did you take a rest in between?
80 mins, 8 min miles today, non stop. A real nice run this morning.

60 degrees sunny light breeze.
Old 05-20-2007, 10:55 AM   #9

Quote:
Show off.

Old 05-20-2007, 06:12 PM   #10

Quote:

60 degrees sunny light breeze.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lets-retire
Show off.
Wow. Very impressive for a guy over 50. I would show off too if I can do it. The best I can do is 65 miles non stop in a little less than 5 hours on a bicycle. Nothing to brag about
Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 06:57 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire
I hadn't really thought about podcasts until you mentioned them but I think they might help.
NPR, Ray Lucia, Economist, Wall Street J, and a few others come to mind on the news/FIRE front, but there are quite a few free comedy podcasts and others. I actually prefer these to music when I run. Makes the time go by quickly.

Just yesterday I ran my longest run since buying the $30 Nike-iPod gizmo (reads out your time, distance, pace, etc) and Lance Armstrong came on congratulating me. Didn't know he cared.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Old 05-20-2007, 07:16 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
NPR, Ray Lucia, Economist, Wall Street J, and a few others come to mind on the news/FIRE front, but there are quite a few free comedy podcasts and others. I actually prefer these to music when I run. Makes the time go by quickly.

Just yesterday I ran my longest run since buying the $30 Nike-iPod gizmo (reads out your time, distance, pace, etc) and Lance Armstrong came on congratulating me. Didn't know he cared.
I'll start looking around to see what free podcasts might be available. Thanks! I'll pass on the Nike-iPod gizmo, since my feet seem to require a certain model of New Balance for some reason. They talk, I listen, and unfortunately they tell me "no Nikes!".

Old 05-20-2007, 07:27 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire
I'll pass on the Nike-iPod gizmo, since my feet seem to require a certain model of New Balance for some reason. They talk, I listen, and unfortunately they tell me "no Nikes!".
FWIW, I run in New Balance shoes. A little $5 pouch (which I bought at the New Balance store, BTW) which velcros to the laces does the trick. You can use it with any shoes you want.

Old 05-20-2007, 08:03 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
FWIW, I run in New Balance shoes. A little $5 pouch (which I bought at the New Balance store, BTW) which velcros to the laces does the trick. You can use it with any shoes you want.
How cool!! Thanks again. I'll check it out.

Old 05-20-2007, 08:35 PM   #15
gone traveling

Nope no gizmos no ipod just shorts a tank top and good running shoes, maybe a bandana on the head and some shades on the eyes. Music is in my head.

Little feet, an old song feet don't fail me now.
Old 05-20-2007, 09:11 PM   #16
Full time employment: Posting here.

Currently about 15 miles a week of running. I'm recovering from a pulled hamstring. Hopefully in about a month or two I'll be back at about 35 miles a week.

I also bike 1-2 times (usually 30-40 miles per ride) and swim 1-2 times a week (usually about a mile per swim).

The last two years have not been good for my running. Pre-injuries I was running 38:00-39:00 for 10k and 18:00-19:00 for 5k. Certainly not world class but respectable for a 49 year old and good enough for an occasional age group victory in some of the smaller road races.

I will be moving into the 50 year old age group soon and would like to get back in shape to see how I can do in that age group.

No way no i-Pods for me. I would much rather just run. Just me and my Asics.

So Newguy how has ER effected your running?

MB
mb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 04:12 AM   #17
gone traveling

[qumuch rather just run. Just me and my Asics.

So Newguy how has ER effected your running?

MB
[/quote]

I have been able to increase my weekly mileage, and get better rest, not having to run at 4am then drive 1 and 1/2 hours to work.

I coached a high school track team this past 4 months and finished saturday, so now I really can run more miles!

In fact I just got back from a 3 mile early morning run and I think I will take the sports medicine teaching sub job today at the high school 5 miles down the road. Might even run there and back.

Oh I picked up a new pair of asics yesterday the 2120 model shoe they felt good on the run this morning, I had to break them in so I just had to get up with the birds this morning!
Old 05-21-2007, 05:42 AM   #18

The last time I started increasing my mileage, I got to about 10-15 miles per week and all of the old lower extremity injuries started aching, especially after my longer run. I repeatedly injured my right ankle and my left knee when I was younger, so walking becomes difficult. I even tried maintaining the distance for several weeks to let my body get used to it, but alas it didn't. That was on asphalt now the only thing nearby to run on is concrete, so I limit my running to a 4 or 5 miles per week, and pick up the slack with the elliptical and weights. Even running that small distance I can feel the aching start.
Old 05-21-2007, 06:20 AM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by lets-retire
so I limit my running to a 4 or 5 miles per week, and pick up the slack with the elliptical and weights. Even running that small distance I can feel the aching start.
The elliptical has really helped to strengthen my knees and legs a whole lot, and it has added a bounce to my step! Good decision to include it in your workout. (I reluctantly get on it 3-4 times a week, only because I really like the results). Maybe it would help to alternate walking and running. I think walking on concrete might be easier on the joints than running on concrete.

Old 05-21-2007, 07:28 AM   #20

For 20 years I ran l4 miles a week. Since I rarely changed my routine, I figure that's about 14000 miles (at 50 weeks per year). I stopped because of my knees and my feet. Now, I walk 25 miles a week, usually on the treadmill at a pace of 4.2 mph. The knees still creak, but it's doable.

Disclaimer: My Posts are for my amusement only.
Eagle43 is offline   Reply With Quote