Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Re: So how many miles a week are you running now?
Old 05-21-2007, 07:49 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I walk 35+ miles per week. I try to keep to a daily minimum of about 6, and occasionally do 10 or so. I prefer to do it in 2 or 3 shorter walks each day, but sometimes I know I won't get to return to it so I just push on. This would only work for a retiree.

Yesterday it was raining, so I went about 5 miles in a big multilevel mall and an adjoining “vertical mall”. This gives me the opportunity to do some stair climbing and some nice girl watching while I work out.

I also jump rope, jump up and down, do whatever to get my heart really pumping 2 or 3 times a week. I want to keep the capacity to do short bursts of anaerobic power. Getting out and running long distances is just not my thing, though I am quite impressed by those who are doing this.

Ha
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-21-2007, 07:56 AM   #22
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaHa
...some nice girl watching...
Ha
What always kept me going in road races was to, ahem, "focus" on a cute hiney an object several yards in front on me...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 02:07 PM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by lets-retire
The last time I started increasing my mileage, I got to about 10-15 miles per week and all of the old lower extremity injuries started aching, especially after my longer run. I repeatedly injured my right ankle and my left knee when I was younger, so walking becomes difficult. I even tried maintaining the distance for several weeks to let my body get used to it, but alas it didn't. That was on asphalt now the only thing nearby to run on is concrete, so I limit my running to a 4 or 5 miles per week, and pick up the slack with the elliptical and weights. Even running that small distance I can feel the aching start.
I have had similar issues. I still run 10-15 miles per week outside but the joints aren't happy. So, I also use an eliptical several times per week. I think I will gradually migrate to the eliptical trainer completely over the next 10 years. The eliptical will give you a good cardio workout and it is very easy on the joints. I also do yoga twice a week. Yoga is great for flexibility and stretching and it has improved my running time and distance.
janeeyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 03:19 PM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

My joints aren't too fond of running either. Recently I started "spinning" classes - and I am now totally addicted. I'm up to 5-6 hours per week - trying to free up my sked to sneak in another 1 or 2!
genghis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 03:43 PM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

Since I have been closing in on ER, I've wanted to get into better shape. What's the fun in being retired if you can't get out and do things.

So..... I set a goal for 2007 to average "3 a day," or 1095 miles this year. So far, I have been fortunate enough to be ahead of this number! I alternate longer and shorter days, and take 1 or 2 days off each week. I usually walk on my "off" days.

Old 05-23-2007, 08:59 PM   #26
Full time employment: Posting here.

My wife and I both run 25 miles/week. We normally run at around 8:55/min. We try to run one 5K, one 10K and one Marathron a year. We also walk about 10 miles/week.
dmpi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 01:48 AM   #27
Full time employment: Posting here.

I'll be lucky to do 6 miles per week on the treadmill at the Y along with a few sessions on the elliptical. The back doesn't like hard surface running. Bike around 40 mi/wk and lap swim about 2 mi/wk to balance it out.
TargaDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 07:56 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam View Post
Wow. Very impressive for a guy over 50. I would show off too if I can do it. The best I can do is 65 miles non stop in a little less than 5 hours on a bicycle. Nothing to brag about
Don't diss yourself........there'sa LOT of folks out there that you would leave in the dust........

I raced bikes for two years, mainly crits and road races under 50 miles.......

Best 100 mile ride was 5 hours 30 minutes,but that was 20 years ago!!!

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 08:29 AM   #29
Give me a forum ...

I only run if something is chasing me, and then I only take off if i'm sure I can outrun whatever it is and just standing my ground and kicking its ass isnt an option.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 10:27 AM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

I can't run any more due to pain from multiple shoulder replacements. I can walk without too much pain and try to do 16-20 miles a week. I had cancer surgery at the end of January and am now just getting my stamina back to where I was before the surgery.

2soon
2soon2tell is offline   Reply With Quote
meniscectomy
Old 05-25-2007, 04:00 PM   #31
Recycles dryer sheets

meniscectomy

Is anybody running long term after a meniscectomy (removal of a portion of the cartilage on either the medial or lateral aspect of the knee)?? I had a posterior tear of the medial meniscus about seven years ago and stopped running for fear of precipitating arthritic changes. I have played a lot of tennis since then and do heavy weight bearing exercises but I did stop running on the roads and trails. No problem so far. I would love to get back into some trail running (softer surface). Any advice/experience on this issue? I know some folks who ended up "bone on bone" who never ran further than from the car to a store in a rain storm so I know there must also be some metabolic and biomechanic issues involved sometimes. :confused:
windsurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 04:10 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by windsurf View Post
Is anybody running long term after a meniscectomy (removal of a portion of the cartilage on either the medial or lateral aspect of the knee)?? I had a posterior tear of the medial meniscus about seven years ago and stopped running for fear of precipitating arthritic changes. I have played a lot of tennis since then and do heavy weight bearing exercises but I did stop running on the roads and trails. No problem so far. I would love to get back into some trail running (softer surface). Any advice/experience on this issue? I know some folks who ended up "bone on bone" who never ran further than from the car to a store in a rain storm so I know there must also be some metabolic and biomechanic issues involved sometimes. :confused:
Did your doctor give you any guidance on this? (I have no idea.) Did you get any physical therapy afterwards?

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 04:21 PM   #33
Recycles dryer sheets

Well, physical therapy for this is not much of an issue if you are active anyway. I am a life long weight lifter (fitness, not bodybuilidng per se). the main issue as to p. t., I think, would be to reduce weight if you were obese. Standard ortho advice is don't run which usually comes from docs who don't run. I have read some of the studies but am confounded by much of it. What I am looking for is anecdotal from runners who have run after the surgery. I know that there have to be lots b/c athletes can be obsessive and ignore conventional medical advice. (example: I also had some groin pain which was diagnosed as hip arthritis. The orthopod told me to quit tennis and take vioxx. I didn't take the vioxx which proved to be a good move since it has since been implicated for causing cardiac issues. I cut down on tennis til a year passed when the pain disappeared. Serial xrays over the next three years showed equal joint space in both hips and no further problem. The point: if I had followed the original advice, I would have resigned myself to couch potato status and taken an expensive bad drug. I would not be competing in tennis and would probably be overweight and depressed for lack of activity.
windsurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 07:52 PM   #34
gone traveling

I have a partially torn acl, 51 been running over 40 years tore the ACL in the mid 1970s!!! No surgery no work on the knees, no pain did all kinds of weight work on the legs, and hey I still put in 60+ mile weeks. I did quit the cutting sports tennis, rollerblading, snowboarding etc.
dumpster56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 08:33 PM   #35
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

i have never learned to run distances - but after seeing yall's posts i got off my tush and walked my hilly neighborhood - thanks for the inspiration!!! if i do it 4/5 days during the work week i should get in about 10 miles...half of it up hills...good start since the farthest i'd been getting was the 20 ft to my office from my bedroom, 15 feet from the office to the kitchen, or the few laps around the local mall with a stroller!!
Old 05-26-2007, 06:14 AM   #36
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by bright eyed View Post
i have never learned to run distances - but after seeing yall's posts i got off my tush and walked my hilly neighborhood - thanks for the inspiration!!! if i do it 4/5 days during the work week i should get in about 10 miles...half of it up hills...good start since the farthest i'd been getting was the 20 ft to my office from my bedroom, 15 feet from the office to the kitchen, or the few laps around the local mall with a stroller!!
Excellent!!
dumpster56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2007, 07:23 PM   #37
Administrator

My knees can't take running any more but I do biking and 6 months back started playing tennis again with a friend 18 years younger than me. (I'm 52). We usually play about 90 minutes and I usually win simply because I'm fitter. It feels great.

I'm still working but I go to the gymn about 4 times a week after work and bike a modest 40 miles on average at a weekend.
Old 05-27-2007, 05:41 AM   #38

Windsurf--I don't know if this helps, but one of the injuries I had was torn cartilage in my right ankle (on top of the talus). It was partially attached so it was just flopping around inside and could cause further injury if left alone. I went in and had it and a bone spur on the same bone removed. The doctor said it would be replaced with scar tissue, and should not cause any more problems. For the most part he was correct, but that is one of the injuries that aches when I get to the 10-15 mpw point.
Old 05-28-2007, 02:07 AM   #39

I've never been a runner. I have short legs. It has always been an effort for me to run.

After I retired, though, I started myself on a fairly serious workout routine. So, today I work out 5 days a week. I do isometrics, sit-ups, push-ups, chest-pull exercises, wrist-spring exercises, and I walk and run. I run 5 days a week for 1.33 miles each day, and I walk about 30 to 40 miles per week. On the weekends, I do not do my normal workout but I usually hike several miles.

This whole routine is interrupted when I travel, but often my travel involves volunteer efforts that require hiking or other physical effort.
sgeeeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 07:57 AM   #40
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgeeeee View Post
I've never been a runner. I have short legs. It has always been an effort for me to run.

After I retired, though, I started myself on a fairly serious workout routine. So, today I work out 5 days a week. I do isometrics, sit-ups, push-ups, chest-pull exercises, wrist-spring exercises, and I walk and run. I run 5 days a week for 1.33 miles each day, and I walk about 30 to 40 miles per week. On the weekends, I do not do my normal workout but I usually hike several miles.

This whole routine is interrupted when I travel, but often my travel involves volunteer efforts that require hiking or other physical effort.
Can you recommend a website or book for isometrics? It's something I've been looking for.